Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been a member here but haven't posted in a while. I just wanted to give a quick report on a set of Shinko tires I bought a few thousand miles ago and thought I would share my experience thus far.

At about 6,000 miles, my stock Dunlop rear develped a bit of damage and it was time to replace it. Looking for the best bang for my buck, I came accross the Shinko SE890 touring tires. That particular set offered a matching front/rear that would fit my ride as a set. Doing my online research, I read that they were obviously "taller" than stock tires of the same size and when I got mine it did seem taller. However, I went slightly wider from a 170 to 180 which by the way fits perfectly in the rear fender. I've been thinking about lowering the rear an inch and if I do that, i'm confident there is more that enough room for the tire to fit. I guess I should mention I'm riding a 2012 Vstar 950.

A little over 4,000 miles later, I have been pleasantly surpised and impressed. The grip on the tires is excellent and inspire confidence. Even on wet roads. They are wearing far better than the Dunlops and they are far more affordable. There seems to be a LOT of life left which brings a big smile to my face. With the rear being a little wider and taller, I get a little more lean before my floorboards start scraping. I'm also happy about that too. As an added bonus they shipped from Amazon for free. If you were in the market for replacement tires and ride a lot, give these Shinko's a chance. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've rune maybe 8-10 sets of shinkos on various bikes. While they are not cutting edge technology, they are tried and true technology and a great tire for the money, I had these on high performance bikes up to nearly 200 mph and road races and drag raced. If they can handle those conditions (obviously a diff tire design-but my point is they make good stuff) they can handle a lazy slow cruiser like we have with little effort. And the shinkos always got some of the best wear.

I want to try a car tire next... Mwahahahahaha. I seem to drag my floorboard quite easily and have a huge chicken strip. So if she can't lean far, why not go darkside.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Im running the 230 tourmasters...About 3k and still a ton of tread left - they also handle better than my Exedras

1 - 6 of 6 Posts