Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Noticed this after coming home from a quick trip to the hardware store this afternoon (to buy a replacement bolt for the passenger seat because it rattled out this weekend). I washed the bike this afternoon, then decided to take it down the road to the store so it would get dried out in all the places I couldn't reach with a chamois.

When I pulled back in the driveway, I shifted into neutral with the bike at idle, as I usually do, and immediately noticed that the RPM dropped. Click back into 1st, and the RPMs came back up. Repeatable several times, and I even took a video to demonstrate. It's most noticeable the second time I do it - https://youtu.be/BftNUtduzmU

I'm assuming this has something to do with a short in or around the neutral safety circuit? Possibly caused by my earlier spit shine? I never noticed it before, but that doesn't mean it hasn't always done it. The bike was not 100% warmed up today (though the choke was all the way in) so it was a little ornery yet. That might've exaggerated the effect enough to make it more noticeable.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hi All,

Noticed this after coming home from a quick trip to the hardware store this afternoon (to buy a replacement bolt for the passenger seat because it rattled out this weekend). I washed the bike this afternoon, then decided to take it down the road to the store so it would get dried out in all the places I couldn't reach with a chamois.

When I pulled back in the driveway, I shifted into neutral with the bike at idle, as I usually do, and immediately noticed that the RPM dropped. Click back into 1st, and the RPMs came back up. Repeatable several times, and I even took a video to demonstrate. It's most noticeable the second time I do it - https://youtu.be/BftNUtduzmU

I'm assuming this has something to do with a short in or around the neutral safety circuit? Possibly caused by my earlier spit shine? I never noticed it before, but that doesn't mean it hasn't always done it. The bike was not 100% warmed up today (though the choke was all the way in) so it was a little ornery yet. That might've exaggerated the effect enough to make it more noticeable.
man that's weird usually the idle go's up in neutral because the engine doesn't have the drag of a clutch and transmission turning the neutral switch only cuts the ground to the main relay as does the emergency shut down and the clutch lever

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
man that's weird usually the idle go's up in neutral because the engine doesn't have the drag of a clutch and transmission turning
That's why I'm thinking it's possibly an electrical issue... like maybe I got some water into the neutral circuit somewhere and it's enough to put a load on the generator when the circuit is active, but not enough to stall the bike out completely. I won't be riding it again until Saturday, but I'll be sure to see if it continues then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts