Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Simple Power Mods for V Star 950 and Head Buffeting with Windshield

24K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  gunnerbob 
#1 ·
To all,

~two years ago this forum was absolutely wonderful in helping me decide on purchasing a 2012 V Star 950 (non tourer. It was my first bike after 30 years of not riding and I was worried about buying to large a bike and winding up a statistic. I absolutely love the bike and take her out every chance I get for short rides and the occasional 150 miler.

Now, two things I'd love some help with if anyone has some advice:

1) I added a windshield (similar to the stock one for the touring version of this model). I actually look over the top of the windshield and I've tried the adjustments to lean it back and forward and the symptoms are the same; at speeds above 65+ miles per hour I can barely see due to the buffeting that seems to shake my head so much I can barely read road signs. From my readings on this forum, it appears the consensus is that this is not due to the windshield, it's due to not having lower shields in place to keep the wind from coming up the body (at least I think that's what I'm reading)? If I'm reading it right, anyone have any good suggestions (and links), to what types of lower shields I should put into place (or any other suggestions)?

2) Are there any simple mods that I can do (things that can be undone to take the bike back to stock), to improve the power of the bike? She pulls well, but seems slower in acceleration that what I remember from my old 750 and she seems to start to run out of pull at around 75'ish (which around here on the 70 MPH roads is considered slow if you don't want to get run over from behind). I'm 6'1" and weigh 210 so I hope I'm not the problem. From what I've read here there are some air intake kits and things people are doing to improve power. Note: I'm not trying to make her a crotch rocket, I'd just like a little more pull and some more acceleration at the 70-85 range if I needed it.

Thanks for any advice/help

Bob H

See less See more
#3 ·
Well Bob, I suppose you could try a taller shield. I've found that for me the ideal height is just below eye level/mid nose to reduce buffeting. I have the OEM windshield on my 950 and I have the same problem you do, above 60mph the buffeting and wind noise get somewhat annoying. I'm sure that adding lower shields would help too, any amount of keeping the wind off you would seem to be an improvement. I think Star offers such shields in their online catalog.

As far as simple mods to increase power you could get an after market exhaust, hi-flow air filter and a tune with a PCV or something. I was reading somewhere that gains around 8% are common with such modifications. Other than those things I believe you would have to start getting to the internals for more power.

Of course, losing weight would help too but that's usually easier said than done. I'd love to drop 20lbs but have a slow-as-molasses metabolism and don't always eat the way I should. I run two miles and do body weight exercises (push-ups, diamonds, crunches & walking lunges) 3-4 days a week just to maintain overall health.

#20 · (Edited)
Well Bob, I suppose you could try a taller shield. I've found that for me the ideal height is just below eye level/mid nose to reduce buffeting. I have the OEM windshield on my 950 and I have the same problem you do, above 60mph the buffeting and wind noise get somewhat annoying.
Same here. I'd like another 2" over the OEM which would get me nose level. Long term goal of mine though is a batwing. Longer now that I just ordered a shield for the wife's Boulevard.

#4 ·
Hi Bob,
I own an 09' 950t, and last summer I began my upgrades. I left the factory emissions in place, and shopped around saving over $400 in the process. I added the cobra 4 " slip-on muffler, 27 min install, added the LA choppers XXX open air kit, and the cobra fi2ooor fuel management system. I gained an easy 8-10% increase in overall performance. I did lose about 2-3mpg, but I'm ok with it. I went from riding 2up at 75mph with decent performance, to 85mph 2up and it pulled without even breathing hard. I'm 5'11" and 206 lbs so weight didn't matter. I bought a Memphis shades batwing fairing with a 12' clear windshield and it came with lowers already on it. At 75-80 out on the highway, I have very little buffeting. I live in a flat fairly windy area and still have limited buffeting. Some other members didn't like the sound of the cobra slip-on and that's understandable. I like it, and want to be heard as well since my area has the second highest vehicle fatality rate in the state. If you do upgrades, I suggest taking your time and shop around. Hope this helps in some small way. Let us know what you decide to do.

#11 ·
I did this exact mod this past Sunday on my 950, disconnected the battery for 30 mins to reset the ECU, and went for a ride. Noticeable improvement. I can't wait for another ride this week/end when I can take a longer ride. I was hesitant, but darn glad I did it.

#12 ·
Good to know, thanks.

I did this exact mod this past Sunday on my 950, disconnected the battery for 30 mins to reset the ECU, and went for a ride. Noticeable improvement. I can't wait for another ride this week/end when I can take a longer ride. I was hesitant, but darn glad I did it.
I've read this several times and always see different results. Did you notice popping before you disconnected the battery, did it lessen afterward?

#15 ·
Hey gunnerbob,
The first mod I made to my 950t was drilling holes in my stock airbox and adding a k&n air filter. It took that flat spot out off pulling away from a red light, yet I didn't need a fuel processor since my bike is fuel injected and the additional air flow wasn't enough to warrant a fuel processor, etc. Only after adding aftermarket exhaust and an open air filter did I need the fuel processor. I think with such a low buck mod, and a few minutes of your time, you'll be pleased. Just my opinion though.

#16 ·
I purchased my 950 with a V&H slip-on already installed and she pops more on decel than I care for, sometimes it's firecracker-loud. In your experience, would drilling the air box whilst keeping the stock air filter improve the popping issue I already have?

Also, that's interesting about your modification correcting the flat-spot coming from a stop. When I test rode this bike I thought that something was wrong with it when I encountered the flat-spot until I saw some Dyno graphs... and realized that's just the way it was tuned.

#17 ·
In my experience I believe it would help some as you're allowing a little more air in. When I did my upgrades I did a good amount of research. Bevo was a huge help, and I spoke with three mechanics all with good reputations. All three stated that these bikes are built to run very lean to pass EPA regulations, yet when properly upgraded, they respond very well. I did the mod to the airbox first with a noticeable improvement over stock setup, but I wanted more. Next was the 4" cobra slip-on muffler. More improvement and more sound that I liked. Finally I purchased the cobra fi2ooor fuel processor and a la choppers XXX open air filter kit. I set the pots on the fuel processor as recommended, and what a difference! I followed the principals all three mechanics recommended. An engine is a mere air pump, the more you let in and out, the more power you're going to make. I still get an avg of 45-48 mpg and I'm good with that. Once I get back from vacation, I'll be going to a local dyno shop and see if there's any more room for improvement. I'll post the results. BTW I'll be listing my factory air box with the drilled holes and k&n air filter for $50 plus shipping costs. Hope this helps. I primarily burn non-ethanol fuel as I have two local stations that sell it. Again i hope this helps in some small way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.