Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my local dealership let me take one of the Transcont. Ventures on an extended ride by myself. I was able to go on some nice quiet roads to actually listen to the bike and look at the instruments and flick it around a little bit. I noticed a couple of things and wanted to ask about them.

The turn signals.. sometimes they would flash kind of fast sometimes slow. Also are they self cancel? I tried to test it during the ride, but they seemed to stay on longer than I would like.

While riding the security light (I think) was flashing. I had the keys with me so they were not left at the dealership. Anyone come across that?

Anyone found better exhaust for it yet? It is a little too quiet. I am not looking for total BRAAAP but would like morre rumble.

I did not look in the owners manual but how the heck do you use the "sure park"? I put it in neutral and tried the buttons. I guess I missed the turn on switch for it.. LOL

How much of a pain have you found the backwards fuel flap to be?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I did not look in the owners manual but how the heck do you use the "sure park"? I put it in neutral and tried the buttons. I guess I missed the turn on switch for it.. LOL
There should be a lever on your left side below the tank that you supposed to pull down to engage sure park motor clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be a lever on your left side below the tank that you supposed to pull down to engage sure park motor clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGAJiS40SBo
Cool, I was making a video, although I did not need the sure park system I wanted to show it. Its not that big of a deal just wanted to play with it some. I am soooo getting that bike as soon as I can. I test rode 3 bikes that day. I have to be honest. The Harley Ultra and the Venture are neck and neck. What it came down to was the warranty on the Yamaha and their reputation for reliability. I am not going into the full review of either bike but the local Harley dealer did a quote for me with very similar equipment on the Ultra and came out cheaper than the Venture. I was shocked.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Harley needs to do something about their sale decline trend, perhaps that was the reason? I was able to negotiate 4k off the original price when bought my RK so I bet dealers are more "willing to negotiate" these days.

I have "demoed" the Venture a couple of times. It's a cool bike, but I'm not a big fan of fairings, that's why I got the RK (could've got a Street Glide for the same price). Personally I liked the aesthetics of the Eluder better, but I don't really like the name lol

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
So my local dealership let me take one of the Transcont. Ventures on an extended ride by myself. I was able to go on some nice quiet roads to actually listen to the bike and look at the instruments and flick it around a little bit. I noticed a couple of things and wanted to ask about them.

The turn signals.. sometimes they would flash kind of fast sometimes slow. Also are they self cancel? I tried to test it during the ride, but they seemed to stay on longer than I would like.

While riding the security light (I think) was flashing. I had the keys with me so they were not left at the dealership. Anyone come across that?

Anyone found better exhaust for it yet? It is a little too quiet. I am not looking for total BRAAAP but would like morre rumble.

How much of a pain have you found the backwards fuel flap to be?
Hi there NGM. Let’s try to address these questions.
1. YES, the turn signals are self cancelling. They work on time/distance. According to the manual it’s 490ft / 15secomds.
Some people feel that’s a bit long, but I haven’t had an issue.

2. The sound coming from the pipes MATURES as the bike breaks in. In my experience and a few other owners here, it seems that the pipes “burn in” after a few thousand miles and the sound becomes both deeper and louder but not to an annoying level.
Your best bet is to listen to someone who already one with some mileage on it.
Out of curiosity, I myself DID contact both Vance & Hines AND Cobra to see if they had any plans on making something for the new Ventures & Eluders. Both stated “not at this time”.

3. The security light flashing occurs when the bike is running but it cannot detect the signal from the key fob. If you had it in your pocket, chances are that the fob batteries are getting low. If you placed it in the trunk with other stuff, that would be the issue. There’s a small pocket of about a 3ft area, ie rider or passenger (at most) where it can detect the signal. I’ve heard of others having the same issue happen if they put it in the trunk cuz it was in a jacket pocket or something.

4. SUREPARK will work with or without the bike running. The bike must be turned “ON” and whether running or not must be in “NEUTRAL”. Just flip the lever down located along the bottom left of the gas tank. When you do that, you will see the display screen say “SUREPARK ON”. Just push the button in the left handlebar control to move forward or backward. The system will only allow you to continuously run it for 50 seconds. After that time, it will wait for 5 minutes before letting you use it again. I’m not sure if that’s due to battery usage or what?

5. The fuel door is rather “ODD” in my opinion. Don’t know why they have it opening backwards, but you get used to it. I haven’t spilled fuel all over because of it if that’s your concern.

Glad you enjoyed your test ride! IMHO, it has more than enough power, and is VERY comfortable. There are so many amenities that it does take a while to learn them all, but once you get things set up the way you want (many features and screen displays are customizable) you won’t hardly have to just glance at the screen to confirm a selection.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The system will only allow you to continuously run it for 50 seconds. After that time, it will wait for 5 minutes before letting you use it again. I’m not sure if that’s due to battery usage or what?
To let the motor cool down? I assume it's the same deal as with the starter

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
The system will only allow you to continuously run it for 50 seconds. After that time, it will wait for 5 minutes before letting you use it again. I’m not sure if that’s due to battery usage or what?
To let the motor cool down? I assume it's the same deal as with the starter
Maybe. Unlike the others that use the starter motor, the SVTC has a dedicated motor for this. It could be susceptible to the same heat issue I suppose.
Regardless why, it does cut out for 5 min after 50 seconds of continual usage.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The key fob light coming on is because the signal was blocked, the manual addresses this as well, I have noticed it depends on how the key fob is located in my right front pocket as to if the key fob light will come on because it has lost communication between the fob and the bike. I just reach down and move the key fob through my pant leg and it picks up the signal and the light goes out.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I doubt you are going to find many companies willing to jump in with an exhaust because the catalytic converters are in the mufflers, Harley has moved to the same set up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi there NGM. Let’s try to address these questions.
1. YES, the turn signals are self cancelling. They work on time/distance. According to the manual it’s 490ft / 15secomds.
Some people feel that’s a bit long, but I haven’t had an issue.

2. The sound coming from the pipes MATURES as the bike breaks in. In my experience and a few other owners here, it seems that the pipes “burn in” after a few thousand miles and the sound becomes both deeper and louder but not to an annoying level.
Your best bet is to listen to someone who already one with some mileage on it.
Out of curiosity, I myself DID contact both Vance & Hines AND Cobra to see if they had any plans on making something for the new Ventures & Eluders. Both stated “not at this time”.

3. The security light flashing occurs when the bike is running but it cannot detect the signal from the key fob. If you had it in your pocket, chances are that the fob batteries are getting low. If you placed it in the trunk with other stuff, that would be the issue. There’s a small pocket of about a 3ft area, ie rider or passenger (at most) where it can detect the signal. I’ve heard of others having the same issue happen if they put it in the trunk cuz it was in a jacket pocket or something.

4. SUREPARK will work with or without the bike running. The bike must be turned “ON” and whether running or not must be in “NEUTRAL”. Just flip the lever down located along the bottom left of the gas tank. When you do that, you will see the display screen say “SUREPARK ON”. Just push the button in the left handlebar control to move forward or backward. The system will only allow you to continuously run it for 50 seconds. After that time, it will wait for 5 minutes before letting you use it again. I’m not sure if that’s due to battery usage or what?

5. The fuel door is rather “ODD” in my opinion. Don’t know why they have it opening backwards, but you get used to it. I haven’t spilled fuel all over because of it if that’s your concern.

Glad you enjoyed your test ride! IMHO, it has more than enough power, and is VERY comfortable. There are so many amenities that it does take a while to learn them all, but once you get things set up the way you want (many features and screen displays are customizable) you won’t hardly have to just glance at the screen to confirm a selection.

Addressing #5 the fuel door - I asked this at one of the demo rides a they stated in case the fuel splashed out it would help protect you and the bike from getting spray, covered. Or at least a little less.
Also he mentioned that you have less issues of scratching the bike with the handle.
With that I still think it is an odd design but at least I have an answer to anyone that asks.
Also the top of the fuel has a good drainage system in case of spillage, it will divert the gas thru the tray and to the ground.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Addressing #5 the fuel door - I asked this at one of the demo rides a they stated in case the fuel splashed out it would help protect you and the bike from getting spray, covered. Or at least a little less.
Also he mentioned that you have less issues of scratching the bike with the handle.
With that I still think it is an odd design but at least I have an answer to anyone that asks.
Also the top of the fuel has a good drainage system in case of spillage, it will divert the gas thru the tray and to the ground.
I'd like to add, that when the bike is on the side stand at the gas pump, if you turn the handle bars fully to the right, there is very open access room to the gas gap ahead of the vertical, open access door. I have found no problem, in fueling this bike, or the chance of the pump handle tip scratching the bike putting it to, or removing it from the gas tank opening. No reports yet of anybody having broken off the open door by having torqued on it, by clumsy handling of the gas pump handle. Not one. Owners are having no problem with this design.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'd like to add, that when the bike is on the side stand at the gas pump, if you turn the handle bars fully to the right, there is very open access room to the gas gap ahead of the vertical, open access door. I have found no problem, in fueling this bike, or the chance of the pump handle tip scratching the bike putting it to, or removing it from the gas tank opening. No reports yet of anybody having broken off the open door by having torqued on it, by clumsy handling of the gas pump handle. Not one. Owners are having no problem with this design.

Dilly - Dilly, I don't want to be the first for that to happen. I hope that door it really flexible.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The key fob light coming on is because the signal was blocked, the manual addresses this as well, I have noticed it depends on how the key fob is located in my right front pocket as to if the key fob light will come on because it has lost communication between the fob and the bike. I just reach down and move the key fob through my pant leg and it picks up the signal and the light goes out.
The key(s) were in the left front cubby on the bike. I wonder if the batteries were low due to them being on the bike all the time.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The key(s) were in the left front cubby on the bike. I wonder if the batteries were low due to them being on the bike all the time.
It has been discovered that leaving the keys in one of the cubby holes on the bike can disrupt the signal, it does not take much to block the signal, that is a good thing, you do not want the signal so strong that you walk into the business and someone can start your bike a drive off with it, which even with the limited signal in the right conditions can still happen on any keyless switch vehicle.

My dealer made mention that they were having issues with the key fob light coming on on the dash and they finally figured out that it was because they were putting the key fob in one of the cubby holes, when they stopped doing that the problem stopped.

Like I said it depends on how the key fob is arranged in my pocket it will sometimes cause the lost connection, all I do is push the key fob in my pocket so that it is not behind the keys I have attached to it and push it so that it is the closest item in my pocket to the bike.

I know just make sure the key fob is in my right front pants pocket a certain way and have no issues when I do that.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This is from the owners manual:

NOTICE

The smart key system uses weak radio waves. The smart key system may not work in the following situations.

* The smart key is played in a location exposed to strong radio waves or other electromagnetic noise.

* There are facilities nearby that are emitting strong radio waves (TV or radio towers, power plants, broadcasting stations, airports, ect.)

* You are carrying or using communication equipment such as radios or mobile phones in close proximity of the smart key.

* Other vehicles equipped with a smart key system are nearby.

In such situations, move the smart key to another location and perform the operation again. It it still does not work, operate the vehicle in emergency mode. (See page 9-36.)

Operating range of the key

The vehicle will recognize the smart key from a range of about 31.5 inches from the riders seat, excluding the storage compartment, saddlebags or tour trunk.

So there you go, right in the owners manual it out right tells you that placing the key fob in the storage compartments will effect the range of the key fob.

NGM, you created your own problem with the smart key by placing it in a cubby hole and that is clearly documented in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It has been discovered that leaving the keys in one of the cubby holes on the bike can disrupt the signal, it does not take much to block the signal, that is a good thing, you do not want the signal so strong that you walk into the business and someone can start you bike a drive off with it, which even with the limited signal in the right conditions can still happen on any keyless switch vehicle.

My dealer made mention that they were having issues with the key fob light coming on on the dash and they finally figured out that it was because they were putting the key fob in one of the cubby holes, when they stopped doing that the problem stopped.

Like I said it depends on how the key fob is arranged in my pocket it will sometimes cause the lost connection, all I do is push the key fob in my pocket so that it is not behind the keys I have attached to it and push it so that it is the closest item in my pocket to the bike.

I know just make sure the key fob is in my right front pants pocket a certain way and have no issues when I do that.
That’s pretty much it Bill. Right front pocket for me, and I don’t put anything else in that pocket with the fob either. Have never had a problem.
I too have heard about the front bike pocket being a problem.

·
Registered
691 Posts

Dilly - Dilly, I don't want to be the first for that to happen. I hope that door it really flexible.
Like has been said pull up to fuel pump with them on the left side of the bike, turn the handlebars all the way to the right and you have open unobstructed access to the fuel filler opening, I never come close to touching the fuel filler door doing this. I did once pull up to a pump with it on the right side of the bike and due to the lean on the kick stand and having to turn the handlebars all the way to the left it makes it very hard to fuel the bike and yes you could damage the fuel filler door that way.

The reason for fuel filler doors opening to the rear is safety, I dug it up years ago, but I don't remember were I found it at and have not been able to find it again, but I found that it is some federal requirement that called for the doors to open to the rear to keep fuel from splashing on you.

Just fuel the bike with the pump always on the left side and this is a non issue.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

NOTICE

The smart key system uses weak radio waves. The smart key system may not work in the following situations.

* The smart key is played in a location exposed to strong radio waves or other electromagnetic noise.

* There are facilities nearby that are emitting strong radio waves (TV or radio towers, power plants, broadcasting stations, airports, ect.)

* You are carrying or using communication equipment such as radios or mobile phones in close proximity of the smart key.

In such situations, move the smart key to another location and perform the operation again. It it still does not work, operate the vehicle in emergency mode. (See page 9-36.)

The vehicle will recognize the smart key from a range of about 31.5 inches from the riders seat, excluding the storage compartment, saddlebags or tour trunk.

So there you go, right in the owners manual it out right tells you that placing the key fob in the storage compartments will effect the range of the key fob.

I really wish people would stop taking a short test ride and making videos and then document issues as a problem when the truth is they just don't know anything about the bike and the owners manual covers what ever the supposed issue was in said videos.

NGM, you created your own problem with the smart key by placing it in a cubby hole and that is clearly documented in the owners manual.
I did not put the key there, the dealer did. That test ride I went on was over half an hour. I did NOT mention the light coming on as an issue anywhere in the video or the write up. I feel I gave the bike an honest ride, Other than a WOT run. I will not flog on a bike that (A) is not mine and (B) is brand new. I noticed it on and asked here. I did not read the owners manual for the test ride. If you notice I even mention in the video I am not going to play with the buttons just ride the bike. I did try to use the sure park system when I got back, but edited that out of the video because I did not know how it worked. I have sat on the bike enough and played with the infotainment system in the store to have a inkling of it.

From that quote out of the owners manual it sounds like the antenna is under or near the seat. I might have to invent a pocket on the seat to slide the key into. I have some good shops around me that I BET can do that.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

NOTICE

I really wish people would stop taking a short test ride and making videos and then document issues as a problem when the truth is they just don't know anything about the bike and the owners manual covers what ever the supposed issue was in said videos.

I did not put the key there, the dealer did. That test ride I went on was over half an hour. I did NOT mention the light coming on as an issue anywhere in the video or the write up. I feel I gave the bike an honest ride, Other than a WOT run. I will not flog on a bike that (A) is not mine and (B) is brand new. I noticed it on and asked here. I did not read the owners manual for the test ride. If you notice I even mention in the video I am not going to play with the buttons just ride the bike. I did try to use the sure park system when I got back, but edited that out of the video because I did not know how it worked. I have sat on the bike enough and played with the infotainment system in the store to have a inkling of it.

From that quote out of the owners manual it sounds like the antenna is under or near the seat. I might have to invent a pocket on the seat to slide the key into. I have some good shops around me that I BET can do that.
Good morning NGM!
Yes, the receiver module for the smart key is directly under the riders seat..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts