Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the brutal winter here in MD, I didn't had a chance to ride the bike for the last 6months and hence the bike didnt' started. I had to recharge my battery and everything was fine. Then again we got spring snow and again there was a hiatus in riding, Again my bike didn't started and I had to recharge (trickle recharger) overnight after that the bike started and I rided for 20 miles.

Do I have to replace my battery?
Please advice
V-Star 950 (2010)

Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
It may be to that point. Have you had it tested? Why aren't you keeping it on a trickle charge when its not being used anyways?

Rule of my bikes they go one week the chargers get put on. Even with brand new batteries I still pu them on a trickle charger IE a smart charger so they don't over do it and go soon to. Also, when you do get a new battery charge it on a battery tender over night before installing it. This will give it a full charge the first time you use it so it will stay longer as well.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Get a cheap volt meter and check it. The battery should be close to 14 volts sitting there and while running it should be around 13.8ish if all is well. Ever since I put my fairing on (it has a radio and amp in it) it started draining the battery even after a couple days. I bought a battery tender and all has been good. If you get a tender get one that has a "float mode" that way it wont over charge the battery. Mine is a Japanese something or other (Yusha or Yushi something), paid 26 bucks off ebay.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If it was me I would just replace it. Normally I would not let a battery go for more then 5 years and just replaced mine on my 08, even though it was perfectly fine.
Batteries so cheap, no sense taking a chance, more so if you ever had trouble.
For me, my battery was working perfect but I know I will have a different bike in five years (or 5 months,HA!) so I replaced it late 2013, might as well continue to make sure I dont get stuck anywhere for the next five years.
$85, free ship on ebay for the Yusha OEM in great insurance. Great battery by the way. I never trickle charge my battery or do anything to them. Also make sure your terminols are clean, even if they look clean, clean them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, yesterday was the litmus test, had stopped at a gas station for some gas and the bike wont start!!! DAMN!!! My wife had to run down with the jumper cables to jumpstart and I had to take her shouting!!!
Came home and ordered one from Amazon for $44 free shipping!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts