Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got my eyes on a new rear. Looking at those. Tell me something about them. They sound good in most that I read(99%).

·
Registered
332 Posts
My experience with Shinkos is that they grip really well, but they wear down really fast. I only got about 4000 out of my last rear, and 6k out of my last Shinko front.

I've heard people say they've gotten as much as 7000-8000 out of a rear, but never any more than that. Considering it ends up costing me about $160 for a mounted rear Shinko, and $200 for a mounted rear Michelin Commander II that yields 15,000 miles, I'll never buy Shinko again.

Even if you mount the Shinkos yourself, you'll get double the mileage and comparable grip for $40 more with an alternative. Some people swear by them, but with tires being so critical to the safety of me and my wife, I'll pay a little more for the added peace of mind.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my current bias ply Excedra Max will be lucky if it makes it 12000kms(7500 miles). I can get the Commander II for $230. Or I can get the Shinko 777 for $143. I have heard nothing but good about the Commander II, and 80% good about the Shinko 777. I think I'm willing to try the Shinko. And when it comes time to put a front one on its $105 for the Shinko vs $149 for the Commander II.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yah canadian pricing is high. We have one shop in the area that is known for the best pricing on tires. I will be contacting them before pulling the pin on anything. As well as one local shop that I am friends with the owner and family that will be consulted also. The more a read tonight after posting my last comment, I think I will be going with the commanders. Thanks again for all your input guys. As always this place answers what people ask.

Cheers

·
Registered
380 Posts
Had them on my Volusia and loved them. Good bang for the buck! Very recently, I thought real hard about them for my 1300, especially since the Exedra Max and Comm II were all back-ordered around here. But then my dealer wrangled a set of the Max's and I had them installed last week. If the Max's don't last long, I may go back to the Shinkos for the $. Longevity seems to be the only knock on the Shinko's.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The Comm II rear is not an OEM fit for the 1300. Not an issue but I felt a tad uneasy squeezing a wider tire onto the rim, even if just mm. But if the Comm were available first, I prob would have pulled the trigger as the cost was same as the Bridgestones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts