Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the open air intake / exhaust / tuner thing to my 2012 Vstar 950.
I found a Kuryakyn alley Cat that fits at a good price. There are no dimensions on any of Mfg websites of these things. This is the round caged style with the K & N filter element.

For those of you who have done this mod - My question; Does the filter element stick out any further than the stock unit?

Here is a pic of the Intake.
It looks like different brand intakes of this style are about the same size but none of the manufacturers list dimensions.
I don't want a unit that sticks out so far I have to rearrange the way I sit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,112 Posts
i have the LA Choppers XXX air intake on my 950 which looks very similar. it does stick out a tad bit further than the stock airbox cover. the only drawback is on long stretches of highway your legs get a little more fatigued since they are sticking out a little further from the tank and absorbing more wind.

·
Super Moderator
6,090 Posts
My experience has been the same as Bevo’s. I have the same air filter kit that he does and your right leg will get a little more fatigued.
Opening up the air filter system was the most noticeable improvement I’ve made performance wise. The 950’s run very lean from the factory as they’re required to pass strict California EPA laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts