Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok on my 03 vstar 1100 it has a homemade rear fender as close as possible to the tire and is mounted to the swingarm to move with the tire. I did have a cheap small 13x10 bobber seat but it just wasn't enough seat for me so went back to my 15" Larosa, problem im having is when i sit on the bike and imitate a bump the end of the seat smacks the fender just enough to pi$$ me off. was thinking about stiffening up the rear shock to see if it will do away with enough of the rear travel for the La Rosa seat to clear. the shock is currently at the stock setting. bike is lowered 2" and the seat is resting on 2" barrel springs. Anyone have an idea of how much travel i will elimate with stiffening up the rear and how much to go. Just need to find a spanning wrench to fit the rear shock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
had the same issue. switch to max tension, helped about 95% but still hit once in a while. switched to 1 inch drop. rides better than stock now at max tension

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PHP:
had the same issue. switch to max tension, helped about 95% but still hit once in a while. switched to 1 inch drop. rides better than stock now at max tension
yea i maxed the rear shock and it still hits at the 2" drop but i would much rather use the La Rosa so i will be taking it back to 1" drop tomorrow

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
has anyone here replaced the mono shock with a welded strut to make the vstar a hard tail? trying to get details on doing it

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I've seen people go with a solid strut, that's your choice. Not a very comfortable ride. I've not seen many leave it that way for long....one got enough back damage to end his riding completely.

Most go with a Progressive 465 shock....which turns it in to a completely different bike. One of the best things I ever did with mine..

You can see how close my fender is to my seat......it has never hit. I rode it for 4 months that way to make sure it wouldn't before continuing on with the project. That stock 1100 shock really sucks and most are toast at 15,000-20,000 miles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen people go with a solid strut, that's your choice. Not a very comfortable ride. I've not seen many leave it that way for long....one got enough back damage to end his riding completely.

Most go with a Progressive 465 shock....which turns it in to a completely different bike. One of the best things I ever did with mine..

You can see how close my fender is to my seat......it has never hit. I rode it for 4 months that way to make sure it wouldn't before continuing on with the project. That stock 1100 shock really sucks and most are toast at 15,000-20,000 miles.

Thanks for the info looking for cheap alternative for right now so will probably just go back to the 1"drop for now then get the shock you recommended, did you get the stock height or the drop?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
problem solved for now, was able to bend the base pan of the seat enough to clear the fender :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thanks for the info looking for cheap alternative for right now so will probably just go back to the 1"drop for now then get the shock you recommended, did you get the stock height or the drop?
I got the stock height one.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
problem solved for now, was able to bend the base pan of the seat enough to clear the fender :)
That is the main reason I did my own pan to build on. You shouldn't be able to bend a seat pan...and every La Rosa I've seen I could fold up a little too easily. ,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is the main reason I did my own pan to build on. You shouldn't be able to bend a seat pan...and every La Rosa I've seen I could fold up a little too easily. ,

o it wasnt easy it took a press and some shipping blankets (for protecting the leather) i tried numerous time numerous ways to try and bend it a bit but couldnt get anywhere, HOWEVER i can fee the flex when i sit on it so may be doing some more modding to the seat or making a underseat brace to support the very end

1 - 12 of 12 Posts