Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok odd question here but...does anyone else notice a smell of oil on or around yourself after riding for a while??? Is there any way to minimize this, and/or what could be happening to cause this?? there are no oil or gas leaks at all.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Do you have a windshield on the bike?

If they are not adjusted (tilt) just right it can cause the exhaust from your tailpipe to backdraft into the still air you are riding in.

I notice it when I put the WS on my 650, when its below 50F in the late fall and early spring - mostly catch the exhaust smell when I stop and speed up again. It can take a half mile or more for the captured exhaust to dissipate.

If you dont have a windshield its possible you have an exhaust leak near the heads, and its doing the same thing, backdrafting around you in the windstream

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,359 Posts
Check tappet covers. Oil will drip onto exhaust and smell, common issue with bikes that have some age on them. The gaskets are rubber orings which age with time and leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well further digging uncovered what must be a weak connection between the vent hose that goes from the air box to the front cylinder :confused: It does have that spring clip's on there but still must be leaking by.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
the crankcase vent hose from the cylinder head to the air box should not be leaking out oil vapor

when the engine is running the air box is pulling a partial vacuum on that hose, to vent the oil fumes from the crankcase into the carbs, where it burns. I cant imagine there being pressure in that hose to blow oily smelling air out thru a bad connection

unless the hose was off the airbox completely

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unless the hose was off the airbox completely
I think it must have been at some point before I got in there, looks like oil got sprayed all around that top part of the frame wish bone etc...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a windshield on the bike? If they are not adjusted (tilt) just right it can cause the exhaust from your tailpipe to backdraft into the still air you are riding in.
Yep that's what it was!! you called it...I trimmed just about 2" off my windshield, re-installed it so there is more air gap between headlight and bottom of shield. I never would have guessed that backdrafting was even possible on a bike!! Took your advice, did some more research and yep...it's definitely a thing. Cheers!!

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
when I first put the Mephis Shades Fats WS on my 650 I think I tilted it all the way back, because you know, aerodynamic, right?

Riding down the street with my mesh jacket on I could feel the backdraft on my back. It felt like the wind was blowing me down the street in every direction I went.

I didnt get the exhaust smell until I started trying to get rid of head buffeting at 75mph - got rid of the head buffeting, then I was smelling the exhaust....

Windshields for both of my bikes stay in the garage most of the time. The whole point of riding a motorbike is to be out IN THE AIR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts