Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04, 1700 seems like it clanks a bit hard when shifting into first gear from a dead stop. I have been downshifting into first while the bike is still moving before coming to a complete stop and goes into first with no problem, nice and smooth.

Is it normal for it to clank a bit hard going into first from a dead stop ?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My 04, 1700 seems like it clanks a bit hard when shifting into first gear from a dead stop. I have been downshifting into first while the bike is still moving before coming to a complete stop and goes into first with no problem, nice and smooth.

Is it normal for it to clank a bit hard going into first from a dead stop ?
In my experience, that’s pretty common that bikes will down shift into first smoother while rolling vs shifting into first while at a dead stop. I think it has something to do with the moving drivetrain while rolling vs one that is static.
Anyways that’s my understanding of it.
Any of you wrench head gurus want to confirm or correct my hypothesis?

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
with straight cut transmission gears you want the output shaft to be moving (bike rolling) when you shift

if its not moving its teeth into teeth

always shift down while slowing down

also as soon as you stop you might need to move again, so you want to be in the right gear all the time

·
Registered
262 Posts
Every motorcycle does it , just some are more noticeable then others and it is usually into first gear, it seems the bigger the engine the louder the clunk. I have heard Harleys do it from several feet away and I am hard of hearing.:cool:

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,482 Posts
Have you checked and/or changed the transfer case fluid. Going to a synthetic fluid usually quiets the noise some. From 1700 owners manual:

·
Registered
159 Posts
With a wet clutch there will be a little drag on the plates when disengaged ,so the transmission main shaft is still moving even when the clutch is pulled in. When you put it in gear CLUNK as the gears mesh and everything in the tranny stops turning. Most, if not all bikes do this. The bigger the engine, the bigger the tranny gears and the bigger the clunk.
Don't worry about it. Bike trannys are built tough! Check the forums, very very rare for any transmission problems.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
With a wet clutch there will be a little drag on the plates when disengaged ,so the transmission main shaft is still moving even when the clutch is pulled in. When you put it in gear CLUNK ...
that is why you want to downshift to 1st while the bike is still rolling between 10 and 5 mph - the two parts that engage will be spinning together

and it will nicely drop into 1st gear with a click

instead of jamming the teeth of the spinning gear on the clutch shaft into the stopped gear connected to the rear wheel

·
2,515 Posts
Every bike I've ridden does that too. Same thing with semis. Square cut gears and they don't use synchronizers in the transmission so you have to match your speed and rpms correctly to shift. I guess it was just second nature to me when I got back into riding so I never really gave it much thought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts