Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Genghis and I live in Central California. I just picked up a 2006 VStar 1100 Silverado with 25k miles on it. I replaced the stock bars with 10" rize z-bars, took off the internal bar heaters and replaced them with external heaters and rewired them to work with the Oxford Intelligent Heat Controller I just purchased. Over the heaters are my rubber/chrome flame grips. I also put on LED lighting in my front fender and all around my bike. I added a car horn to the existing air horn to make myself more noticeable when needed.

As for myself, I've been riding since I was 16, but consistently for the last 20 years. My first bike was a Yamaha XT200 enduro which was a blast. Then I had a Suzuki Savage 650 which i rode until a garage messed it up. I replaced that with an 86 Suzuki Intruder 750 which I customized with oak veneer and customer seating. When that died, I picked up a 2004 Suzuki SV650S in 2008 which I customized for sport touring. I bought that bike with 20k miles on it and it now has 100,236 miles on it! I just recently picked up my VStar 1100 because I need a more upright position now that I'm older. I love this bike but I have to constantly remind myself that I can't lean or turn as fast as I can on my SV...lol.

I always said that if I were to go back to a cruiser, I would pick up a Suzuki or Yamaha and I am so glad I got the Yamaha. This bike runs great! It already had the oil filter relocation mod done as well as K&N air pod mod. It also has the Mustang seats so everything I was thinking I would have to do to it has already been done.

I'm looking forward to learning more about my bike and seeing everyone else's. Have a great day!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I just put some pics in my profile. I'll get more recent ones up soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome from southwestern PA. Nice ride ya got there. I have the same air filter on mine. Just got a set of 16" apes for it but still need to get all the cables and such to get them mounted. Good to have ya aboard.

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
Hi and welcome. Looking forward to seeing the pic's of your ride and your contributions. We have quite a few 1100 members here, and everyone is willing to help each other out. Ride safely!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah...the funny thing is that air cleaner is just for looks. The PO did K&N pods under the tank and converted the air cleaner to a stebel air horn. I put a stebel electric horn up front above my oil filter to make myself more noticeable. The air cleaner cover muffled the air horn so I drilled a hole pattern where the sound comes out. I did that before I had the better idea of adding the second horn. I'll post more pics this weekend when I have more time.

I'm looking forward to learning more tips and tricks and hopefully giving some back. I come from an automotive manufacturing background so I'm quite adept at modifying and making things instead of buying them.

My next small project is converting my fog lights to LED. I already ordered LED bulbs for my front turn signals. I'm also going to install a brake light flasher I bought and built for my other bike. I need to get my power consumption down. I've killed my battery three times leaving my grip heaters on before I put the smart controller on. So a new lithium battery is coming after new years. With my LED accents, fog lights and heated grips I'm suckling too much power.

Thanks for the great welcome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts