Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know i have had an intermittent charging problem on my 1100
classic. Took out the voltage regulator and rectifier and all the checks of the diodes checked out. The stater also checked out good with the resistance consistent across the three connections. The power seemed to have good readings up to the battery. (no loss indicating bad ground. Having said all of that i replaced the volt regulator/rectifier and she charges like a bull. After all of that i realized there are signs of over heating on the back of it. The worst part is i was done before i cracked my first beer.
Thanks for all the help / instructions and ideas everyone.
All that is left for father's day is smoking 3 racks of ribs

Attachments

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Glad you found the problem. Only 3 racks? I'm guessing everyone else is having something else? :grin:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably the diodes open up when hot. That is a failure mode.
When i would start it it would charge for 30 seconds then stop. Last time it didn't charge pulled it in the garage and then it started charging for a couple of minutes. I thought i would say that for some one else's benefit down the road.
I agree with the heat thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,496 Posts
Very good you got it fixed. Hopefully you use OEM regulator or Road Star one. The aftermarket ones do not have a good reputation. Heat can be an issue. Here's what some people have done for cooling.

I did something a little different. I took some duct tape, (the real stuff, looks like chome tape) and lined the inside of cover. My thought is that the reflection of tape would bounce heat back toward exhaust. Never had another issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts