Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I think I have the bike the way I want it.

Ive run it 200 miles with seafoam in the fuel. After about 70 mile something must have opened up on one of the carbs, because the stumbling / struggling in 5th gear at 55mph went away in a manner of seconds.

Getting 51mpg on secondary roads. With the 4.8 gallon tank this gives me the same range as my VS650 - about 200 miles to reserve, and 240 miles to hitching a ride.

Im going to check with the previous owner about the last oil change. The filter looks new, I would hate to drain out 4 qt of good oil and toss a new filter. Everything else I have checked is good.

Will get a new front tire, air and fuel filters, and I think Im good for the next 8k miles service interval.

Very happy with this machine. I have always been fond of vintage goldwings, took one for a test ride two years ago. This bike is very similar: 4 cylinder, water cooled, pretty quiet... and I like the V4 cruiser layout more than the boxer ~UJM format of the GW.

Will go back an play with the windshield when I get around to it. Looking forward to the next 80,000 miles on this bike.

If you never hear from me again, you know where I will be: Riding this motorcycle, somewhere on Earth.

PS: forgot to mention, after 3 hours riding this morning had no issues with the seat at all.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,052 Posts
I really like the new look, very clean lines. Good find.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I heard back from from previous owner - he changed the oil and filter 2000 miles ago, but that was 8 years ago.

The owners manual says the engine holds 4.6 quarts and when you change the oil and filter only 4 quarts comes out. About half a quart is trapped in the engine spaces (unless you have torn the engine down).

So... half a quart out of 4.6 is 13% of the old oil left behind.

I plan on draining the oil, putting 4 quarts of inexpensive 20W40 in the bike for a few hundred miles, then replace the oil and filter with a synthetic oil.

That will leave only 1% of the old oil in the engine after the second oil change.

It would keep me awake at night if I put $25 worth the synthetic oil in the bike, knowing that 13% of what was left in the engine is still 8 years old.'

EDIT: I drained the old oil out and it actually looks pretty good. I dont see any indication that its degraded in any way. It looks better than the oil from my 650. I guess thats one of the benefits of a water cooled engine, the oil doesnt get scorched like it does with an air cooled motor. Now I dont think I need to do a short duration flush to clean out the engine.

When I picked up a gallon of oil at Walmart I discovered they carry only TWO Fram oil filters for motorcycles, and one them is the correct filter for the Royal Star. If I could get Dunlop Elite 3 tires at Walmart that would make this THE perfect cruiser/touring motorcycle. The flip side is: with an 8000 mile recommended oil change interval, I could ride pretty much anywhere in the USA and back, without needing an oil change.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Got everything done that it needed: new Bridgestone Exedra Max Cruiser and Touring tire on the front wheel, oil & filter, spark plugs, air filter (what a pain to change!), and a whole 16oz can of SeaFoam has gone thru the gas tank 5oz at a time.

Bike runs so much better now. The engine spools up in the lower gears very smooth and quick. I think I have to respect the high ratio overdrive in 5th, because even at 55mph if you get on the throttle in 5th gear it feels like the engine is lugging - and it will go 90mph in 4th gear - I need to get that overdrive word embedded in my mind. For all the people who wish their bike had a 6th gear - this is the bike you want.

Photo is at the Canandaguia Lake overlook on CR12 just north of Naples NY.

Getting the bike inspected today after work then next required maintenance is 8000 miles away.

I have to say the design of this bike is perfect, in the sense that I cant think of anything that Yamaha should have changed on it. Feel the same way about my VS650.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Very nice. I flushed the front and rear brakes on mine last week, and tried to do the clutch too, but the original owner put some after market trim package on the bike. You can see the triangle shaped covers over the brake calipers in the photo at the top of the page.

I could just barely see the bleeder valve for the clutch. I would need to get an 8mm crow's foot, or bend an open end wrench in a vise 90 degrees to fish it onto the bleeder, because there is one of those trim things nearly covering it. Im looking at it and looking at it, and notice there are two very small holes drilled into the top edge of the trim plate... Tiny little set screws! The plate comes right off and then bleeding the clutch was easy. I dont think it had ever been flushed in the last 18 years, the fluid in the reservoir was dark brown.

According to the title that came with the bike, the previous owner only rode the bike 2000 miles since he got it ten years ago. I have almost clocked 1000 miles in the last 3 weeks.

Cant say it enough, I just love my Royal Star.

This evening over dinner my wife and son were both telling me they think there is something wrong with the bike. "It smells like an old car when you start it up in the driveway, and it sounds terrible, like an old VW with a bad muffler".

I tried to explain that: it has carbs, I have to choke it to get it started when its cold out, and it idles a bit rough till I get a few miles down the road, it has quad mufflers and its not suppose to sound like a honda civic, its suppose to sound like a cruiser bike.

What I did not tell them, when I get on the main road and hit the throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear, it sounds like a small block chevy V8 running WFO, and it hits 70mph in 3rd gear in about 5 seconds. Its running awesome!

I think I have an appropriate name for the bike. When I first saw it at the previous owners house, he said "here she is - its a bear!"

Ursa is latin for a "she-bear", like the big dipper constellation Ursa Major.

I think I like that: Ursa

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I thought about this for the last week, not being able to ride because of the cold front and rain creates a situation where all I can to is think about my MC...

The aftermarket trim package has to go!

I dont know if the original owner bought all this stuff as a trim kit, or got every chrome thing that yamaha had available when the bike was new

but

there are added on covers over the two chrome domes on the right side of the engine (the clutch cover and drive shaft cover), over the carbs, over the carb drain tube, over the engine mount bolts, over the calipers, over the access to the clutch bleeder valve on the left side, over the top of the brake and clutch reservoirs, a cover over the tail light (for heavens sake!!!), eyelids on the headlight and turn signals, bullet covers over the rear drive oil fill bolts...

I think if I take them all off it has to be at least 20 lbs of stuff stuck on the bike.

One of the things I like about motorcycles from an engineering aspect is they are simple machines - as simple as can be.

All this stuff is nothing but pieces of metal screwed or doublestickytape stuck on the bike.

I cant see any of it while Im riding, and when Im not riding I dont sit there and stare at my bike.

I think the thing that pushed me over the edge, I posted a Craigslist link to a guy selling a 1996 royal star for a really good price (he is moving and has to sell it). Its a really great looking bike, without all the stuff that has been tacked onto mine.

The original owner must have spent at least $500 for all this stuff - easily more. I would never do that.

The superfluous junk just has to go.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
On Memorial day I rode Ursa to Orchard Park to visit my aunt in a nursing home. It was was 200 mile round trip on deserted secondary roads (20 and 20A - great ride). I managed to miss 2 of the three local parades along the way...

and it was my final inspiration to put the drivers backrest on the bike one way or another...

I had one I bought for my 650, the mounting bracket was wrong, so with a 5 lb sledge hammer, anvil made from a railroad rail, hack saw and 4 1/2" angle grinder with cut-off disk I managed to get it attached to the 2 ~3/8" bolts between the frame and the fender under the seat.

Have not taken it for a ride yet, rain set in late last night and its drizzling now, but just sitting on the bike in the driveway I think I need to add about 1" of closed cell foam padding to get the support / push-back right where I want it.

Interestingly, a drivers backrest in that position would prevent me from taking the seat off, it would overlap the back of the seat, and the mounting bolts are under the seat. With an extra inch of padding it will be in the right place, and I would have to take the pad off the back rest to get the seat off....

Will post photos after I take it for a ride later this morning, but it looks like I will have to get a more expensive back rest that is adjustable, to be able to adjust it out of the way to get under the seat as needed, instead of unscrewing the pad from the bracket everytime.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts

Got a chance to take a 30 mile ride - the back rest is just barely there against the back of my jacket, and it makes a big difference in the feeling of security on the bike. I was riding at 65mph and completely relaxed. Dont feel like Im holding on with my feet and legs to keep from sliding off the rear fender.

This was the last thing I needed to turn Ursa into a 400 mile / day cruising machine.

It was still drizzling this morning so I had some time to take off more of the "flair" (Kwrap) the original owner had put on the bike. I took the caliper tin box covers off the 3 calipers and realized there was a cover under that, held on the face with double sided sticky foam tape. The peanut shape inner cover was missing from the rear brake. I can only assume it cooked itself and fell off - that must have been an exciting few minutes when that fell into the spinning back wheel!

Ive said before, purely from an engineering design perspective you dont put stuff on a machine that has no functional purpose, just to make it look better. Electrical engineers never put extra resistors on a board, to make an interesting pattern, or to spell out words, or to draw extra power to make your electric bill go up.

Not only did this bling kwrap have no purpose, the covers on the calipers were acting like insulation and prevented them from cooling in the wind blast. The tin can covers over those covers prevented me from seeing the calipers and hose ends, from seeing any leaks, from washing off the brake dust or salt spray.

The saucer cover over the clutch plate had corroded two spots where either some salt water got in there, or the two different metals were touching, and it ate away part of the real clutch cover (chrome and alum under the surface). I had to fill it with epoxy and paint over that with enamel to keep it from corroding away any further.

The bullet covers over the axle nuts and engine bolts created more work every time I need to pull the wheel off, or check the torque on the bolts every few months. One of the axle nut covers was wrenched on so tight I could not get the 2mm allen screw out to remove it. After 10 minutes I put a pair of channel locks on it and ripped it off the bike.

I get it if someone wants to make their motorcycle look different, and if they want to load it all up with chrome and lights and show the bike off at cruise night.

But I want to ride it, I dont care what it looks like, I like it the way the engineers at Yamaha made it: Stock! :^)

^Pile of Kwrap removed from my Royal Star^

there are still a few things left to remove, one of those V shape covers on the left side between the cylinders,

there are covers over the sides of the carbs, will get them next time I have the tank off

and there is still a giant eyelid thing on the headlight - it doenst just pop off like the ones over the turn signals, will get it out some other rainy day. I think its causing a bit of head buffeting even with the windshield off, because its throwing up chaotic air off the headlight, instead of a nice smooth laminar airstream off the face of the lamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
very nice

you got the beast with the bigger carbs (than my base model "boulevard")

mine is about 74HP and its a screamer

yours is about 95HP

·
Registered
11 Posts
very nice

you got the beast with the bigger carbs (than my base model "boulevard")
Yeah, it has a lot more "get up and go" than I expected with all that weight, even two-up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats man! Sheesh, that bike's motor is quite a departure from the 650.
I also have a V-Star to go along with the Venture when the girlfriend gets her license - an '04 Classic 650. Seems like a natural upgrade path from the V-Star to the Royal Star or similar.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
from the side the 650 and RS look like they have the same engine

they both have the same size 325 cc cylinders

but you walk around the other side of the Royal Star and HEY! there's two more over here, and another set of exhaust!

·
Registered
8 Posts
1998 RS XVZ1300A currently has 53k on the clock. Had this bike for almost 3 years now. Bought it from a guy who kept it in a barn deep in a Kentucky holler (straight out of deliverance) bike had no clutch or brake fluid, rear seat, or rear brake pads when I bought it. Also Needed new fork seals and clutch slave cylinder. Spent a couple weeks doing some deep cleaning, upgrading, and much needed maintenance. First pic is right after initial “deep clean”

MODS
converted all lighting to LED
Aftermarket integrated “afterburner” taillight
Custom mounted Aftermarket led rear turn signals (for more visibility)
Front led passing lamps
Led headlight
Yamaha “Silverado” windshield and lowers
Arlen Ness chrome grips
Stock Yamaha tank bib
Front and rear Mustang seats (from 02 road star)
Soon to have Harley hard saddle bags, trunk, and Yamaha passenger floorboards

41 - 58 of 58 Posts