Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you all handle test rides when you're selling a bike? I've seen some ads that say "no test rides", and I can't imagine buying a vehicle of any kind without driving/riding it... that said, now that I'm selling my bike, I can't help but feel a little nervous about letting someone ride off on it, lol.

So... do you ask for 'cash in hand' before letting someone test ride with a "you break it you buy it" kind of policy? And how do buyers feel about that kind of thing?

I've only ever bought two bikes... first one wouldn't turn over so a test ride wasn't an option. Second one the guy was more than happy to let me take it for a good ride.

·
Super Moderator
6,420 Posts
That's actually a good question CT. From an LEOs perspective, if they're a serious buyer, I'd verify they have a valid drivers license and proof of current insurance. If they're a legit person, they won't hesitate showing you the appropriate paperwork. And....yes you can request to see them, it's your property and you're the owner. You may let your insurance company know what's going on and get their feedback. Insurance companies vary so much from state to state. Just my 0.2 cents worth, hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
CT,
I've sold two bikes and only one out of four potential buyers that wanted a test ride and it worked out fine. As for the buyers, one didn't test ride only sat on it and the other didn't want a test ride but ask to drive along side to listen as I changed gears.

IMO go with your gut. Ask for cash in hand if it makes you comfortable, your gonna give them the title at that point anyway. If they walk up to the meeting place that's a hard no. Chances are they may not come back.
Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting topic. I have a bike for sale, but so far I have only had one inquiry, and when I asked about riding experience the prospective buyer got a bit cagey, so I told him the price was firm, cash in hand. Didn't hear from him again. That being said, anyone interested in a slightly modified Boulevard?:laugh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have sold 2 bikes and the same as Apples, a lot don't want to test ride. But a few do. I have turned a few down for a test ride even after verifying that they had a license. Best advice is go with your gut, if it don't feel right it probably is not.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Dont let anyone ride your bike unless they have a valid MC license, or it will be YOUR butt on the line.

Your insurance covers the bike, not the person, so if you let someone ride it you are covered.

Since they showed you their license, if they want a test ride, hold their license. If they dont come back you call the cops and you have their ID. And most likely their car is still in your driveway.

One sticky point is how they get the bike home if they buy it. I have driven my car that I just sold to other peoples homes, so they can get the car there with 'my plates'. Then I take the plates off and ride home with my wife or son. Dont let anyone ride off with your plates on the vehicle, because once money changes hands, its not yours anymore and the plates are not valid.

The thing to be aware of is how this all happens. If they ask YOU "will you drive it to my house?" they could be setting you up. If you ask them how they will get the bike home, and they come up empty, then you can offer to ride it there. Its up to you, and its on your terms that way.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
There's no plates/insurance on the bike.

that really narrows it down then, unless you have a big driveway they are not getting much of a test ride.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
if i had a bike that i ever considered selling (i'll never sell mine), assuming it was more than just some old beater that i didn't care much about, i think i would only let them sit on it and start it up so they can hear if the engine sounds good. you can tell a lot without needing to go through all the gears and take it on the road. just wouldn't be worth it for me to let a complete stranger take off with it. too much can happen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One thing I've done is text conditions to the potential buyer and have them text back "I agree". Things like if an accident regardless of who is at fault I agree to buy - I will not hold the seller responsible for any mishap during test ride - etc. It's better than not doing it, and it may hold up in court. It usually does.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In the two bikes I've bought I had a family friend test ride the first since I didn't know how to ride and the second I offered to give him cash in hand while I test rode. My wife stayed there with her van while I rode it up and down the street.

From the sellers perspective definitely no test ride without full cash asking price and signed document that if they lay it down or do any damage they bought it. When I test rode my current bike I only had a MC permit, no license yet. Luckily, he didn't care as he had full cash in his hand.

If they don't agree to cash in hand, signed and a vehicle or person and their ID left behind I wouldn't OK a test ride.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would have to simply say just trust your instincts. So many variables and each case if different. As far as the money in hand, yeah that's a good policy but looking at it from the other side of the fence...I'm personally would be apprehensive about handing someone I don't know a fist full of my bills hoping he will hive them back if I don't like the bike.
Interesting thread here.

·
Registered
346 Posts
So... do you ask for 'cash in hand' before letting someone test ride with a "you break it you buy it" kind of policy? And how do buyers feel about that kind of thing?
YES you ask for cash n hand before any test rides are allowed.

Any serious buyer would be okay with this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts