Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been keeping my eye out for a road star warrior. Today I just happen to drive by and see a V-Star sitting out for sale. Its a 2001 V-star Classic. Has 2 new perillie tires on it, vansen hines pipe, 20,000 miles, for $1500. They guy told me the speedo was broken but the mileage works. What does it cost to fix the spedometer? I would probably plan to have it repainted also. Other than that it has a clear title and never been wrecked. I have road street bikes before but nothing like a v-star so I am a newbie. So if there is anything I need to look at in particula please fill me in. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hi, and welcome. 2001 is 10 years old now, and with 20,000 miles, $1500 seems a tad high. Especially if it needs a paint job and a speedometer.
I would offer him no more than $1000.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, and welcome. 2001 is 10 years old now, and with 20,000 miles, $1500 seems a tad high. Especially if it needs a paint job and a speedometer.
I would offer him no more than $1000.
Just my opinion.
the mileage does kinda scare me. I did a search on craiglist and 01's with anywhere from 11k-17k are priced from 2200-2900

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You're lookin for a Warrior and you're gonna lay your money down on a 650?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder about broken things and needing paint, just how well was the bike maintained, oil, filter, ect? Could have been abused, check close first. Ride safe.
There is moisture inside the speedo which tells me its been sitting outside. But then again its in the guys front yard with a chain on the wheel. So I know its been sitting out since he put it up for sale. He claims his wife is making him get rid of it cause he had a close call. And he has a 4yr old.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I just noticed from the pics that it doesn't have any mirrors either.
You might wanna keep shopping around.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sights high?

We might be setting our sights a little high for a $1500 bike. For that kind of money the bike might need some attention. It the guy is asking $1500 this time of year (Cold here.) he probably will take less. If it is what you are want and are willing to accept make an offer.

But know it is a low priced bike and a long, long way from a Warrier. Most of all be sure it is safe. Get those mirrors back on and be sure the brakes and suspension are good. If you live up North like me you have all winter to get it ready.

Dave

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I would guess there are darn few warriors out there that have not been modified to some extent so if a warrior is giving you the itch then look a little longer for one. If you drop this kind of coin down on the 650 then more coin with mods then you might be right there already with a used warrior. I had a 02' warrior, I loved it while it was stock and I loved it every spring thereafter because of the winter mod season. I never got tired of it but traded it in for a stratoliner because it's now me and the wife on the back much more so than before. Before it was me and a bunch of other very fast warriors enjoying the New England country roads a few times every summer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
For 1500 I wouldn't expect it to be perfect. I also can't see kicking someone when their down. I'd take a ride on it and if it seems OK I'd pay the price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts