Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 2206 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
that small road you speak of used to be US-90.
There is part of the OST near me, also near one of the local parks - Civil War battlefield park - that is in the woods. There is an historical marker on the roadside. That area is on the Sabine river, at one time there was a ferry there to cross the river. Highway 90 is a few miles south of there and the Interstate 10 was built on part of the old highway. Highway 90 used to go south from where the I-10 bridge is built to an old wooden bridge that burned down sometime in '50s or '40s. The old posts are still in the swamp and we used to kayak around it.

Reactions: Joe7299 and Walls

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado
64 Posts
That's a neat map. Looking at it, it would appear that my thinking was correct. It goes from the east coast to the west coast. According to that map, in the east it is US-90 and in the west it is US-80. My little town in FL is also listed on there. Take a peak at AZ, the town of Vail, which @Walls said he was riding to, is also listed.

Over time, we have built new roads. I've noticed some places they'll move the route marking to follow the new construction while still leaving the old road. I saw some of that in OK with route US-66. I'll guess, that at one time that small road you speak of used to be US-90.
CantRider and Louisiana Jeff, that is an awesome find and a great map. Seems like that would be a great cross country trip on a bike.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
CantRider and Louisiana Jeff, that is an awesome find and a great map. Seems like that would be a great cross country trip on a bike.
it's made up of many different roads, some highways & some local streets. Not all of them are connected and some aren't named "Old Spanish Trail" on the maps. It would be harder to do than following the old Rt 66. Neat map and a little history but I don't think it's actually ridable.

Reactions: Walls

·
Registered
2000 V-Star 650 Classic - Shaft driven
8 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
We have an Old Spanish Trail here in southwest Louisiana too. No route number but it's just a half mile or so north of our state highway US90. The Spaniards got around back in the day!

View attachment 104220

I'm actually surprised my little town is listed on this map, the western side of Louisiana - Vinton.
The town I grew up in is also listed on that map, @Jspree used to live there as well and they still have the best fudge fancies in the world! Go Milton!

That would be a pretty cool ride and it would be interesting to see how much of it could be ridden still. I know the old Hwy 90 through the Milton area runs along the “new” Hwy 90 in many areas, especially out in the country where it’s a historical marker now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2000 Yamaha XVS1100a Classic
212 Posts
Finally feels like winter might be reaching it's end, still a little chilly despite the sunshine though. Anyway, bike runs great despite all my fiddling with the carbs over winter... so happy days!

·
Registered
88 Posts
So I've 'updated' my bike. If you all remember (and I wouldn't expect you to) I took off the bags, the sissy bar, the rear seat and lowered it. I decided to add the bags back because I travel to work on an interstate and I need to bring my food and laptop but don't like the backpack option. I also added a taller windshield. As now now I've added my sissy bar back but flipped it backwards. I will be looking to buys some bolt collars soon to completely take off the sissy bar 'mount' for a completely flat rear end. Thanks for the ideas and help all!

The bottom right pic is what it looks like without the sissy bar, but the mount remains. I have ordered 10" mini-apes to replace the beach bars. IMHO they don't look right with the windshield. I've also ordered and hope to install a Vance & Hines slip on tomorrow. I also plan to send the ECU off to Ivan's (different thread). Looking at his posted dyno numbers, my bike could gain up to 27% horsepower and 17% torque. Thanks monstrous.

God Bless!

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado
64 Posts
I really like the front rim. That is a nice look. I had considered removing my bags but I also take coffee, lunch and dress shoes for work. Good looking bike.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
What she looks like today.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I took her for a blast around the back roads today and I have to say I'm still amazed how quickly she gets up and goes since I installed the pod kit... 0-100km/h is there awfully fast. I really have to get around to doing a timed run one day. 😃

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
This is what she looks like with the panniers attached. I normally only have them on when going camping or to rallies, etc. but wanted to get a few pics with them on.

2181 - 2200 of 2206 Posts