Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything you did that saved you money to make your bike perform better, look better, function better in a way that you needed. I will be working on a set of crash bars right away. But I want to see anything else.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm on a diet. Does that count?

I ordered a vent for my windshield. I'm a little nervous about damaging the windshield but it's a mod I want to try. I'm behind the curve when it comes to artistry but I think this one is worth attempting.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Radiator protector to keep the road junk from the front tire from damaging the radiator fins. You can see how well it is working:

Brake pedal extension to move the pedal out of the middle of the floorboard and allow me to utilize the entire floorboard....good form longer trips and easier to reach the pedal without lifting my leg:

Cut off the heel shifter and straightened out the remaining shifter arm, again, to get it away from the floorboard. You can also see the 4" extensions for the floorboards in this picture:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm working on a "Tool tube" made from thick walled PVC with a screw off cap on one end to hold my expanded tool kit. It will be painted black to match my bike and I'm planning on attaching it under my luggage rack. It's 3" inner diameter and will hold a nice amount of spare tools for any roadside breakdowns. I'll post pics after I get it finished.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got this from a guy who I think pulled this from the delphi forums and has been running this set up for a while without any issues so I thought I'd give it a shot while I had the carbs out anyway. The purpose of this 'mod' is to get a more snappier response at the throttle and I can certainly tell the difference after having done it. Basically, you open up the two holes in the picture a little wider with a 9/16th bit and cut that spring to a length of 4 inches. lol, I'll admit it was scary as hell doing it...try it at your own risk!!

haha, and this is my crap solo seat bracket that I threw together. No way in heck I was shelling out $500 bucks for a kit! It ain't pretty...but it does the job.

hahaha, and you guys may get a kick out of this one. My absolute crap rear fender...held on by zip ties and rivets haha. (I've since ripped it off and am running it fenderless lol)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Side mount license plate bracket.
Total cost: $0.00!
It's made from some scrap angle iron and an old trailer light. The light came off a 1950 Chevy truck project and was bound for the trash can prior to my decision to restore it for this. The angle iron, paint, and bolts were all just stuff laying around my garage.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Cool everyone. I Love this stuff. Ken, you have done some cool stuff my friend. Love it!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Lol thanks. I'm a big fan of clean stuff cheap mods and such. I also have so,e super bright led lights mounted as highway lights that do a pretty good job. Another forum member showed them to me and I picked them up and made some mounts for them. Once I get the bike cleaned up from sitting in the garage all winter ill post some pix.

Edit: Found them..

ALSO did the speedo lights for a couple bucks:
Before:

After:

SO much easier to see at night!!

Another cheap mod thats well worth the time and money.. Dynabeads!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wired a 12 volt adaptor to my 650 on the left side of the front post. Nice, out of the way, and great when you need power for something like a GPS (for the long and unknown trips), or your cell phone. I can walk anyone through how to do it if they like. Everyone that has seen it has remarked that it looks like it is stock because I ran the wires in black wire conduit.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Ken, what did you have to do to get that look on the speedo? Was it simply changing the bulbs?

Ride or Die!
yup.. You just need a couple T5 bulbs and it takes about 15 minutes.
http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17257&highlight=speedo+lights

The fun part is you can make them almost any color you want

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Xenon-White-3-SMD-1210-37-73-74-T5-T4-LED-Bulbs-For-Car-Gauge-Cluster-Lights-/121252593980?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3b37c13c&vxp=mtr

I added one to the turn signal indicator too because I could never see it during the day!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ken,
Can you tell us what you used for the speedometer light upgrade? Mine burned out and I would love to replace it with something brighter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ken; two items I'd like to ask about. My wife wants me to get floorboards (passenger). Can we see some more photos of yours and your mod. Also, what did you use to clean the wheels. I've tried everything to clean mine but to no avail.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts