Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
V Star 950
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vstar 1300 ( same sissy bar as 950) and plan to attach a trunk with backrest. The problem is that the rack mounts with bolts that thread into the ends of the sissy bar ( the ends that are in the bracket that bolts to the rear fender) .

Does anyone know where to get a threaded pc (need one for each side) to replace the ends of the sissy bar?

·
Registered
V Star 950
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A picture is worth a thousand words......

I’m not sure these loaded correctly. If you start with the third pic and scroll up it’s easier to see what I’m doing a mediocre (at best) job of describing 😅.

The screws that hold the backrest in place thread into the backrest itself. The bottom of the backrest slides into the fender brackets and then two screws on each side (two screws in first pic....I actually picked up chrome cap screws for after I get this cleaned up).

The trunk mounts on top of the rear rack and has a backrest pad... so the factory sissy bar/ backrest isn’t used...... but then the screws don’t have a place to go????

C5EAF70B-32C6-4E22-89BA-B81C9A80D397.jpeg
52704BD9-B6A9-4946-B153-9CEB949FED50.jpeg
08DC264D-0FD2-406B-AFC7-7F33F9C17487.jpeg

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hmmmm. This is an interesting problem and one that has me stumped. I don't know that there is any off the shelf product that will solve this. I assume that the trunk/backrest is not a Yamaha product and therefore does not use the sissy bar mount as it is. Does the trunk have a mounting kit that is not associated with using the existing sissy bar mount?

·
Registered
V Star 950
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. It just mounts to the rear rack. Barring any better findings, I’m going to fit flat stock in the fender bracket and then drill/tap so I can fasten the rear rack in place as it is now. Other option is to look for a backrest for sale and then cut off the ends. (I still need the backrest because I’m only going to use the rear trunk occasionally).

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Get a piece of pipe,cut it,drill it, paint it black ,pop a couple chrome furniture caps in the pipe and use it when you want the trunk.

·
Registered
V Star 950
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that might work! I’m going to pull the backrest and see what size pipe I can get in there. Thanks!

·
Registered
V Star 950
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May not be as easy as I thought. I may have to use barstock and grind it to fit then drill and tap. I’ll probably have to paint the exposed top of the bar .... I don’t know if chrome paint would ever look good so probably all black. I would use aluminum if I could find it and then polish the exposed top.

897DFDC4-F38F-40C0-BD2E-7297EBC9DB76.jpeg
2801F6DB-9CC6-4091-BE57-B1186F626DA5.jpeg
2801F6DB-9CC6-4091-BE57-B1186F626DA5.jpeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts