Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late last fall, I bought a 1999 V-Star 650 Classic with low mileage. It was rarely used in the last few years. The battery was dead when I got it. I put in a new battery and put 1 kilometer on the bike. The next day, I was hospitalized and spent a good 6 weeks in the hospital. The weather was beautiful the whole time I was hospitalized and when it came time to leave the hospital, winter had arrived. My son and son-in-law put the bike in a tiny doorless shed at my daughter's place. There was too much snow to reach the shed at the far end of the field. We had a very cold winter with temperatures most often in the -20 to -40 celsius. Finally, just a few days ago, the snow had melted and I could reach my bike to see how it had fared. I turned the ignition key and the bike started up right away. Next step will be a complete oil change, emptying the old gas from the gas tank etc etc etc.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
My 650 has done that every winter for the last 5 years. I put seafoam in the full tank to stabilize the fuel, and I check the battery once a month to see if its creeping down (and bump it up with a 2A charger if it is).

but every spring, turn the key on, let the fuel pump run for a few seconds, and it starts right up in about 1/2 a second.

Love these bikes. The 650 doesnt have anything connected to the battery when the key is off, no clock - keyfob, alarm... so when its off there is zero drain on the battery.

BTW, I have a lot of respect and gratitude for modern medicine. There are a lot of people walking around today who would have died 20 years ago with the same illness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts