Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's off to the right side where a small 2.5"x2.5" panel is located. Just finished a hundred mile ride two days ago and noticed today there was about a dime size spot of oil on the floor underneath my bike. I'm assuming it's leaking where the metal looks extremely clean but that's just me making a half a**ed guess. Any idea what gasket I'm looking for? Is this a common issue? I don't think it's leaking from the middle of the crank case since the bike leans to the left when the kickstand is out and the leak is on the right side of the crankcase gasket.

(second picture is a little more clear)
(2001 v-star 1100 classic)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts
That's the oil level sensor. It has a small oring that gets hard and starts leaking. Normally you can take sensor off and install new oring. Mine leaked there and oring fixed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it safe to say that I just remove those to allen bolts and the sensor pulls right out? Will all the oil drain out at the same time this happens? Do you know the size of this particular o-ring?

·
5,474 Posts
Is it safe to say that I just remove those to allen bolts and the sensor pulls right out?
Yes

Will all the oil drain out at the same time this happens?
Don't remember, I did oil change at same time.

Do you know the size of this particular o-ring?
Don't remember, I keep an oring assortment and just matched it.
Sorry, not much help, super easy. I spent more time cleaning than replacing oring.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
a great resource for working on your bike is the website www.bikebandit.com

click on OEM parts and Yamaha, enter your bike model and year, and follow the OEM parts tree on the left side of the screen down into the section of the bike you are working on

there are exploding drawings of every part, and it will list the part number, part name, and the price if they sell it. Dont know if it gives the sizes for orings, but with the yamaha part number from there you should be able to google it

or just buy the part from bikebandit

any yamaha dealer in your area should have it in stock

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a great resource for working on your bike is the website www.bikebandit.com

click on OEM parts and Yamaha, enter your bike model and year, and follow the OEM parts tree on the left side of the screen down into the section of the bike you are working on

there are exploding drawings of every part, and it will list the part number, part name, and the price if they sell it. Dont know if it gives the sizes for orings, but with the yamaha part number from there you should be able to google it

or just buy the part from bikebandit

any yamaha dealer in your area should have it in stock
Well i found the protector plate that covers the sensor (#14) but nothing about the oil sensor or o-ring.. but hell, i'll dive in to it and see what I can't figure out. A little exploratory surgery never hurt anybody.

Attachments

·
5,474 Posts
Here's best picture I could find with sensor out. Arrow points to oring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's best picture I could find with sensor out. Arrow points to oring.
Got the sensor out... the o-ring is still in one piece, i don't notice any cuts, nicks or grooves in it but I guess that still doesnt mean it isn't bad. Suppose i'll head down to the bike shop and get some oil since I just drained it all. Any idea on best way to hunt down the correct size o-ring?

·
5,474 Posts
Taking sensor with old oring and matching it up will be the easiest to get new one. Any hardware store or auto parts house will be able to match.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well after a thorough evaluation from me (and mostly the guy at Advanced Auto) i believe the leak is not coming from the O-ring but the grommet where the sensor wire pokes out of. The o-ring looks cherry and the grommet looks sketchy at best so I'm really hoping that this assumption is correct. Next stop... eBay.

Thank y'all for the guidance on this one!

***Is it a cheap, stupid move to go with a 20W50 synthetic blend oil over full synthetic to save myself the $20?

Attachments

·
5,474 Posts
Clean with alcohol very good and seal with RTV, Permatex Gray works the best. It's made with RTV from manufacturer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn.. that's what the guy at Advanced recommended too.... think it'll hold?

Did you see my question about synthetic blend vs full synthetic oil?

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
o rings dont have to be nicked to leak

they get less pliable with age and no longer expand to fill the gaps when pushed into place

there are many o rings on the bike, in general if you work on something, like adjusting the tappets with the covers off, if the orings are more than 5 years old just replace them. Esp the tappet covers, if you put the old ones back on and they dont seat and they ooze, it will take another two hours move the carbs out of the way again to take the tappet covers off.

So even if it did not look like that o ring was leaking, now that you have un-seated it, it probably will not re-seal - replace it - only a couple dollars.

synethic oil is a running debate and discussion. I dont think your engine will wear out any faster with standard oil, but I recently replaced the oil in both of my bikes with synthetic Moble 1 10W40, and to me it seems like both bikes run quieter, smoother, shift easier... For me its worth twice the price, esp for Ursa - Royal Star oil change is 8000 miles.

·
5,474 Posts
Damn.. that's what the guy at Advanced recommended too.... think it'll hold?

Did you see my question about synthetic blend vs full synthetic oil?
If you clean it really good before using the RTV it will hold. I've only run full synthetic in my vehicles for many years. Never had a negative issue. Watch the sales and it's really not that much more expensive.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I bought Mobil One in the 5 quart bottle, not the motorcycle version, the 10W40 "for older engine" car oil.

It does not have the super slippery mileage enhancers what will make a wet clutch slip in a motorcycle
but it also does not have the extra additives they put in the Mobile One 4 cycle motorcycle specific oil

5 quart bottle was about $23 at walmart so.... $4.60 / quart - not that expensive really.

works out Ursa uses 4 quarts, VS650 uses 3 - so two 5 quart bottles was enough to change both, and have 3 quarts left for the next oil change on the VS650, and the intervals match: 8k miles for the Royal Star (water cooled) and 4k miles for the 650

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a similar oil leak that just developed, except that my bike is a 650. I have been riding the bike almost everyday. Yesterday I found a drop of oil under the right side of the bike, but I Didn’t think much of it. Today I went for a ride, put the bike back in the garage when I was done, a few hours later I found one drop of oil on the floor again. At first I thought it was coming from the oil filter, but I last changed the oil in December, since I have put 700 miles on the bike with no oil leaks. I checked everywhere but it is definitely not leaking from the filter. It’s coming from under the bike, right side.
Any ideas what to look for ?

·
5,474 Posts
Super clean the entire area. Clean enough to eat off of. Take a short ride and hopefully you will see where it's coming from. The smallest amount of oil run down and normally back from where the leak is due to gravity and wind.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Update - I wanted to make sure the small oil leak issue on my VStar 650 is gone for sure to update this thread with the findings and the fix.
@Deeksvstarclassic you were pretty warm on this one. Turns out that the oil leak was coming from the oil filter O ring, the leak was small enough that somehow the oil was trickling away from under the oil filter section. Visually I could not tell where it was coming from and it was driving me crazy. We are talking about one drop of oil on the floor after each ride, my VStar never did that. Anyways, at the suggestion of "Deeksvstarclassic" I decided to remove the cover to check if the bolts were tight enough. The bolts were snug, but I removed the cover I saw the oil passing thru the O ring creating a bit of a build up. Kind of strange, I replaced the oil, oil filter, and O ring that I bought on Amazon last December. Luckily, I had an OEM filter and O ring in my garage for my next oil change, I always like to keep these things in stock. I pulled the O ring and replaced it with the OEM one and problem solved, I've been driving the bike, not a single drop of oil on the floor.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
^ things like that make me a stickler for must-have-torque-wrench like religion

if you have it torqued to spec and its still leaking/oozing then there is no doubt you need a new gasket

and there is zero tendency to want to torque it 'just a little bit more' to make it stop

1 - 20 of 26 Posts