Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be selling my stock v star 950 pipe. It's in good working condition, I'm selling it because I just ordered the cobra slash cut pipes. I'm gonna be holding on to some of the screws for the pipe because i'll need to use them for the new pipes but the rest needs to go. It'd be a shame just to throw the whole thing away so i'm gonna sell it to whom ever wants to come and pick them up. I'm willing to sell it for whatever you think is a fair price for them. I live in NYC and don't want to deal with shipping it, so if you live near by you can come and pick them up. Also, a friend of mine is doing the same for his bike so I'll have two stock pipes that need to go.

If you're interested you can reply to this and we'll take it from there. If I don't hear anything in the next week or two I'll probably have to get rid of them in the junkyard, unless someone knows a better way to get them off my hands.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Did you also get a fuel management control to go along with your new Cobra Slash Cuts? If not you should think about getting a Cobra FI2000R module. After market pipes tend to lean out the fuel mixture and you don't want to damage your engine:eek: due to lean mixture overheating.:mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you also get a fuel management control to go along with your new Cobra Slash Cuts? If not you should think about getting a Cobra FI2000R module. After market pipes tend to lean out the fuel mixture and you don't want to damage your engine:eek: due to lean mixture overheating.:mad:
Thanks for the heads up, but yeah I did get fuel management system. Thanks again for looking out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the mod was a temp fix until I could find some pipes that I would like. Tho the mod I did does sound better and performance was better, the exhaust itself is a bulky eye sore for my tastes. I found some pipes that I think will look better on the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have more detailed instructions on how to install the Cobra FI2000R module on the v star 950??? I just installed the cobra pipes and they are Fantastic. I thought I could install the module myself too but I looked at the printed instructions and I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. the diagram is simple but i couldn't tell what represented what. When I lifted the gas tank I just didn't know what was what. Anyone have a video or photos of this? I would like to install it myself instead of hanging my head and taking it to the shop. Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
it's simple, after you think about it.

you unplug the fuel injecors wiring,

and plug that into the CObra, and plug the cobra's output into the fuel injectors.

and it has a ground wire.

take another look under there, and you will figure it out.

do you know what the fuel inj's will look like?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
it's simple, after you think about it.

you unplug the fuel injecors wiring,

and plug that into the CObra, and plug the cobra's output into the fuel injectors.

and it has a ground wire.

take another look under there, and you will figure it out.

do you know what the fuel inj's will look like?
And there in lies the problem. I'm pretty handy with the tools but I'm just not what you would call automotively inclined. :)

I looked under the gas tank but I didn't know what I was looking at. I'm sure it's pretty simple because it's just connecting plugs to each other I just don't know which plugs are which. so to simply answer your question, no I don't know what the fuel injectors look like nor do I know where they are located exactly. And the diagram that came with the instructions didn't really help me out either. I was hoping someone would have photos or a video, so I can understand it better than I do (which is very little).

·
Registered
162 Posts
And there in lies the problem. I'm pretty handy with the tools but I'm just not what you would call automotively inclined. :)

I looked under the gas tank but I didn't know what I was looking at. I'm sure it's pretty simple because it's just connecting plugs to each other I just don't know which plugs are which. so to simply answer your question, no I don't know what the fuel injectors look like nor do I know where they are located exactly. And the diagram that came with the instructions didn't really help me out either. I was hoping someone would have photos or a video, so I can understand it better than I do (which is very little).
These intructions are pretty clear and simple bentsi, I couldn't find a video but there's a phone number at the top of the page, if you still can't figure it out give Cobra a call, they were helpful when I call them about a tach that I had a problem with.

http://www.fi2000r.com/files/pdf/51_92-1775.pdf

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys. I did actually get it done. I got a lil upset with myself that i couldn't do it before so I went down to my garage about two hours ago with my brother and decided I'd figure this thing out one way or another. I lifted the tank as much as I could with out disconnecting too many of the wires that were keeping it down. Got enough clearance to get my hand in there while shinning the light and I found those suckers. It was a bit of a pain to get them off cause of the lack of room in there but I managed and prevailed. :)

Should of video taped it for the other noobs of which I am but was too tired to bring the camera and all that jazz. Anyway, thanks again guys. I did however get the video of the pipes on my friends bike when we had just put them on and he turned her over for the first time with the new pipes. It really did sound like the balls finally dropped on the v star :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YklG86FQ8VI

Those pipes sound nice now, I did ride it for a lil bit without the module (not too much) and there was soo much back fire when you let off the throttle, but now with the module 99% of the back fire is gone. It still gets one out here and there but i'm hoping time will take care of that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I did actually get it done. I got a lil upset with myself that i couldn't do it before so I went down to my garage about two hours ago with my brother and decided I'd figure this thing out one way or another. I lifted the tank as much as I could with out disconnecting too many of the wires that were keeping it down. Got enough clearance to get my hand in there while shinning the light and I found those suckers. It was a bit of a pain to get them off cause of the lack of room in there but I managed and prevailed. :)

Should of video taped it for the other noobs of which I am but was too tired to bring the camera and all that jazz. Anyway, thanks again guys. I did however get the video of the pipes on my friends bike when we had just put them on and he turned her over for the first time with the new pipes. It really did sound like the balls finally dropped on the v star :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YklG86FQ8VI

Those pipes sound nice now, I did ride it for a lil bit without the module (not too much) and there was soo much back fire when you let off the throttle, but now with the module 99% of the back fire is gone. It still gets one out here and there but i'm hoping time will take care of that.
Sounds great bentsi, but I can't for the life of me figure out why you didn't remove the seat and the fuel tank of the bike, that would have given you all the access you needed to the fuel injector plugs and ease the installation of the Fi2000 module.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts