Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed the Big Bike Parts Show Chrome Accessories tapered seat bolt.

You still have to be careful and make sure the threads are aligned or you can cross thread the bolt when installing it.

I recommend using a 6mm ball head Allen wrench to run the bolt in so that you don't cross thread it then finish tightening the bolt with a ratchet. The bolts only have to be snugged you don't have to crank down on them.

The stock seat bolt is shorter and has a 5mm Allen head, the new bolts are a 6mm Allen head.

Here is a short video showing the stock seat bolt next to the Show Chrome seat bolt.

https://youtu.be/gCZ9BttAjlc

·
Registered
809 Posts

You still have to be careful and make sure the threads are aligned or you can cross thread the bolt when installing it.

I recommend using a 6mm ball head Allen wrench to run the bolt in so that you don't cross thread it then finish tightening the bolt with a ratchet. The bolts only have to be snugged you don't have to crank down on them.

The stock seat bolt is shorter and has a 5mm Allen head, the new bolts are a 6mm Allen head.

Here is a short video showing the stock seat bolt next to the Show Chrome seat bolt.

I have them as well. Very strong and well crafted. I also picked up the aft tank bib from them as well..and have found nothing I have ordered to be misrepresented in pictures or descriptions. The tank bib is well crafted.

·
Registered
104 Posts
--

What bugs me though is getting back into where the head of the bolt comes out. My fat fingers don't do that so well. So I replaced the bolt with a stainless bolt that was longer, put a wing nut half way up the threads and a lock nut to keep that in place. I can usually just reach in and twist the wing nut to remove the bolt without using a tool. I only use one on the right side as I can get to that one without any tools to remove the left side panel. One seems to hold just fine.

--

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

I’ve considered getting those, but not sure if it really makes that much difference. I’ve only ever had to use a T-handle Allen wrench in my bolts. They’re plenty tight enough just snugging them that way.
I’ve found it takes more force to pop them loose than is used to snug them up. That little fact has made me consider using some anti-seize on them, but I don’t want them to come loose easily.

·
Registered
67 Posts

And add a 6mm Allen wrench to your tool kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts