Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
oh come on! you can hit at least 50mph in second gear on a Road Star.... . :^)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh, I know it'll hit 50+ in second gear if I wind it up. It's not my bike and the Tach is broken, so I don't know how many rpms this thing is running. It sounds awesome when I rev it up! It's a Canadian bike, so the odometer and speedometer both read in kilometers, not miles. 67,842 kilometers on it. Somewhere around 42,000 miles on it. Not much for a 20 year old bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
He
Oh, I know it'll hit 50+ in second gear if I wind it up. It's not my bike and the Tach is broken, so I don't know how many rpms this thing is running. It sounds awesome when I rev it up! It's a Canadian bike, so the odometer and speedometer both read in kilometers, not miles. 67,842 kilometers on it. Somewhere around 42,000 miles on it. Not much for a 20 year old bike.
[/QUOTE

Hey Guys, John got here a few days ago and today he tried to ride the bike. He couldn't get it to shift either, but said it's because the shift rod is pushing a lever into the exhaust pipe. Can someone tell me how much clearance there's supposed to be between the shift lever on the end of the rod and the exhaust pipe. I'm thinking I might be able to adjust the exhaust pipe some in order to gain clearance. Looks to me like 1/2" or so should do the trick. Thanks. It still starts with no problems and sounds great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So John is back in Florida for a few months and cranked up the bike today and took it for a ride. He says the shift arm is hitting the exhaust pipe. I'm curious as to if I can gain about 1/2" clearance by adjusting the exhaust somehow. I've no idea what the heck happened to it, but suspect something is loose from the ditching his wife did back in April. What do you guys think? Is there any way to adjust the exhaust where I can get that clearance? Should be because it shifted fine before Cathy took it into the ditch. I won't get a chance to look at it before next Saturday due to a previously planned week long event I have to attend to out of town. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
I would bend shifter are back to original shape, might have to heat to bend. Another possibility is to take shifter arm off, put in vise to reshape. Depending on what's bent, replace with new one.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
If the bike went over on its side it could also be the exhaust is bent into the shifter space

I would not try to bend it back into shape attached to the engine - I would be afraid of breaking the exhaust off the head connection

would be better to replace a bent exhaust - lots of stocks ones cheap from people that upgraded

linkage interference is SO much better than a screwed up transmission!

To answer your question, you need to straighten things out until nothing hits - that sound obvious when you say it out loud, whatever its hitting needs to be out of the way just enough to not touch.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
general rule: you can bend steel with no issues, heating it makes it easier

once alum is bent if you try to straighten it there is a good chance it is crystallized and will snap off
right when you bend it back
or soon after

I keep a magnetic screw retriever in my tool box, gets used to see if something is alum frequently

·
Registered
55 Posts
I presume that has aftermarket true dual exhaust then if the exhaust is by the shift linkage. I've only looked closely at one (Freedom Performance) set but would assume others are like it. They probably have a few pieces to them that are clamped. Not sure if you can loosen the clamps and possibly reposition the exhaust to gain clearance.

The other option may be to remove the linkage from the splined shaft and move it one tooth. But doing that will probalby require adjuting the length of the shift rod.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Okay, court is over forever. We lost because our attorney was incompetent and NOT prepared at all. Doesn't matter, no money for my wife. Anyway, I checked the exhaust position on Johns bike and sure enough, it was interfering with the shift lever. I grabbed it and yanked on it and moved it back damn near 1/2"!!! I had to find out why it had shifted and upon inspection, I found that both of the bolts on the lower brace were loose. John had taken it to a shop for inspection after Cathy crashed it, but either they forgot to tighten those or they came loose again. Anyway, I took her for a test ride and after airing the tires up to 35psi (Johns preferred pressure) I took it up to 150kmh and that was plenty fast enough for me. It up shifted and down shifted perfectly through all five gears on numerous occasions. Now, John is happy, I'm happy and we're going to start looking at his wife's custom Victory. I really want to ride that sucker. Thank you so much, for all of the helpful suggestions and a special thank you to KCW and Brad G for pointing me towards the exhaust. You guys ROCK!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
He's decided that now that I've got it driveable for him, he's going to get the dents fixed, repaint the woodpecker on the gas tank, get a new windshield and ride it. He SAYS I can ride his old ladys Victory, but it won't even start right now. I'm champing at the bit for him to let me look at it, but he's busy entertaining other Canadian friends that are just arriving in the hood. Bummer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
@Chuzz , good to hear it was a simple fix and you've gotten it squared away. Wish weather here in Iowa were more friendly for riding. Looks like the R* is going to be tucked away for a few months now. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's kind of a double edged sword here, Brad. We have great weather for riding year round, but during the winter we have a LOT more fatal accidents with bikers and snow birds. The older people swear they never saw the motorcycle most of the time, even though the federal law about always having your headlight on has been around for a while. I don't like it when the snowbirds are here because they don't really look for bikers. I don't consider myself a biker anymore, but I rode for years, so I know to look and not ride on the guys tail light if he's in front of me. At least we know you'll be safer for the winter!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts