Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea how old the fork oil was in my Classic 650 when I bought it, but the bike had only 20,400 km on it (about 13k miles), so that is the absolute maximum distance the fork oil had done. Probably less, because it did not stench like 18 year old fork oil with 13k miles on it typically would.

When replacing the oil, I flushed the fork repeatedly. First with white spirit, then with engine oil, then once with fork oil after only clean oil came out of the forks. Since I am experiencing trouble getting sufficient damping, I have replaced the fork oil twice already; after 1000 and after 2000 miles.

So how does fork oil look after 1000 miles? Like this - it was clear when new:

Don't know about you, but I like to replace my fork oil every 5k miles or so. Both to make sure the damping remains adequate and to flush all the grinding particles out.

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
709 Posts
Bought my 07 Vstar1300 in 2010. It has almost 40K on the clock. Have never touched the fork oil...I think that gets added to the list for late fall.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,647 Posts
I dunno @faffi , you might have a fork fetish :)

As long as my suspension is damping adequately, fork maintenance will probably be one of those things that never gets touched. As discussed in the "Let's be honest" thread.

Reactions: Oilcan

·
Registered
885 Posts
Educate me please. I always thought that the engine oil turned black as a result of combustion remnants being mixed into the oil. If that is correct and there is no combustion taking place in the fork, why does the color change? (Also then, why does the motoroil change color?)

Reactions: AlanRides

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,647 Posts
Contaminants. Seal wear, metal wear, surface oxidation. And it doesn't take much of that to color water clear oil.

Reactions: AlanRides

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,278 Posts
I'm fairly certain there is some oil in mine, I think... :-0

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For each mile, the oil will offer reduced damping (from breaking down) and increased wear (due to film strength and more contaminants that work as grinding material). Whether the deterioration is enough to worry you or warrant frequent replacement really depends on how much importance you place on suspension performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts