Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2004 V Star Classic last week. It has 14,600 miles and appeared to be in good shape. Rode the bike around 150 miles and the shifter locked up. The problem started with difficulty shifting gears, before I knew it I couldn't shift at all. Oil Level was fine, I checked it the night before. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first reaction was to think about the clutch. Was is working fine or was is hard to press. I hope for you that this is something easy to fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the delay in response I'm not on the computer every day. The clutch seemed to be working fine. It was very easy to shift and take off from the line was easy....no drag or slipping.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check the clutch cable free play (should be less than the thickness of a nickle) and to see that the cable is moving the clutch connector. If not, fix the cluch lever/cable/linkage first.

With the clutch disengaged, is the shift lever moving and nothing happening in both up and down shifts? Is the shift lever stuck and not moving in either direction? Is the shift lever moving and nothing is happening in one direction and stuck in the other direction?

Stuck shift lever means you probably need to be moving the bike to get the rear wheel to turn the drive shaft to align the gears so that they can be changed. If you are pointed uphill in a higher gear, you are going to be locked up and stay that way as long as gravity is fighting you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to be able to answer your questions, however I got frustrated with it and took it to the shop. Should hear something today or tomorrow. The shifter would not move up or down, I tried rocking the bike with the clutch lever out, the clutch it self would engage and dis engage so that the bike could be moved, just could not move the shifter. Oh well .....Gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem Solved

Finally got the bike back....Yea.....The mechanic told me that the shifter mechanism had to be replaced. $70.00 in parts and $250.00 in labor. Runs great. Again sorry for the delay....business has been good, so not much time for the computer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts