Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't tell the wife, lol!

------

First, was at my dealer yesterday, and the shop tech, told me that he had spoken to a Yamaha Canada Rep, over another owner's SVTC request on last Thursday, and he was told by that rep, to expect a ***MAJOR*** software update release from Yamaha Canada, for the SVTC/Eluder software, most likely released within the next 14 days!

***THIS IS FOR the Canadian model...*** as our software is different from the USA software...as we don't have Pandora enabled on-screen, that service is not available in Canada.....it will be compatible for the 2020 model, as well as the 2018. If this will also be released for the American market, that I cannot say.

Secondly....about oil...yeah...about that....lol...

Bill/American/Whatever Farms, whatever (smile)------>was ***very much--->RIGHT*** regarding his theory, that the Star Venture/Eluder 113 C.I. engine ***DOES*** run much better, smoother, with quicker RPM uptake, silky-smooth and very light pressure to shift, transmission performance,----> with 10W40, rather than a heavier viscosity, 15W50, or 20W50. Bill...was absolutely, 'on the money'.

I am getting fabulous engine and operational smoothness/performance/transmission included, by the use of:

Royal Purple MAX CYCLE 10W40. I can say with the two thousand miles upon the oil....that it has given me the best transmission performance in shifting smoothness, no growl or howl while under two-up, kitchen-sink touring...and I shall be staying with this brand, and viscosity, further on, both for my 2018 SVTC and my 2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S 750 four. On the Kawa...instant throttle response and RPM climb....again, the same silky transmission toe-and-click for up and downshifts...as I have the same Royal Purple MAX CYCLE 10W40 in both rides now. I know that the brand, and viscosity index a user runs with is a most VERY personal choice...and you can lead a horse to water...but.....well, you can fill in the rest...BUT...with that all stated, I have never had such fabulous performance in ease of shifting of the transmission, quietness of the motor regarding internal workings, and in my opinion, this oil mentioned even eclipses a long time usage of Amzoil 10W40. Whatever proprietary additive packages (and levels parts per million) Royal Purple uses in their MAX CYCLE (premium full synthetic) 10W40 or 20W50....in my books...is a total winner, worthy of continued and long term vestige.

The above mentioned manufacturer, and oil viscosity will now replace what I had used before it...namely Yamaha's 15W50, My SVTC much prefers...(thank's Bill), a 10W40 viscosity, full premium synthetic.

If you take nothing else away from this...is that again (thanks Bill!) you only truly need to run no higher a viscosity in the SVTC 113 C.I., than 10W40. It flows faster and easier around the oil pathways...faster through the oil cooler and pathways,...and that alone translates to a cooler running engine and transmission. Oil gets to the parts needing immediate lubrication faster than running a thicker 20W50 product at start up, Summer, and/or Spring or Fall morning starts. Nuff said... :)
----------------------------------------------

Sorry to have read about Rob's dropping of his bike, on the parking lot incline....but very glad to read that both he and his wife didn't take a hard fall, other than some scrapes to the plastic underside of the bag touching the ground. Replace that...and good as new.

So...here's a glass to the coming (FINALLY!) software update, that as the rep told my dealer's shop tech...DOES and WILL address lacking elements in the Navigation system, and a refinement of operation to other parts of that which makes up the features of the software.

Cheers, and now...packing up for a ride on a glorious Saturday (SUNNY...no rain....no......RAIN!!!!!) morning all...get out there...put some miles on past the rear wheel...and as always...be safe...and most importantly----always ride...to RIDE AGAIN~!

Joe

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I like the idea of 10W40 but am concerned about heat issues. Currently it is like riding a wood stove on hot days in stop and go driving. I shut mine off all the time to keep heat down.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I like the idea of 10W40 but am concerned about heat issues. Currently it is like riding a wood stove on hot days in stop and go driving. I shut mine off all the time to keep heat down.
I can't stand it...really can't...not participating on this Forum. I made a promise...but this one might have to be, er...renegotiated....(large smile).

So..in responding Crossbowme, I have seen a marked difference in left side rearward heat, from that to a low key, 'the engine is operating--warmth', when having run my SVTC in 85 plus F outside temps so far this year, in comparison to last year when I solely ran with either a 15W50, or a full 20W50. What I believe is happening, is that the 10W40 really can move at a faster clip around the many, many running feet of the oil pathway from holding tank, to finally back to the holding tank. Your hot oil (which IS an integral part of the cooling system besides the fins...) is seeing more time past the internal galleries of the Oil Cooler per mile run, the the oil pump works less to move it along, and along with the Synerlec Additive Package of the Royal Purple Max Cycle 10W40, there is less heat being generated for the oil and air fins to contend with. I feel no more heat, other than a light 'warmth' that anybody would feel with a massive running engine just ahead of their calves and upper thighs. My wife feels nothing from the engine or the left side of the rear cylinder. We are as comfortable as we were running our 2008 Goldwing.

Since running the oil I mention at the viscosity, there is much less internal noise coming from the 113, and where I once had a slight grrrrr...or howl, come from the tranny on really hot days, when starting off in 1rst gear running 15W50 and 20W50,...when we are in two-up (Kitchen Sink Touring Mode),...now, nothing...no stress sound from the transmission at all, let alone it's now effortless to move up or down through the six speed. Effortless...a slight shift pressure on my toe, and click...yep...click...to the higher or lower gear. LOVE IT!

Don't just try a 10W40. I am being specific here....take 6 quarts of Royal Purple, Max Cycle 10W40 full premium synthetic for a 'road test' over 5,000 miles....no matter you live in Toronto, or Dallas....try it. You'll be one of the 'Bill' converted.... He was the first to come onto any forum with his observation that his SVTC runs, as I now describe mine, with a premium 10W40 running through its veins....and I absolutely, in observing my experience,...concur. He was 1,000 percent correct in that observation. You don't need to run any higher than a good quality synthetic 10W40, in the ceramic coated walled, 113 C.I. SVTC. Between the ceramic coated walls, the extra large fins, a very long oil travel in linear feet through an oil cooler to boot...and you are not running under the same conditions that a Harley or Indian engine oil, has to endure....nope. Yamaha was right...their 'cooling recipe' simply works as designed...no water needed. Mix some ceramic coated cylinder walls, add copious amounts of finning, finish off with x number of feet of oil line, running outside the engine. shedding heat through that run---> and an oil cooler on top of that....end result:--------->10W40, it is....:)

Better performance, engine and tranny, cooler running....says I'm not ever going to run a higher viscosity in either of my two bikes... :)

Joe

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I can't stand it...really can't...not participating on this Forum. I made a promise...but this one might have to be, er...renegotiated....(large smile).

So..in responding Crossbowme, I have seen a marked difference in left side rearward heat, from that to a low key, 'the engine is operating--warmth', when having run my SVTC in 85 plus F outside temps so far this year, in comparison to last year when I solely ran with either a 15W50, or a full 20W50. What I believe is happening, is that the 10W40 really can move at a faster clip around the many, many running feet of the oil pathway from holding tank, to finally back to the holding tank. Your hot oil (which IS an integral part of the cooling system besides the fins...) is seeing more time past the internal galleries of the Oil Cooler per mile run, the the oil pump works less to move it along, and along with the Synerlec Additive Package of the Royal Purple Max Cycle 10W40, there is less heat being generated for the oil and air fins to contend with. I feel no more heat, other than a light 'warmth' that anybody would feel with a massive running engine just ahead of their calves and upper thighs. My wife feels nothing from the engine or the left side of the rear cylinder. We are as comfortable as we were running our 2008 Goldwing.

Since running the oil I mention at the viscosity, there is much less internal noise coming from the 113, and where I once had a slight grrrrr...or howl, come from the tranny on really hot days, when starting off in 1rst gear running 15W50 and 20W50,...when we are in two-up (Kitchen Sink Touring Mode),...now, nothing...no stress sound from the transmission at all, let alone it's now effortless to move up or down through the six speed. Effortless...a slight shift pressure on my toe, and click...yep...click...to the higher or lower gear. LOVE IT!

Don't just try a 10W40. I am being specific here....take 6 quarts of Royal Purple, Max Cycle 10W40 full premium synthetic for a 'road test' over 5,000 miles....no matter you live in Toronto, or Dallas....try it. You'll be one of the 'Bill' converted.... He was the first to come onto any forum with his observation that his SVTC runs, as I now describe mine, with a premium 10W40 running through its veins....and I absolutely, in observing my experience,...concur. He was 1,000 percent correct in that observation. You don't need to run any higher than a good quality synthetic 10W40, in the ceramic coated walled, 113 C.I. SVTC. Between the ceramic coated walls, the extra large fins, a very long oil travel in linear feet through an oil cooler to boot...and you are not running under the same conditions that a Harley or Indian engine oil, has to endure....nope. Yamaha was right...their 'cooling recipe' simply works as designed...no water needed. Mix some ceramic coated cylinder walls, add copious amounts of finning, finish off with x number of feet of oil line, running outside the engine. shedding heat through that run---> and an oil cooler on top of that....end result:--------->10W40, it is..../forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Better performance, engine and tranny, cooler running....says I'm not ever going to run a higher viscosity in either of my two bikes... /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Joe
Wow! What a blessing to see you out here again! Don’t mean to rain in your parade it some proper exposure is needed. While I can see what you’re saying as far as flow rate of a 10w40 vs a 15w50 (like I’m running, I’ve been riding in temps of 94-98 already. These temps start to “cook” an oil with a lesser viscosity rating such as a 40 vs a 50 made for higher temps.
I’d also like to present the following video which also mentions that Royale Purple is not a “true” full synthetic but is a “blend”.
Was it not “Race Hill Farms” who was touting the NEED for a FULL SYNTHETIC? He was also saying Redline, not Royale Purple.
Here’s a great test video putting Royale Purple (a synthetic blend) vs Amzoil (true full synthetic).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zS8MyvJxU

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow! What a blessing to see you out here again! Don’t mean to rain in your parade it some proper exposure is needed. While I can see what you’re saying as far as flow rate of a 10w40 vs a 15w50 (like I’m running, I’ve been riding in temps of 94-98 already. These temps start to “cook” an oil with a lesser viscosity rating such as a 40 vs a 50 made for higher temps.
I’d also like to present the following video which also mentions that Royale Purple is not a “true” full synthetic but is a “blend”.
Was it not “Race Hill Farms” who was touting the NEED for a FULL SYNTHETIC? He was also saying Redline, not Royale Purple.
Here’s a great test video putting Royale Purple (a synthetic blend) vs Amzoil (true full synthetic).
Hi Tony! How are ya? Been following your exploits, and you and the missus, are having a blast. Good go! I saw her postings on the public Facebook SVTC site. She seems quite active there... :)

Tony...with watching your video example, I do believe that you came away with a few misconceptions, and I will go through them,

Firstly, Royal Purple Max Cycle (their targeted line of formulations, or as they call it, their 'blending', of a base pure ester synthetic with their proprietary additive package they call, SYNERLEC,) is absolutely a premium based full synthetic. R.P. does not make a semi-synthetic formulation (or blend, as they call formulation by other brands).

If you thought this dude was claiming that by reading the word 'blended' on the back of the 5W30 automotive 'formulation', then that is where you might have been misled. Had he stated it was a semi-synthetic...that being a 50 percent conventional and 50 percent synthetic base, he would have stated that. That is, simply not the case. I have bottles of the Max Cycle 'formulation/blend' at home, and it is a full synthetic, as is Amzoil or Redline. So, I needed to clear that up.

Also, this guy's test had no bearing on their line of targeted formulations for use in an air/oil cooling-solution, engine environment, which is in fact their MAX CYCLE synthetic line-up. That and only that is what my post was stating and recommending to try out. Not an automotive 5W30 as he was side testing.

As to your concerns that at an outside ambient temperature of 90 to 95 F, that a 10W40 oil, could 'cook'...rest easy...for that is not the case. This isn't Mazola, we are talking about, lol....and in fact, if you read the formulation 'or blend' data of their Max Cycle, the hotter the base gets, the more the molecules double down, and create a more dense lubricity base...and I suspect that they use a high volume parts per million of Ester, to accomplish that.

Now, the main thrust of my post, was not that one uses this or that branded, premium 10W40, or whether one uses my recommendation and the very oil I have based my observations on, while running through my crank and transmission casings....but that the 113 C.I. runs ***BETTER*** with anyone's premium brand, full synthetic 10W40, than with any higher viscosity of the user's choice in brands. Tony...I wanted to see if I could reproduce the observances that Bill posted, and ABSOLUTELY, I could...and DID! He was on the money...for my 113 C.I. is reams more quiet in mechanical operation, than when running 15W50, or 20W50 that I had used and experimented with, last Summer. There is absolutely no metric comparisons in the tranny's operation, in ease of shifting the forks...and they moving the gears to mesh. Night and day...in how much more easier, smooth, silky...and QUIET...is the tranny operation with 10W40 running through it.

That is the thrust of my post...but I had to clear up any misconceptions, that you might have inadvertently injected. R.P's entire formulation lineup, is premium synthetic based, and they ADD in, or as they choose the word 'blended in', as in their ad copy,...they then 'BLEND' in their additive Synerlec package into the 100 percent synthetic base oil. That is the only reference of the word: blend....and again, not a 50/50 convention/synthetic Semi-Synthetic oil product. Needed to clear that up, here. :)

Whether one uses what I am using, and can vouch for what great performance it brings to the table, or one might go with Redline...whatever....again, the MAIN POINT, of my post, was about running a premium (your choice) 10W40 viscosity, and not a thicker motility choice.

For myself, Tony...I am getting now such great results with R.P. MAX CYCLE 10W40...that I will now stay with that formulation...and continue to enjoy the now quiet, silky operation of the tranny, as well as a much cooler running in the twin cylinder heads. All is good!

Tony, I would never steer you, or anybody else wrong....and I will absolutely state the following...if you don't try a premium 10W40 full synthetic...you are truly going to lose out, on the same observances that both now, Bill and I, have, concering our 113's, and will continue to promote as the premium engine and tranny experience. I am fully now (from my own experience) on Bill's line of Scrimmage, lol.

BTW, what did you think about my other 'good news'....that it seems we Canucks are getting that sorry-butted update within the next two to four weeks. FINALLY! FINALLY! Hope something arrives at your end as well!!!

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hi Tony! How are ya? Been following your exploits, and you and the missus, are having a blast. Good go! I saw her postings on the public Facebook SVTC site. She seems quite active there... /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Tony...with watching your video example, I do believe that you came away with a few misconceptions, and I will go through them,

Firstly, Royal Purple Max Cycle (their targeted line of formulations, or as they call it, their 'blending', of a base pure ester synthetic with their proprietary additive package they call, SYNERLEC,) is absolutely a premium based full synthetic. R.P. does not make a semi-synthetic formulation (or blend, as they call formulation by other brands).

If you thought this dude was claiming that by reading the word 'blended' on the back of the 5W30 automotive 'formulation', then that is where you might have been misled. Had he stated it was a semi-synthetic...that being a 50 percent conventional and 50 percent synthetic base, he would have stated that. That is, simply not the case. I have bottles of the Max Cycle 'formulation/blend' at home, and it is a full synthetic, as is Amzoil or Redline. So, I needed to clear that up.

Also, this guy's test had no bearing on their line of targeted formulations for use in an air/oil cooling-solution, engine environment, which is in fact their MAX CYCLE synthetic line-up. That and only that is what my post was stating and recommending to try out. Not an automotive 5W30 as he was side testing.

As to your concerns that at an outside ambient temperature of 90 to 95 F, that a 10W40 oil, could 'cook'...rest easy...for that is not the case. This isn't Mazola, we are talking about, lol....and in fact, if you read the formulation 'or blend' data of their Max Cycle, the hotter the base gets, the more the molecules double down, and create a more dense lubricity base...and I suspect that they use a high volume parts per million of Ester, to accomplish that.

Now, the main thrust of my post, was not that one uses this or that branded, premium 10W40, or whether one uses my recommendation and the very oil I have based my observations on, while running through my crank and transmission casings....but that the 113 C.I. runs ***BETTER*** with anyone's premium brand, full synthetic 10W40, than with any higher viscosity of the user's choice in brands. Tony...I wanted to see if I could reproduce the observances that Bill posted, and ABSOLUTELY, I could...and DID! He was on the money...for my 113 C.I. is reams more quiet in mechanical operation, than when running 15W50, or 20W50 that I had used and experimented with, last Summer. There is absolutely no metric comparisons in the tranny's operation, in ease of shifting the forks...and they moving the gears to mesh. Night and day...in how much more easier, smooth, silky...and QUIET...is the tranny operation with 10W40 running through it.

That is the thrust of my post...but I had to clear up any misconceptions, that you might have inadvertently injected. R.P's entire formulation lineup, is premium synthetic based, and they ADD in, or as they choose the word 'blended in', as in their ad copy,...they then 'BLEND' in their additive Synerlec package into the 100 percent synthetic base oil. That is the only reference of the word: blend....and again, not a 50/50 convention/synthetic Semi-Synthetic oil product. Needed to clear that up, here. /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Whether one uses what I am using, and can vouch for what great performance it brings to the table, or one might go with Redline...whatever....again, the MAIN POINT, of my post, was about running a premium (your choice) 10W40 viscosity, and not a thicker motility choice.

For myself, Tony...I am getting now such great results with R.P. MAX CYCLE 10W40...that I will now stay with that formulation...and continue to enjoy the now quiet, silky operation of the tranny, as well as a much cooler running in the twin cylinder heads. All is good!

Tony, I would never steer you, or anybody else wrong....and I will absolutely state the following...if you don't try a premium 10W40 full synthetic...you are truly going to lose out, on the same observances that both now, Bill and I, have, concering our 113's, and will continue to promote as the premium engine and tranny experience. I am fully now (from my own experience) on Bill's line of Scrimmage, lol.

BTW, what did you think about my other 'good news'....that it seems we Canucks are getting that sorry-butted update within the next two to four weeks. FINALLY! FINALLY! Hope something arrives at your end as well!!!

Cheers,

Joe
Let m start by saying “valid points all around” on your part. I’ll definitely give that oil a try. Besides, I can see how a lower viscosity oil would shed the heat easier through the oil cooler.
Yes, the wife & I are having a BLAST on “Big Red”. The trailer has been getting quite the workout too! You can imagine the attention I get pulling up on the “full rig” 😁. My next “upgrade” is that I found MAGS for the trailer that match the SVTC rims!
Do us ALL a favor and re-negotiate with Dee Dee! I for one have missed you here.
Much to talk about so I’ll PM you.

Tony

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Let m start by saying “valid points all around” on your part. I’ll definitely give that oil a try. Besides, I can see how a lower viscosity oil would shed the heat easier through the oil cooler.
Yes, the wife & I are having a BLAST on “Big Red”. The trailer has been getting quite the workout too! You can imagine the attention I get pulling up on the “full rig” 😁. My next “upgrade” is that I found MAGS for the trailer that match the SVTC rims!
Do us ALL a favor and re-negotiate with Dee Dee! I for one have missed you here.
Much to talk about so I’ll PM you.

Tony
I missed posting too, sharing my road experience, etc...but I did make a promise. Yeah..I snuck onto here two days ago...because the two topics were so very important to me, to make known. The difference between running 10W40 through the 113, after having only used 15W50, or a full 20W50, was stunning beyond all belief. Before, running under the two higher viscosities you had to make a clean effort to move the tranny shifting forks up or down. As of the two thousand miles ago, that I swapped out the Yamaha 15W50 for R.P. Max Cycle 10W40...it's now an effort of click, click, click...and click....with the only 'mechanical' sound coming from the big 113, is the thrum of the OEM mufflers after maturing. At red-light idle...only that beautiful----->thrum, thrum, thrum....like the 113's heartbeat....just beautiful, man...beautiful!

Never again, going beyond a 10W40 synthetic premium formulation, for the life of both my bikes....nope. Spring, Summer, and Fall....and the last two thousand miles sitting above and behind the 113, have told me enough reasons why not to....

Max-Cycle is specifically formulated to exceed the demands of highly stressed engines and transmissions. It is recommended for use in both air-cooled and liquid-cooled 4-cycle engines and is compatible with wet-clutch transmissions. Formulated with select synthetic base oils and Royal Purple's proprietary Synerlec additive technology, Max-Cycle provides improved film strength when compared to the leading synthetic and mineral oil. Its shear stability and oxidation resistance promote greater performance and protection. Max-Cycle meets or exceeds API requirements and is rated JASO MA2, the highest wet clutch compatibility rating under the JASO T903:2011 Clutch Friction Test. Max-Cycle is compatible with other mineral and synthetic motor oils. No flushing is necessary prior to use.

Features:

Shear Stability And Oxidation Resistance Of Max-Cycle® Promote Greater Performance And Protection
Clean, Efficient Engines
Rust/Corrosion Protection
Increased Performance
Max-Cycle Provides Improved Film Strength When Compared To The Leading Synthetic And Mineral Oil
Max-Cycle Meets Or Exceeds API Requirements And Is Rated JASO MA2, The Highest Wet Clutch Compatibility Rating Under The JASO T903:2011 Clutch Friction Test
No Flushing Is Necessary Prior To Use

Specifications:

Use: 4-Stroke Engines
Type: Synthetic
Viscosity Grade: 10W-40

Joe
Talk to you later in PM.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Don't tell the wife, lol!

------

First, was at my dealer yesterday, and the shop tech, told me that he had spoken to a Yamaha Canada Rep, over another owner's SVTC request on last Thursday, and he was told by that rep, to expect a ***MAJOR*** software update release from Yamaha Canada, for the SVTC/Eluder software, most likely released within the next 14 days!

***THIS IS FOR the Canadian model...*** as our software is different from the USA software...as we don't have Pandora enabled on-screen, that service is not available in Canada.....it will be compatible for the 2020 model, as well as the 2018. If this will also be released for the American market, that I cannot say.

Secondly....about oil...yeah...about that....lol...

Bill/American/Whatever Farms, whatever (smile)------>was ***very much--->RIGHT*** regarding his theory, that the Star Venture/Eluder 113 C.I. engine ***DOES*** run much better, smoother, with quicker RPM uptake, silky-smooth and very light pressure to shift, transmission performance,----> with 10W40, rather than a heavier viscosity, 15W50, or 20W50. Bill...was absolutely, 'on the money'.

I am getting fabulous engine and operational smoothness/performance/transmission included, by the use of:

Royal Purple MAX CYCLE 10W40. I can say with the two thousand miles upon the oil....that it has given me the best transmission performance in shifting smoothness, no growl or howl while under two-up, kitchen-sink touring...and I shall be staying with this brand, and viscosity, further on, both for my 2018 SVTC and my 2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S 750 four. On the Kawa...instant throttle response and RPM climb....again, the same silky transmission toe-and-click for up and downshifts...as I have the same Royal Purple MAX CYCLE 10W40 in both rides now. I know that the brand, and viscosity index a user runs with is a most VERY personal choice...and you can lead a horse to water...but.....well, you can fill in the rest...BUT...with that all stated, I have never had such fabulous performance in ease of shifting of the transmission, quietness of the motor regarding internal workings, and in my opinion, this oil mentioned even eclipses a long time usage of Amzoil 10W40. Whatever proprietary additive packages (and levels parts per million) Royal Purple uses in their MAX CYCLE (premium full synthetic) 10W40 or 20W50....in my books...is a total winner, worthy of continued and long term vestige.

The above mentioned manufacturer, and oil viscosity will now replace what I had used before it...namely Yamaha's 15W50, My SVTC much prefers...(thank's Bill), a 10W40 viscosity, full premium synthetic.

If you take nothing else away from this...is that again (thanks Bill!) you only truly need to run no higher a viscosity in the SVTC 113 C.I., than 10W40. It flows faster and easier around the oil pathways...faster through the oil cooler and pathways,...and that alone translates to a cooler running engine and transmission. Oil gets to the parts needing immediate lubrication faster than running a thicker 20W50 product at start up, Summer, and/or Spring or Fall morning starts. Nuff said... :)
----------------------------------------------

Sorry to have read about Rob's dropping of his bike, on the parking lot incline....but very glad to read that both he and his wife didn't take a hard fall, other than some scrapes to the plastic underside of the bag touching the ground. Replace that...and good as new.

So...here's a glass to the coming (FINALLY!) software update, that as the rep told my dealer's shop tech...DOES and WILL address lacking elements in the Navigation system, and a refinement of operation to other parts of that which makes up the features of the software.

Cheers, and now...packing up for a ride on a glorious Saturday (SUNNY...no rain....no......RAIN!!!!!) morning all...get out there...put some miles on past the rear wheel...and as always...be safe...and most importantly----always ride...to RIDE AGAIN~!

Joe
Hey Joe,
I hope you are correct about the software update, hopefully the US will be getting it too. Interesting story on the hotel with the inclined parking lot... it caught on fire the night we stayed there. 11 PM and the fire alarm is wailing. Hotel is evacuated, we're standing in the parking lot in front of Lake Superior FREEZING (49 degrees) while the hotel is on fire. We ended up in a condo with another couple for the night. Memories made.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Joe,
I hope you are correct about the software update, hopefully the US will be getting it too. Interesting story on the hotel with the inclined parking lot... it caught on fire the night we stayed there. 11 PM and the fire alarm is wailing. Hotel is evacuated, we're standing in the parking lot in front of Lake Superior FREEZING (49 degrees) while the hotel is on fire. We ended up in a condo with another couple for the night. Memories made.
Hi Rob...well, it sure sounds to me, like the two of you had some really crazy 'Superior' moments, there! Geez...lol. Glad to read that other than chills 'n thrills, you two were ok, and your ride was ok, for the morning out of there!

We did the tour to Pictured Rocks, up on Superior last Summer...our older style motel court room had a really nice swing set on a grassy knoll behind it, but man oh man...MOSQUITOES!...so many, and so big, that what they didn't drain from you...four of them picked you up, and flew you to the nest...for later consumption! Needless to say, other than taking the tour boat out to the rock formations and such, we pretty much were black fly, and Mozzy, terrorized for the time spent there. From there, we headed up into Canada, and went along the eastern shore of Superior, northbound, to Wawa, Ontario...and thank goodness, no Messerschmidts dive bombing you there, with the shrill sound of the mozy's wings! THERE...we had our Superior moments...and could actually be outside, off the bike, and hike, or sit out on a patio, when having dinner, glass of wine in hand.

About my 'head's up'...it was of course, 'second hand' in that the Tech told me about his conversation...but I totally believe that finally the 'deal' is coming. The Tech asked the rep directly, in regards to another's SVTC navigation issues. Being that the 2020 is now available in the U.S., I don't see it NOT coming there, but I can see them before that, first using we Canucks as guinea pigs, to take reports of any Canadian SVTC and/or Eluder, starting to smoke from the Power Head, or outright blowing up...on the ignition being turned on, after the download...lol. I'll let you all know, ASAP, or you can just haunt the Yamaha Canada site, and see if and when it gets posted. That's where we Canuck'sters would download it from....

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi Rob...well, it sure sounds to me, like the two of you had some really crazy 'Superior' moments, there! Geez...lol. Glad to read that other than chills 'n thrills, you two were ok, and your ride was ok, for the morning out of there!

We did the tour to Pictured Rocks, up on Superior last Summer...our older style motel court room had a really nice swing set on a grassy knoll behind it, but man oh man...MOSQUITOES!...so many, and so big, that what they didn't drain from you...four of them picked you up, and flew you to the nest...for later consumption! Needless to say, other than taking the tour boat out to the rock formations and such, we pretty much were black fly, and Mozzy, terrorized for the time spent there. From there, we headed up into Canada, and went along the eastern shore of Superior, northbound, to Wawa, Ontario...and thank goodness, no Messerschmidts dive bombing you there, with the shrill sound of the mozy's wings! THERE...we had our Superior moments...and could actually be outside, off the bike, and hike, or sit out on a patio, when having dinner, glass of wine in hand.

About my 'head's up'...it was of course, 'second hand' in that the Tech told me about his conversation...but I totally believe that finally the 'deal' is coming. The Tech asked the rep directly, in regards to another's SVTC navigation issues. Being that the 2020 is now available in the U.S., I don't see it NOT coming there, but I can see them before that, first using we Canucks as guinea pigs, to take reports of any Canadian SVTC and/or Eluder, starting to smoke from the Power Head, or outright blowing up...on the ignition being turned on, after the download...lol. I'll let you all know, ASAP, or you can just haunt the Yamaha Canada site, and see if and when it gets posted. That's where we Canuck'sters would download it from....

Cheers,

Joe
We did the southern shore 2 years ago. One of our stops was Whitefish Bay, We looked at the shipwreck museum, the bell of the Edmund Fitzgerald and started to walk a trail... Mosquitoes swarmed, the worst I have ever seen. They had us literally running back to the bike.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for this post.
Is it safe to assume that the bike came in the crate with 20-50? And would YamaStar have used a conventional or a full synthetic? My dealer suggested it was a conventional, and that I should wait at least 2000 miles before going synthetic. As I have just over 300 miles on the bike, I am thinking about a quick swap with a general brand, (no filter) until I do the 600mile service, and get an early start on those benefits you mention....like the heat!

·
Registered
448 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to wait to change over to synthetic. The bike came with conventional oil and I continue to run conventional oil in mne. I change every 4k and the oil still has its golden tint when it drains.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I drained the factory oil at 550 miles. I had warmed it up and it ran out of the engine like it was water. I am pretty sure it was a 40 weight oil. I installed Amsoil 10w-40 at that point. No problems as this engine has never used any oil. This is the same procedure I have used on all 3 of my yamaha's. An 84 Royale an 2007 RSV and now this one. None of them used any oil. I ran the 84 to 120,000 miles and the 2007 122,000 miles. I won't worry about putting synthetic in now as many engines now come with synthetic from the factory. It could have been synthetic that Yamaha original installed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yaowzaaa! ParExcellence, you are on to something here! I'm a snake oil skeptic, so I was not expecting the results I got... All I did was to drain the main tank, (3qts +plus a tad), and added 10w-40. Fired it up and less than two miles from the house, it was like I was on a different bike! So not all the tranny whine disappeared, but aside from slow speed throttle backs, it's gone. The shifting was smoother; the engine purred - chatter gone.... That's do til I go to the full 10w-40 at the 600 mile service.
Thank you!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for this post.
Is it safe to assume that the bike came in the crate with 20-50? And would YamaStar have used a conventional or a full synthetic? My dealer suggested it was a conventional, and that I should wait at least 2000 miles before going synthetic. As I have just over 300 miles on the bike, I am thinking about a quick swap with a general brand, (no filter) until I do the 600mile service, and get an early start on those benefits you mention....like the heat!
All crated SVTC's SV's and Eluder's come with Yamalube mineral 10W40. Da's all...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yaowzaaa! ParExcellence, you are on to something here! I'm a snake oil skeptic, so I was not expecting the results I got... All I did was to drain the main tank, (3qts +plus a tad), and added 10w-40. Fired it up and less than two miles from the house, it was like I was on a different bike! So not all the tranny whine disappeared, but aside from slow speed throttle backs, it's gone. The shifting was smoother; the engine purred - chatter gone.... That's do til I go to the full 10w-40 at the 600 mile service.
Thank you!
You do know that the bike COMES with 10W40 Yamalube mineral, right? What I noted, was this...after I drained my original Yamalube 10W40, I went with their full synthetic 15W50. In doing that, I ended up with some tranny 'growl' when first taking off, or the tranny was revving low, but my throttle input was 'healthy'.

When I switched out to Royal Purple Max Cycle 10W40, all tranny noise vanished, and shifting the forks...was an easy up or down tap, or heel press (I have the heel and toe). Also, the top end, as well as the area around the cam's went very quiet. I'm sold on the brand and a full synthetic 10W40, and won't go beyond that weight. It has been almost 97 F over the last few days...and not one complaint from the engine...in difference of noise level, quality of idle...so that throws you need a 20W50, for hot weather running environments, out the window!

But truly, it all comes down to what makes the READER/RIDER, comfortable, pumping through the 113....

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did not know that, but I am certain this is not just a case of " my ears think my bike goes faster with louder pipes."
It's been hot here, too...
On a ride with my son later in the day, I continued to be impressed with the difference in sounds coming from the engine. My bike sat in a crate for two years - 0.0 miles on the odometer. I do not know enough about oil to understand if that has any significant impact.
Regardless, I'm glad your post caused me to swap out most of the original oil.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I did not know that, but I am certain this is not just a case of " my ears think my bike goes faster with louder pipes."
It's been hot here, too...
On a ride with my son later in the day, I continued to be impressed with the difference in sounds coming from the engine. My bike sat in a crate for two years - 0.0 miles on the odometer. I do not know enough about oil to understand if that has any significant impact.
Regardless, I'm glad your post caused me to swap out most of the original oil.
Well, if you trust me a little further...go out and buy exactly the brand; Royal Purple MAX-CYCLE 10W40....give time for your oil to drain from the three oil drain plugs and the oil filter moon housing...and then fill each required site with the exact amount it requires. Go out for a ride...and you will simply be amazed...quiet...silky transmission, and the engine way more cool, coming from the heads, and the outflow from the rear exhaust header...

The product, is simply amazing... Try it on your next oil change, and then comment post ride...I'll bet you, that you mirror my experience with it. As for myself...I have 'found' my SVTC 10W40 premium synthetic oil. What they claim in their 'hype'...changes to reality, with the first installation. The 'hype' turns out to be nothing of the kind...:) The formulation of this synthetic almost acts like water jackets....on my ride:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ordered the 6-pack online - with free shipping, it's a several dollars cheaper than what a local (Irish) store will charge...after they order it....no one has it in stock....The blue and gold, national auto parts assoc., carries it for $8 more than the online vendors.... Not certain it's "in-stock" they are closed today.... I will say, however, that their drain plug crush-washers are significantly cheaper than Yamaha's...., and if you're like me and feel better about a new one each time, buying them by the box at the blue and gold is like buying two washers at my dealer's store...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I ordered the 6-pack online - with free shipping, it's a several dollars cheaper than what a local (Irish) store will charge...after they order it....no one has it in stock....The blue and gold, national auto parts assoc., carries it for $8 more than the online vendors.... Not certain it's "in-stock" they are closed today.... I will say, however, that their drain plug crush-washers are significantly cheaper than Yamaha's...., and if you're like me and feel better about a new one each time, buying them by the box at the blue and gold is like buying two washers at my dealer's store...
Up here, in Ontario, I get the R.P. Max Cycle 10W40, for on average (unless on sale) at Canadian Tire for around $18.90 a quart. When it's on sale, I will grab around 3 complete oil changes ahead of the current one, to save some money. I always look at the crush washer for burs, and if not..I get usually two oil changes out of a set. I also buy in bulk. Same for the OEM oil filter. I use to use the Walmart name-brand filter on my 2000 and 2008 Goldwing...(it had a good break-down comparison rating) but on the SVTC,...I want no trouble in off-brands...so I will keep Yamaha OEM for the oil filter. Oil flow on this engine, is critical, and I want to know that the OEM Oil Filter by-pass valve plays ***nice*** in the 'sandbox'....:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts