2041 - 2060 of 2085 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,680 Posts
Very nice transition. You do NICE work!!!! 🙌👏

·
Registered
36 Posts
Took some initial pictures after the resto light, will have my son take some better ones during the weekend as I have no talent for taking good pics.

Nice work Faffi! May I ask, what tires are those?

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
590 Posts
Thank you, Lou 😊

The rear is a Pirelli MT66 170/80-15, the front is actually a rear tire as well, a Pirelli City Demon 130/90-16, chosen for price and that it is a TT tire. Do not know how they will work yet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
For those who wanted to see before and after pictures, here are some. My apologies to those who have no interest.

'
I know the upper bolt looks rusty, but it is just a reflection and the head is not black and a bit old, a correctly fitting bolt I had laying around since the bolt for the crash bar was all wrong. Head is also same dimension as the one below, despite looking larger.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You'll have to pm me details/process you used as I have some pitting on mine. 😉

·
8,680 Posts
Thanks, @faffi, that's exactly what I was hoping you would do. Again. Fantastic job. Have you tried Blue Job on the top portion of you exhaust? I've used it before with pretty good results.

@LouA, here's a thread where I did my front forks. A little different approach from @faffi , but same results.

Reactions: Boog and faffi

·
Registered
590 Posts
No, never tried a blue job - thanks for the tip, not heard of the product before (y) Wonder if it turned blue because the shop doing the carbs for the PO had forgotten to tighten down the clamp for the inlet hose/tube on the carb?

·
8,680 Posts
Looks like the bike ran lean for a while and heated the pipes up.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
385 Posts
Great job on the restoration @faffi - the bike looks great! I might need to do something similar to my forks - I have some oxidization or something going on under the clear coat...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Looks like the bike ran lean for a while and heated the pipes up.
Agree, hence the question regarding the air leak. But persoally I would expect such a minor leak to be too little to blue pipes. The owner said he had a shop clean the carbs after the bike ran poorly one Spring after winter storage, and I suspect that is when it ran sufficiently lean.

Great job on the restoration @faffi - the bike looks great! I might need to do something similar to my forks - I have some oxidization or something going on under the clear coat...
Thank you 😊

Looks like you have a Custom? I think painted lower legs will look better on that than on my Classic due to its polished covers. But at least the legs match the caliper and brake disc center now 😄

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,117 Posts
Nice bike, but really nice photographs!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reactions: bpounds

·
Registered