Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
2321 - 2340 of 2349 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Yamaha 650 V Star Classic Cruiser.
109 Posts
This is the way that I have to change gears on my V Star 650 Classic. I can only press down with my foot and I can not pull the gear shifter up. I designed this set up where I push down on the now clutch lever that used to change the gears and I change gears with my left hand. I have had it on for quiet a while and I am used to it now. In this design I can still use the hand clutch for doing slow speed turns and pulling up at the traffic lights. It all works very well and no need for a scooter yet.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Blue

·
Registered
2012 xvs650a classic
136 Posts
This is the way that I have to change gears on my V Star 650 Classic. I can only press down with my foot and I can not pull the gear shifter up. I designed this set up where I push down on the now clutch lever that used to change the gears and I change gears with my left hand. I have had it on for quiet a while and I am used to it now. In this design I can still use the hand clutch for doing slow speed turns and pulling up at the traffic lights. It all works very well and no need for a scooter yet. View attachment 115710
That's an amazingly neat job you've done there.

·
Registered
2007 Vstar XVS650 Custom Midnight, 2009 Road Star XV1700
34 Posts
Bob, would a heel/toe shifter be easier or can you push down with your heel? I just had surgery on my left knee and don't expect complications. I am trying to keep my Achilles tendon stretched and though I am limited, I am trying to make sure I have some range of motion in my foot. I had been thinking of a hand shifter, but that was a worse case situation.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Surprised no one has done it yet so i will. Show off your bike here. Here is my 06 V-star 1100 classic.

Bob, would a heel/toe shifter be easier or can you push down with your heel? I just had surgery on my left knee and don't expect complications. I am trying to keep my Achilles tendon stretched and though I am limited, I am trying to make sure I have some range of motion in my foot. I had been thinking of a hand shifter, but that was a worse case situation.
Hi Rider on the storm. I went with heel toe shifter for a couple of years but eventually I had to find another way to change gears. I tried a Pingel for a few days but it was very hard on the V Star gearbox. The V Stars have fairly wide gear ratios and the Pingel slamed the gears in and out too fast for the gear dogs to line up properly. A Pingel on a close ratio sport bike would have been ok. I have put some pictures up showing you how easy it was to fabricate the foot gear shifter, into, a clutch foot pedal on my V Star. I will put a couple up of the Pingel as well. I have done a lot of restorations over the many long years of riding and working on motorcycles and given a bit of time I can fabricate anything to work on a motorcycle and still look reasonable. The bit of chroming that I had to do I learned off some YouTube videos. The gear shift lever I bought off eBay and fabricated to go on the gear shifter shaft. With a foot clutch and a hand gear lever it is like driving a car, left foot clutch and left hand gear change. It is much SAFER to do this conversion as I have done it by having the hand clutch as well as the foot clutch. A lot of people take the hand clutch lever off and only use the foot clutch which is much easier to do but trying to slip the clutch in slow speed turns in low gear just with the left bad foot is impossible, you have to use the hand clutch then.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 XT600Z Tenere and 2009 F800ST
1,805 Posts
Impressive work!

Having hands heavily affected by arthritis, it is only a matter of time before pulling the clutch will become too painful. My plan is then to get a bike with DTC.

·
Registered
2012 xvs650a classic
136 Posts
I'm lucky, my ankle is coping better and better , the shifting was awkward and painfull to start with but seems it's actually being good therapy as my ankle is getting more and more flexible. still aches but not what i'd call pain .

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Impressive work!

Having hands heavily affected by arthritis, it is only a matter of time before pulling the clutch will become too painful. My plan is then to get a bike with DTC.
Hi faffi. I have been looking at DCT motorcycles as well. If Honda made one that was like a V Star I would buy one tomorrow but they are not like a cruiser at least not the ones that I have looked at so far. I really like the styling of my V Star and so I am sticking with it for as long as I can. I will be 70 years old soon and the surgeon wants me to have all the bones in my left foot fused together and then I will have the effect of having a hocky stick as a foot. I may have to quit riding after that so I am holding off for as long as I can. I think I will just get one more summer of riding in before having the operation. Celebrex and Ostio Panadol are my friends. I must agree with your plan that getting a motorcycle with DCT would be the way for you to go with your bad hands. Getting old is such a bugger.

I'm lucky, my ankle is coping better and better , the shifting was awkward and painfull to start with but seems it's actually being good therapy as my ankle is getting more and more flexible. still aches but not what i'd call pain .
Hi dustydirtroads. I hope that your painful joints go on to get better and better.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hi faffi. I have been looking at DTC motorcycles as well. If Honda made one that was like a V Star I would buy one tomorrow but they are not like a cruiser at least not the ones that I have looked at so far. I really like the styling of my V Star and so I am sticking with it for as long as I can. I will be 70 years old soon and the surgeon wants me to have all the bones in my left foot fused together and then I will have the effect of having a hocky stick as a foot. I may have to quit riding after that so I am holding off for as long as I can. I think I will just get one more summer of riding in before having the operation. Celebrex and Ostio Panadol are my friends. I must agree with your plan that getting a motorcycle with DTC would be the way for you to go with your bad hands. Getting old is such a bugger.
The 1100 Rebel is out with DCT.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
You could put a rev limiter on it, or a throttle grip limiter that prevents you from using more than 1/3 throttle, to reduce available speed potential. Or buy a CTX700 DCT, perhaps?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The rev limiter already exists. You might have to learn that it's ok not to be the first one off of the light (waiting to get pummeled from those who know me lol). It takes practice but it is possible. I am guilty of enjoying my Road Star but I am still in learning to practice easy does it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Time to get an electric bike. No clutch. No gears. All you really need to ride one is your right hand.

(edit) Plus, power is programmable. You wanna go fast and do wheelies, dial it up. You want a calm ride with no accidental spikes in power, put it in ECO mode. Most electric motorcycles also have the ability to dial in the settings you want in a custom mode so you can really make it perform how you want.

Just a friendly suggestion to consider for anyone that is finding shifting a difficult task.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Time to get an electric bike. No clutch. No gears. All you really need to ride one is your right hand.

(edit) Plus, power is programmable. You wanna go fast and do wheelies, dial it up. You want a calm ride with no accidental spikes in power, put it in ECO mode. Most electric motorcycles also have the ability to dial in the settings you want in a custom mode so you can really make it perform how you want.

Just a friendly suggestion to consider for anyone that is finding shifting a difficult task.
Electric motorcycles are ok BUT they are all as ugly as SIN. Until they start making motorcycles that look like motorcycles should look I do not think that anybody would be interested in buying one. Some scooters even look better and that is saying something about electric motorcycles. I am thinking that a motorcycle with a DCT transmission is the way to go but some of those can look a bit strange as well. Harley-Davidson came up with the Live Wire and it did not sell. It went well but just looked bad. They should have just put an electric engine in a Harley-Davidson Sportster or a Cruiser and it would have been more of a seller than the Live Wire (now discontinued) ever was. An electric motorcycle that looked like a V Star 650 Classic Cruiser would be popular and I would consider one of those.

PS I personally do not like Harley-Davidson motorcycles and I was only using that make of motorcycle to make a point because of there Live Wire electric motorcycle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
faffi, that little twisty thing on the right side is used to control the amount of power. They do build some bikes with different selectable modes but ultimately, we need to learn to control the bike and make good decisions (I am laid up with a broken leg as I am typing this so that includes me). The Road Star is the biggest bike that I have ever ridden and is a whole different animal than the middle weight cruisers I am used to riding. I am used to twisting the throttle hard to keep up and with the Road Star it doesn't take as much throttle and the shifts come quicker. I am going to start riding more like the old guy that I am and enjoy the cruise more...

2321 - 2340 of 2349 Posts