Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some here that will know what I am talking about, but at another forum there was a contingent that was mad because Yamaha did not put a liquid cooled V-4 in the new Star Venture motorcycles.

It was said by this group that Yamaha would be unloading these Star ventures for under $20,000 to get rid of them. They even went so far as to say that dealers were unable to move their stock on hand right now.

I am still waiting for the fire sale but the problem is these Star Ventures are selling and so far the only thing Yamaha has offered is some attractive financing offers, nothing on a reduction in price.

Old CP (initials) and his gang might just be eating crow on this one, hope they have some salt and pepper handy.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
There are some here that will know what I am talking about, but at another forum there was a contingent that was mad because Yamaha did not put a liquid cooled V-4 in the new Star Venture motorcycles.

It was said by this group that Yamaha would be unloading these Star ventures for under $20,000 to get rid of them. They even went so far as to say that dealers were unable to move their stock on hand right now.

I am still waiting for the fire sale but the problem is these Star Ventures are selling and so far the only thing Yamaha has offered is some attractive financing offers, nothing on a reduction in price.

Old CP (initials) and his gang might just be eating crow on this one, hope they have some salt and pepper handy.
“Crow”?? Heck, let them eat the FECES they dished out! No “salt & pepper”, just the piquant flavor of their crap. Maybe a little corn for texture.
Hope they (CP) enjoy it.

Besides, those same naysayers complained about the SVTC price point and DONT buy new anyways. All their whining was just to justify in their own minds a reason not to get one. The funny part is, if they’d have given them their “beloved V4”, the price point would’ve been about &3-4K HIGHER.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
“Crow”?? Heck, let them eat the FECES they dished out! No “salt & pepper”, just the piquant flavor of their crap. Maybe a little corn for texture.
Hope they (CP) enjoy it.

Besides, those same naysayers complained about the SVTC price point and DONT buy new anyways. All their whining was just to justify in their own minds a reason not to get one. The funny part is, if they’d have given them their “beloved V4”, the price point would’ve been about &3-4K HIGHER.
Yep, I picked up that same point, they all said the same thing, they would not pay $25,000 to $28,000 dollars for a motorcycle, everyone of them said they would wait until they were on the used market before they would buy one and even then they would not pay over $3,000 to $4,000 dollars by their own admissions.

I am very happy with my purchase, this Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental has exceeded all my expectations so far.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hope they (CP) enjoy it.

Yep, I picked up that same point, they all said the same thing, they would not pay $25,000 to $28,000 dollars for a motorcycle, everyone of them said they would wait until they were on the used market before they would buy one and even then they would not pay over $3,000 to $4,000 dollars by their own admissions.

I am very happy with my purchase, this Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental has exceeded all my expectations so far.
If they’re waiting for a $3-4K used price point they’re gonna be waiting a LONG time! Will probably have 200k+ miles on it by that time cuz this thing just EATS UP the miles! I’m over 10k on mine so far.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hahaha....I've been inspired by all the reports here. Sadly I'm not in the market for another bike at this time (although initial reports make me long for a SVTC). But if the used market had them in that price range I'd buy one tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hahaha....I've been inspired by all the reports here. Sadly I'm not in the market for another bike at this time (although initial reports make me long for a SVTC). But if the used market had them in that price range I'd buy one tomorrow!
Sorry Brad but you won’t be seeing one of those for a LONG time!

·
Registered
809 Posts
LOL...ain't gonna happen...in 7 years, I'll still get $14,000-$16,000.00 dollars from my dealer on my trade of my 2018 for a SVTC 2025 model. Just like I did, for my traded 2008 GL1800. It's all how you maintain them...and the appearance of the motorcycle is 80% of the equation. If it still looks 'showroom', the dollars come back to you, because it is an easy sell for the dealer.

They are at the top of the food chain....and rest in the $$$ strata. Sales will be slowly linear as the economy in the U.S. and Canada isn't exactly BOOMING.....but that aside, if my dealer COULD have gotten four more....well, there would be four more out upon the Ontario roadways, right now. He is so freakin' mad at Yamaha Canada for not having the product available. Simply that....fire sales? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO....he has people lined up to GET THEM at $1,000.00 off of list (all dealers in Canada would offer you that, right off).....right now! IF...he could get them..and that...is the quandary....he can't!!!!

Post Edit: Every time he sees me ride in, he grimaces....not because he doesn't want to see me...but because; "THERE IS THAT DAMN BIKE, I can't $**#(((@@ GET!" It really p*sses him off!

Fire sales? ROTFLMAO!

Joe

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think this is funny.

Here are some tidbits.

The new bikes haven't even been available for a year yet. They are still 2018 models.

There are no factual sales numbers on these that are available to the general public, only Yamaha knows.

All the positive reviews from the motorcycle magazines are magazines Yamaha advertises in. If you look at reviews in the same magazines of other bikes, you see similar glowing comments.

Yamaha is marketing the heck out of this bike right now, and advertising, testimonials. Would Yamaha put bad reviews from riders on their site. Um no...

So it is way too early to say these bikes are a success or a failure. Correct me if I am wrong but far as I can tell there are only 4 to 5 owners on this forum so far, and yes they are very proud and vocal with there bikes which is perfectly fine

Many think the Venture /Eluder look incredible, and others think it looks horrible.

So it will be a few years before we really know.

One interesting thing is there was a review of these bikes comparing it to the others, BMW, Harley, Indian, and Honda. Most of the reviewers said they thought the Yamaha came out on top but not everyone. But when they were asked if they were going to buy one, NONE picked the Yamaha.

Many make purchase decisions on re-sale or value. Keep in mind if you wreck the bike in a year and it is totaled does your insurance company have replacement insurance or are they only going to pay current market value. That in itself could be a big factor.

My local dealer got 6 of these bikes in in January, they have only sold one. The other 5 are still there.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think this is funny.

Here are some tidbits.

The new bikes haven't even been available for a year yet. They are still 2018 models.

There are no factual sales numbers on these that are available to the general public, only Yamaha knows.

All the positive reviews from the motorcycle magazines are magazines Yamaha advertises in. If you look at reviews in the same magazines of other bikes, you see similar glowing comments.

Yamaha is marketing the heck out of this bike right now, and advertising, testimonials. Would Yamaha put bad reviews from riders on their site. Um no...

So it is way too early to say these bikes are a success or a failure. Correct me if I am wrong but far as I can tell there are only 4 to 5 owners on this forum so far, and yes they are very proud and vocal with there bikes which is perfectly fine

Many think the Venture /Eluder look incredible, and others think it looks horrible.

So it will be a few years before we really know.

One interesting thing is there was a review of these bikes comparing it to the others, BMW, Harley, Indian, and Honda. Most of the reviewers said they thought the Yamaha came out on top but not everyone. But when they were asked if they were going to buy one, NONE picked the Yamaha.

Many make purchase decisions on re-sale or value. Keep in mind if you wreck the bike in a year and it is totaled does your insurance company have replacement insurance or are they only going to pay current market value. That in itself could be a big factor.

My local dealer got 6 of these bikes in in January, they have only sold one. The other 5 are still there.
As far as insurance goes, I have replacement value. Yes, that also includes the value of my upgrades.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check, we can put baron58 in the nay sayer camp.

You missed the entire point, the nay sayers were saying Yamaha would be discounting these bikes by over $5,000 to $7,000 dollars and that would only get the price down to $20,000 dollars.

I had to scratch Indian off my buy list because they still insist on using a cable for the clutch on a $27,999 dollar Roadmaster and even the mid $30,000 dollar Roadmaster Elite. As much as I like the Indians I will not pay that kind of money and get a cable operated clutch.

·
Registered
317 Posts

You missed the entire point, the nay sayers were saying Yamaha would be discounting these bikes by over $5,000 to $7,000 dollars and that would only get the price down to $20,000 dollars.

I had to scratch Indian off my buy list because they still insist on using a cable for the clutch on a $27,999 dollar Roadmaster and even the mid $30,000 dollar Roadmaster Elite. As much as I like the Indians I will not pay that kind of money and get a cable operated clutch.
Give it another year, the bike is still in the first year. No company discounts them in the first year. As for clutches. Indian went with cable because that is what riders wanted, many prefer the feel and control of cable verses the on and off hydraulic clutch behavior. Also I have never never had a clutch cable break or replaced. Proper lubrication and maintenance will make the cable last a very long time.

BTW it is much cheaper to put a Hydraulic clutch on a vehicle.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

I would tend to agree with your assessment. It seems pretty evident.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if we are being trolled from that other board ChiefGunner.

As for the clutch cable, sorry but I prefer a hydraulic clutch, the Victory forums has far to many documented cases of broken clutch cables over the years.

When I purchased my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour I had a Victory hydraulic clutch kit waiting at my house, the day I picked up the Cross Country Tour I rode it home and immediately removed the clutch cable and installed the hydraulic clutch kit, never had a single problem and no clutch adjustments required with the hydraulic clutch kit. Took me all of one hour start to finish to do the job.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I wonder if we are being trolled from that other board ChiefGunner.

As for the clutch cable, sorry but I prefer a hydraulic clutch, the Victory forums has far to many documented cases of broken clutch cables over the years.

When I purchased my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour I had a Victory hydraulic clutch kit waiting at my house, the day I picked up the Cross Country Tour I rode it home and immediately removed the clutch cable and installed the hydraulic clutch kit, never had a single problem and no clutch adjustments required with the hydraulic clutch kit. Took me all of one hour start to finish to do the job.
I have my suspicions about the “trolling”. A certain individual (CP) was already caught doing that.

As far as the clutch goes, hydraulic is superior to cable any day of the week and TWICE on Sundays!

·
Registered
5,378 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sorry Brad but you won’t be seeing one of those for a LONG time!
for $20,000 savings I can wait.

How long till you have 10,000 miles on your odo?

https://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2007-yamaha-venture/6648116120.html

you guys seem to be having an argument with people on another forum who are not here.
I’m already at 10,632. Why do you ask?
If it’s “comparison”, the SVTC and the other venture are not even close. The technological advancements alone put it on a completely different level. It’s like comparing a Lexus to a VW.

Yes, We ran into some undesirables on another forum which is why we left en mass and came over here. Their loss not ours.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I would think it would be like comparing a 2007 Yamaha with a 2018 yamaha.

My neighbor has a 2000 Lexus, its a delightful car to drive. Its nothing like a VW.

If you are happy with your motorcycle, that is all that matters. Who cares what anyone else thinks or what they want to ride.

Its not a contest. You bought what you want and you get to keep it for as long as you like, no matter how many more bikes Yamaha sells. If they sell a lot your bike value will drop pretty quick because there will be millions of them on the street. If they dont sell very many and drop the model, your bike value will drop pretty quick because they will unload the unsold bikes cheap.

If the bike sells somewhere in between it will hold its value, but again, whats to be so emotional about?!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would think it would be like comparing a 2007 Yamaha with a 2018 yamaha.

My neighbor has a 2000 Lexus, its a delightful car to drive. Its nothing like a VW.

If you are happy with your motorcycle, that is all that matters. Who cares what anyone else thinks or what they want to ride.

Its not a contest. You bought what you want and you get to keep it for as long as you like, no matter how many more bikes Yamaha sells. If they sell a lot your bike value will drop pretty quick because there will be millions of them on the street. If they dont sell very many and drop the model, your bike value will drop pretty quick because they will unload the unsold bikes cheap.

If the bike sells somewhere in between it will hold its value, but again, whats to be so emotional about?!
You seem to have taken quite an interest in this issue by your posts in this thread. This bike was released late due to a glitch on the assembly line, we are coming up on the 2019 model year, according to the nay sayers Yamaha was going to be dumping this bike for under $20,000 dollars just to unload them because they did not put in the liquid cooled V-4 they wanted so badly.

The truth is this bike has gotten rave reviews from testers, the only place is seems to get critical reviews are the short youtube videos mainly from the same group who are mad because Yamaha dared to exclude their beloved v-4.

Yamaha went down the V4 path twice with this bike and it just did not sell in big enough numbers to justify them keeping it.

The only thing I can find is some attractive financing offers, no rebates or fire sale prices by Yamaha.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts