Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again all.
OK, so I looked on the V-Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge base website and the only thing that it talks about is the shifter being had to get into gear.

Mine goes in gear fine, but sometimes the shifter stays "down" (refering to using the heel part of the shifter mechanism) so when I go to hit the next gear, it's still in the "shifted position" and there'll be not "click" of the gear change, or any gear change.
Usually when I attempt to make the gear change, it then comes back to the "rest" position, and a second heel compression will give me the a gear change.

So to sum up, once I shift, the gear change happens, but the shifter stays in the shifting position, and doesn't come back to the "rest" position until I use my heel to try and shift again.

Any ideas? I'm really getting frustrated trying to get some riding time in on this girl, but she seems to be fighting me all the way with one issue after another.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You've either got got an extremely dirty/gritty shift shaft or one of the springs is broken. You'll need to tear it apart to figure it out..... it could be the screw on the shift shaft gear as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
When's the last oil change? Also, did you read about the screw that can sometimes get in the way of the shifter? I don't remember where the screw is exactly, but read something about it a while back.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hello again all.
OK, so I looked on the V-Star 1100 Wiki Knowledge base website and the only thing that it talks about is the shifter being had to get into gear.

Mine goes in gear fine, but sometimes the shifter stays "down" (refering to using the heel part of the shifter mechanism) so when I go to hit the next gear, it's still in the "shifted position" and there'll be not "click" of the gear change, or any gear change.
Usually when I attempt to make the gear change, it then comes back to the "rest" position, and a second heel compression will give me the a gear change.

So to sum up, once I shift, the gear change happens, but the shifter stays in the shifting position, and doesn't come back to the "rest" position until I use my heel to try and shift again.

Any ideas? I'm really getting frustrated trying to get some riding time in on this girl, but she seems to be fighting me all the way with one issue after another.

:confused:
if the tang on the return spring broke off pull the case cover and retrieve it before it gets caught in the primary gear and causes a disaster

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm starting to believe there isn't anything wrong with the shifter. This is my first bike with a Heel/ Toe shifter. I've been watching it closely, as I realized after posting that I had never actually witnessed the shifter sticking, I was just assuming, since I would try to shift, and it would stay in the same gear.

After posting this, I decided to actually visually watch the shifter with each shift (as long as the situation was deemed safe to do so) and see if it's moving back to the rest position, or if it's sticking, as I believed.

I have yet to have it happen again. The shift lever springs back into the rest position after every shift.

I'm starting to wonder if it was all operator error. Maybe I was resting my heel somewhere that didn't allow the shifter to come back to the proper position after a shift, thus causing it to seem like it was sticking.

I'm going to continue to keep an eye on it, but it appears to be working perfectly.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm starting to believe there isn't anything wrong with the shifter. This is my first bike with a Heel/ Toe shifter. I've been watching it closely, as I realized after posting that I had never actually witnessed the shifter sticking, I was just assuming, since I would try to shift, and it would stay in the same gear.

After posting this, I decided to actually visually watch the shifter with each shift (as long as the situation was deemed safe to do so) and see if it's moving back to the rest position, or if it's sticking, as I believed.

I have yet to have it happen again. The shift lever springs back into the rest position after every shift.

I'm starting to wonder if it was all operator error. Maybe I was resting my heel somewhere that didn't allow the shifter to come back to the proper position after a shift, thus causing it to seem like it was sticking.

I'm going to continue to keep an eye on it, but it appears to be working perfectly.
the shifter will sometimes hang up when missing a shift, like if you wait to long to down shift and you have to rachet through all the gears when the bike is barely rolling to get back to 1st

1 - 6 of 6 Posts