Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... since first bringing then Venture home I've been having issues with the Fob; I know that if we don't use it for a while it automatically turns off (after 9 days). But with mine it seems to be every day. On my last two rides I had to leave the gas cap opened just so that I wouldn't have to fumble with the routine of trying to turn it back on every time I want to take off. And the manual says to push and hold for one second to turn back on, that doesn't seem to do it! As a matter of fact I haven't found what seems to bring the Fob back to life; I just push every button on Fob and on bike until I get lights or beeps. Sometimes is as fast as 20 seconds and sometime up to several minutes.
Does anyone else have this annoying problem? Will disabling the alarm take care of this?

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you replaced the battery in the fob? 2018 battery could have gone bad/weak. That is the first thing I would try.
LOL I just walked in from messing some more with it!
You are right my friend, I was going through all the settings and ran into "messages"; turns out I had a bunch of "Low Fob battery" messages!!
going to get battery changed ASAP

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just as an FYI, I had a discussion about this with my dealer, he was going to replace the battery because I bought the 2018 just a month or 2 ago in 2020, so his assumption was battery would be low after sitting for 2 years. I checked the voltage and was 2.97v, which is still good. I was curious about how long will these button batteries will last. If you read the manual it say replace every 2 years when in service, but that's because there is a constant voltage draw as long as the alarm system is armed. But in my case, the bike was just uncrated a week before I bought it, and the battery must have a film tab you pull out when the battery is new to make contact with the keyfob terminal post. We talked and both thought that keeping a spare battery on bike would be a good way to protect yourself from not having to go through the emergency procedure if the fob battery dies (supposedly kind of a pain to do). When packaged or protected from discharge should last up to10 years (I just bought one that says to use by 2029).
Depending on the devise sensitivity the battery is powering, a 3.3vdc (new voltage) button battery is considered dead between 2.5-2.8 vdc, or probably ~80% of new voltage. I think there is a light that's suppose to flash on your dashboard when you first start bike, to tell you fob has a low battery.

·
Registered
132 Posts
On my fob I hold down the unlock button until the led light flashes. If I remember correctly there is a long flash for off and a short flash for on. Pretty sure you will have to hold button 2-3 seconds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
From the Owners Manual page 4-5:
"To turn the smart key on or off
Push the unlock button “ ” for 1 second
to turn the smart key on or off.
When the smart key is turned off, the
vehicle cannot be operated even if the
smart key is within operating range. To
operate the vehicle, turn the smart key
on and bring it within operating range."

Only way I know to ensure the FOB is off is push the on/off switch on the bike and if will not push down all the way and click then the FOB is off.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just as an FYI, I had a discussion about this with my dealer, he was going to replace the battery because I bought the 2018 just a month or 2 ago in 2020, so his assumption was battery would be low after sitting for 2 years. I checked the voltage and was 2.97v, which is still good. I was curious about how long will these button batteries will last. If you read the manual it say replace every 2 years when in service, but that's because there is a constant voltage draw as long as the alarm system is armed. But in my case, the bike was just uncrated a week before I bought it, and the battery must have a film tab you pull out when the battery is new to make contact with the keyfob terminal post. We talked and both thought that keeping a spare battery on bike would be a good way to protect yourself from not having to go through the emergency procedure if the fob battery dies (supposedly kind of a pain to do). When packaged or protected from discharge should last up to10 years (I just bought one that says to use by 2029).
Depending on the devise sensitivity the battery is powering, a 3.3vdc (new voltage) button battery is considered dead between 2.5-2.8 vdc, or probably ~80% of new voltage. I think there is a light that's suppose to flash on your dashboard when you first start bike, to tell you fob has a low battery.
I don't know if there is a light that warns you or not, but I found a bunch of messages in the Menu. All but one were "Low Fob Battery"; the other one was Fob communication error or something like that, which is the same thing I guess.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my fob I hold down the unlock button until the led light flashes. If I remember correctly there is a long flash for off and a short flash for on. Pretty sure you will have to hold button 2-3 seconds.
I still haven't figure out the light thing, but my remote would not work with long flash or short flash. I changed the battery and woala! Now it's working. Like "rs1300" I just bought my 2018 last month so you would think the battery in the Fob would be "still new"... but apparently that wasn't the case.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The light is not on the bike. It is a very small led light above the unlock button on the fob. Helps to see the light if your inside a building out of the sunlight.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes there is a light on the dash.

View attachment 100379
Yes I saw the light, but I think what rs1300 was trying to say is that the light is suppose to flash if the Fob has a low battery. Don't know if it should flash or not, I guess I should have checked before changing the battery, (I don't remember flashing though). What I do know is that in the "Vehicle Messages" (pg. 8-9) it will give you something like this:
"The battery of smart key has lowered. Replace it with a new battery. One button battery CR2025."

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The light is not on the bike. It is a very small led light above the unlock button on the fob. Helps to see the light if your inside a building out of the sunlight.
What I noticed about that red led light on the Fob was that sometimes if I pressed and hold the unlock (or lock button) it will blink "normal" and sometimes it will blink "short". So I thought it was when the Fob was turning off/on.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes I saw the light, but I think what rs1300 was trying to say is that the light is suppose to flash if the Fob has a low battery. Don't know if it should flash or not, I guess I should have checked before changing the battery, (I don't remember flashing though). What I do know is that in the "Vehicle Messages" (pg. 8-9) it will give you something like this:
"The battery of smart key has lowered. Replace it with a new battery. One button battery CR2025."
Yes, that is what I was saying, but I tested that and it doesn't seem to be working as stated on P.4-6 in my Eluder Owners Manual. Also looked in the Eluder manual but couldn't find P.8-9, but then found the "Vehicle Messages" on P.8-9 in the Infotainment System Owners Manual.
Here's a picture of page 4-6 noting the Low Battery on the System Indicator Light.

So I checked this light on my bike with the original battery and it flashed for ~20 seconds after I turned the bike on, so I assumed my battery was low. I removed the new battery I bought, and checked the voltage, was 3.3v as it should be when new. I replaced the old battery (still at the 2.9v that I checked a few weeks ago) and turned on the bike with the new battery, and the System Indicator Light still flashes about 20 seconds. So the manual (or the programing of light) isn't what is says. I checked my messages, and found most of them were low battery messages, it must send one out each time you start bike. I didn't check if the message icon was on the home page, I went to the Communication menu and deleted all of messages. I tried turning on the bike a couple of different times and each time the System light flashed and I got a low battery message with the new 3.3v battery. So obviously there is something wrong with the system programming. I guess the only way to know is when the smart key starts acting funky, or checking the battery voltage. But not sure how low you can run the battery down to, 2.9v seemed to be working fine for me.

Edit: I'm putting the original 2.9v battery in and will see how long it last before I start having problems with the system. I will recheck battery voltage so we have an idea what the lowest voltage may be before you have problems

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, that is what I was saying, but I tested that and it doesn't seem to be working as stated on P.4-6 in my Eluder Owners Manual. Also looked in the Eluder manual but couldn't find P.8-9, but then found the "Vehicle Messages" on P.8-9 in the Infotainment System Owners Manual.
Here's a picture of page 4-6 noting the Low Battery on the System Indicator Light.
View attachment 100390

So I checked this light on my bike with the original battery and it flashed for ~20 seconds after I turned the bike on, so I assumed my battery was low. I removed the new battery I bought, and checked the voltage, was 3.3v as it should be when new. I replaced the old battery (still at the 2.9v that I checked a few weeks ago) and turned on the bike with the new battery, and the System Indicator Light still flashes about 20 seconds. So the manual (or the programing of light) isn't what is says. I checked my messages, and found most of them were low battery messages, it must send one out each time you start bike. I didn't check if the message icon was on the home page, I went to the Communication menu and deleted all of messages. I tried turning on the bike a couple of different times and each time the System light flashed and I got a low battery message with the new 3.3v battery. So obviously there is something wrong with the system programming. I guess the only way to know is when the smart key starts acting funky, or checking the battery voltage. But not sure how low you can run the battery down to, 2.9v seemed to be working fine for me.

Edit: I'm putting the original 2.9v battery in and will see how long it last before I start having problems with the system. I will recheck battery voltage so we have an idea what the lowest voltage may be before you have problems
I guess I'll check my old battery too. Mine WAS giving me problems, so more than likely mine should be below what your "old" is (2.9V). Will see if my voltmeter reads it when I get home. I will also reinstall and see if there is a difference on the number of flashes with old vs new battery.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The light on the dash indicated a problem with the fob, normally due to low battery. That is the light I was talking about, sorry to confuse you.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture TC
67 Posts
The light on the dash indicated a problem with the fob, normally due to low battery. That is the light I was talking about, sorry to confuse you.
That light on the dash will also flash if the key moves out of range while the bike is running. I keep my key in my pants front pocket, and I've had it fall out of range when the pocket shifted over from inner to outer thigh. I've learned to put the key in my pocket the "right" way now. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I took the recommendation to put the FOB smart key on a lanyard and where it around my neck. So far it appears to be a fairly convenient practice and allows the FOB smart key to maintain communications with the motorcycle.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha Star Venture
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I tested my old battery and it was at 2.8v, reinstalled it into Fob and “no go”. Didn’t get led light on Fob no light on dashboard...nothing. Back to new battery and all good; so apparently 2.9v is the lowest for a battery to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
So I tested my old battery and it was at 2.8v, reinstalled it into Fob and “no go”. Didn’t get led light on Fob no light on dashboard...nothing. Back to new battery and all good; so apparently 2.9v is the lowest for a battery to work.
Just curious if you checked to see if the System Indicator Light flash's for ~20 seconds, and if you still get low battery messages after you installed the new battery like mine did in post #13?

·
Registered
Star Eluder
309 Posts
This is kind of on topic. Last time my fob battery went out I bought a 2 pack of batteries so the second lives in the left compartment as a spare in case it's twin dies on me while out riding. Seems a nice little bit of insurance to me. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts