Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 2144 Posts

·
Registered
2008 v star 1300 & 2008 v star 250
323 Posts
That looks really good! Since you're choppin' 'n' bobin', consider deleting the AIS ???

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,530 Posts
yes but i’ve heard it’s a time consumer. so i’m just planing. i have tomorrow off. i’ll probably look at it and jump on it.
Simple to remove AIS, follow link for step by step, start new thread if you have issues.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
yes but i’ve heard it’s a time consumer. so i’m just planing. i have tomorrow off. i’ll probably look at it and jump on it.
Takes maybe an hour if that..........just did my custom I have and the hardest part is getting the plugs out......had to make a simple slide hammer with a vice grip on the end........worked pretty good.

Like the bobber but you need a little gloss black on it.... ;)

·
Registered
1999 Yamaha Vstar 650 Custom
73 Posts
yes honestly i just did flat black and it came out more grey than anything i might do a glossy black. not to sure yet

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
291 Posts
SPECTRA: What was the last year they had points on the XS650's ?? I had one in Colorado.
Member here BOOG has one as a rebuild project.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
SPECTRA: What was the last year they had points on the XS650's ?? I had one in Colorado.
Not sure to be honest but did have a 78 XS400 that had points. I know the 80 I had was a TCI ignition. So I would think 78-79 maybe....

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
291 Posts
Sounds right, I had a 1979 XS650 and it had points. Not sure, but I think it had dual points.

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha XVS1100a Classic
81 Posts
Sorry, just can't help posting pics... :eek::rolleyes::p

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,530 Posts
Keep posting. I enjoy them.

·
Registered
2005 XVS650 Silverado
16 Posts
After I did my pod mod one of my mods was to buy and install a Bendex air filter (see photos). The filter has a flat metal plate that the filter sits on and the plate is easy to line up with the stock mounting holes for the 'dog dish' and just involves drilling a few faster holds and bolting it on. To 'jazz it up' I used my tank VStar decoration, cut off the STAR part of the decal, JB welded a bolt to the back side and just bolted it on the center by punching the bolt through the filter.

You can buy this here: V-Twin - Turbo Air Cleaner - Fits Bendix, Keihin carb

View attachment 99784

Filter without the decoration:
View attachment 99785
That looks REAL nice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Winter? What is winter?
Ok it was 5°C, but I did have my winter gloves on for a change... :cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,314 Posts
My '81 project "Rusty" does not have points. I think '79 was the last year but I would not bet a Dr. pepper on it.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
291 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

That was the ONLY modification I considered for my 49 and 50 Pontiac cars. They sold a drop in replacement for an "electronic ignition". Just a magnetic sensor and new center nut with magnetic poles on each corner of the nut.

You had to air gap it, then plug it Into the existing wires for the points. Done.
I loved J. C. Whitney back then!!

2121 - 2140 of 2144 Posts