Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day - not sure if anybody reads these things, but I'l keep it brief.

Married, 3 kids, had a Suzuki Marauder years ago which I sold just before tying the knot. 12 years passed, during each of which my need to get back on 2 wheels got stronger and stronger. I was lucky enough to find a 2002 Yamaha V Star Classic in great condition and in my price range, and even luckier that the wife was 100% on board, so I picked it up and have been loving every second I'm on her.

I pretty much ride side roads or 'country' roads, or just for my 3 miles to work. Here in central NJ, highways can bring you in contact with a lot of ragers and distracted drivers, so I just keep it slow and simple when I get a chance to ride.

Looking forward to picking up some tips and learning a thing or two from the more experienced folks here.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum JPR, glad you're enjoying being back in the saddle. Any pics you'd like to share with us? We love pics here and ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks for the great welcome - really appreciate it.

Interestingly, I only have one picture, which is in my avatar and attached here. Once I get her back up and running, I'll get some more.

:grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
JPR you have the right attitude.

The one thing we have control over to limit our risk, is to not ride in crazy traffic, multilane streets, and interstate highways.

Not that you cant ride on the interstate or through the middle of the city in rush hour if you need to, just understand your risk is higher.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Welcome JPR, and welcome back to biking.

I prefer a nice 50mph country road but I also don't mind running down the highway. Of course, around here our Trans Canada is only a 2 lane divided highway, which isn't too bad. I don't think riding a multi-lane interstate would be much fun on 2 wheels. Been through places like NYC, Atlanta, Houston, DC, Baltimore, Toronto, Montreal, etc and an 18 wheeler felt like the safest mode of transportation in those situations...lol

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Just always ride as no one can see you, most of the cagers don't. I always play a mind game when riding, what if that car did this, what would I do. Meaning if a car came in my lane, do I slow up, speed up or swerve. I always have a planned way out of the situation. The one time you need to make a last second decision you will appreciate the game. Don't forget about the cars behind you. A lot of motorcycle wrecks I've heard about lately have been bikers hit from the rear. Ride safe and often.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks again for all the welcomes and comments - really wasn't expecting any of that!

It's 75 and clear here in central NJ today, am really hoping to get out a bit, even if it's only a 15 min loop around town. Gotta test my homemade shifter fix :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
JPR, Welcome from Waldorf MD. My approach is similar and the one thing I keep in my mind from my MSC is "ride your ride!" Being 58 and riding a motorcycle [950 Tourer!] in southern Maryland can be exhilarating one minute and deadly the next, but I ride my ride and let others ride theirs. I have 3 grandsons that want their PaPa around and I plan to be there for them God willing. One last thing I believe in - You don't get old by being stupid and careless. Enjoy your ride!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts