Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Hey there Joe, don’t know if you’re still LURKING here but I thought I’d mention something. I just did an oil change the other day and decided to give Redline 10w-40 a try.
I went in a 350 mile ride afterwards.
, and maybe it’s me but I’m not noticing a huge difference. If the shifting is smoother, it seems almost imperceptible. I do notice an ever so slight increase in neutral rom respond when revving. Possibly due to better oil flow and less friction. Who knows. I’m lookin t for something definitive to justify the exorbitant costs of this oil.
$15 a qt and that was on sale from $18.99 a qt!
Can’t really comment yet in any heat reduction because the day of my ride it was only moderately warm at 84 degrees.
I’ll keep you apprised.
Ride safe my brother!

El Jeffe de Pistola! 😁

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hey there Joe, don’t know if you’re still LURKING here but I thought I’d mention something. I just did an oil change the other day and decided to give Redline 10w-40 a try.
, and maybe it’s me but I’m not noticing a huge difference. If the shifting is smoother, it seems almost imperceptible. I do notice an ever so slight increase in neutral rom respond when revving. Possibly due to better oil flow and less friction. Who knows. I’m lookin t for something definitive to justify the exorbitant costs of this oil.
Can’t really comment yet in any heat reduction because the day of my ride it was only moderately warm at 84 degrees.
I’ll keep you apprised.
Ride safe my brother!

El Jeffe de Pistola! 😁
Hey, there Mr. El Jeffe De Pistola! LOL...great handle...

Still pop in when I can, ....and saw your post. You say you put in Redline. I put in Royal Purple Max-Cycle 10W40, and my comments were strictly with that brand and blend.

I noticed on the ride, very quick RPM ramp up, heat off the left rear side has all by dissipated at summer riding temps, very smooth idle, about the same MPG across all speed ranges (which was always spectacular!), and I can absolutely attest that their claim that their oil brings down internal temperatures, by my and my wife's left-calf 'heat meters' is absolute. For myself, I am staying with this brand, and up here in Ontario, Canada, it cost at Canadian Tire, about and around, $18.00 a quart. Tony, it is...what it is...but for the price of what my SVTC cost me...I consider it a worthy 'engine life's blood' investment. BTW I did a 'blind side' test using my wife's left calf...after I did my first R.P. Max Cycle 10W40 oil change...and we were both riding....I asked my wife if she felt any difference in regards to ANY heat coming back to her off the left side. She said that 'something' was different...much cooler...but with the caveat that she never felt any uncomfortable heat anyway. But..she did note the the bike seems to be now as cool 'back there' as our 2008 Wing was. So...her calf-meter rang in cooler ambiance temperateness at your co-rider position.

I have around 5 thousand miles on the oil...and will run it to 7,000 and change out. That is about 4,000 miles more than I would have with straight mineral...so mitigates the $18.00 cost per quart.

I suggest, the next time you swap out...try my specific brand and viscosity, and see how that goes...

BTW, I will now say, other than still waiting for a meaningful GPS and PowerHead feature update, or grooming, this has been the best motorcycle purchasing investment ever...and equal to my purchase in 1973, of my first production year, Kawasaki, 900cc Z1. What I am writing about, is the total 'involvement package'...the emotional tie to the bike and its ride. Total satisfaction, melding of body sensations to the bike...I got that with my Kawa Z1...and now, it is back in full force. BTW, if there will be another new bike purchase, it WILL BE...another large capacity, big bore, V-Twin...the engine layout is so just dam* exciting to ride...and had I known that, even 30 years ago...probably would have been a V-Twin Groupie from then on. Honestly though...with the way my 2018 SVTC has been running since new...(never had the mechanical issues that has been reported by some) and the way I choose to take care of my bike, mechanically as well as appearance...I doubt this will be replaced in my continuing lifetime. I can't see them (Yamaha) adding anything more in the way of tech, to what I already have, other than it being mere tech-fluff, and greater torque or power? Nah...nope...don't need any more...this bike loaded out to full cargo capacity, with two 'healthy' weight adults aboard...runs up mountain ranges at 70 on cruise, without a sweat. I don't need any more motive power than what the big 113 already has on tap. So...nothing really to want me to lay down more cash, lol. The bike is my favorite color...so even there...no motivation to 'change up'. I have decided to stay with the stock pipes...in that they amply let me hear the grunt and growl from the engine...BUT...and so very important...the decibel of sound does ***NOT*** interfere with the fabulous sound system, or inter-rider communication, or causes any rider fatigue over time. They sound great...have great comments from other riders as I come into a Tim's, resturant, or bar....and I think in running the bike over thousands of miles...that Yamaha did a magnificent job in letting that motor be heard....BUT...not to interfere with any other feature (tech) of the ride inside the cockpit bubble.

Tony...I love this bike! We just came back from an August long weekend in riding around the Glen Arbor area of the Leelanau Peninsula...visited the Cherry Nation store and bought a whole load of the fabulous Pub Mix...and we had a blast...also sipping Oberon Beer, and munching down on good burgers at the restaurant in town.

Tony...THIS is what this bike is designed for...eating up the beautiful tour miles effortlessly....in total comfort and luxury...until 'u' get to where you're going....

In September...heading back (myself only) to Nova Scotia, for three weeks, to take in the lower eastern coast that we did not get to see as a couple.....for we had focused on the western coast (Bay of Fundy...Digsby) and then went straight up the spine towards the Cabot Trail. For myself...this time...reflective, non hurried, taking in of all the light houses, the waves breaking on the rocks...playing piano, or guitar with the locals....in the pubs...and a great trip to start the down tuning of the riding season. In October, my wife climbs aboard, and we are going down to Nashville for some 'rowdy' time...camping with our three-person tent, and associated motorcycle camping gear. That will be a great trip , and the main-event end of the riding season for us. We ride pretty much into late November, before I put my bikes to sleep...so, still many other adventures within this current season! But those two aforementioned, are the end-of-season big events, lol!~

Joe

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I’ll keep you apprised.
Ride safe my brother!

El Jeffe de Pistola! 😁
Hey, there Mr. El Jeffe De Pistola! LOL...great handle...

Still pop in when I can, ....and saw your post. You say you put in Redline. I put in Royal Purple Max-Cycle 10W40, and my comments were strictly with that brand and blend.

I noticed on the ride, very quick RPM ramp up, heat off the left rear side has all by dissipated at summer riding temps, very smooth idle, about the same MPG across all speed ranges (which was always spectacular!), and I can absolutely attest that their claim that their oil brings down internal temperatures, by my and my wife's left-calf 'heat meters' is absolute. For myself, I am staying with this brand, and up here in Ontario, Canada, it cost at Canadian Tire, about and around, $18.00 a quart. Tony, it is...what it is...but for the price of what my SVTC cost me...I consider it a worthy 'engine life's blood' investment. BTW I did a 'blind side' test using my wife's left calf...after I did my first R.P. Max Cycle 10W40 oil change...and we were both riding....I asked my wife if she felt any difference in regards to ANY heat coming back to her off the left side. She said that 'something' was different...much cooler...but with the caveat that she never felt any uncomfortable heat anyway. But..she did note the the bike seems to be now as cool 'back there' as our 2008 Wing was. So...her calf-meter rang in cooler ambiance temperateness at your co-rider position.

I have around 5 thousand miles on the oil...and will run it to 7,000 and change out. That is about 4,000 miles more than I would have with straight mineral...so mitigates the $18.00 cost per quart.

I suggest, the next time you swap out...try my specific brand and viscosity, and see how that goes...

BTW, I will now say, other than still waiting for a meaningful GPS and PowerHead feature update, or grooming, this has been the best motorcycle purchasing investment ever...and equal to my purchase in 1973, of my first production year, Kawasaki, 900cc Z1. What I am writing about, is the total 'involvement package'...the emotional tie to the bike and its ride. Total satisfaction, melding of body sensations to the bike...I got that with my Kawa Z1...and now, it is back in full force. BTW, if there will be another new bike purchase, it WILL BE...another large capacity, big bore, V-Twin...the engine layout is so just dam* exciting to ride...and had I known that, even 30 years ago...probably would have been a V-Twin Groupie from then on. Honestly though...with the way my 2018 SVTC has been running since new...(never had the mechanical issues that has been reported by some) and the way I choose to take care of my bike, mechanically as well as appearance...I doubt this will be replaced in my continuing lifetime. I can't see them (Yamaha) adding anything more in the way of tech, to what I already have, other than it being mere tech-fluff, and greater torque or power? Nah...nope...don't need any more...this bike loaded out to full cargo capacity, with two 'healthy' weight adults aboard...runs up mountain ranges at 70 on cruise, without a sweat. I don't need any more motive power than what the big 113 already has on tap. So...nothing really to want me to lay down more cash, lol. The bike is my favorite color...so even there...no motivation to 'change up'. I have decided to stay with the stock pipes...in that they amply let me hear the grunt and growl from the engine...BUT...and so very important...the decibel of sound does ***NOT*** interfere with the fabulous sound system, or inter-rider communication, or causes any rider fatigue over time. They sound great...have great comments from other riders as I come into a Tim's, resturant, or bar....and I think in running the bike over thousands of miles...that Yamaha did a magnificent job in letting that motor be heard....BUT...not to interfere with any other feature (tech) of the ride inside the cockpit bubble.

Tony...I love this bike! We just came back from an August long weekend in riding around the Glen Arbor area of the Leelanau Peninsula...visited the Cherry Nation store and bought a whole load of the fabulous Pub Mix...and we had a blast...also sipping Oberon Beer, and munching down on good burgers at the restaurant in town.

Tony...THIS is what this bike is designed for...eating up the beautiful tour miles effortlessly....in total comfort and luxury...until 'u' get to where you're going....

In September...heading back (myself only) to Nova Scotia, for three weeks, to take in the lower eastern coast that we did not get to see as a couple.....for we had focused on the western coast (Bay of Fundy...Digsby) and then went straight up the spine towards the Cabot Trail. For myself...this time...reflective, non hurried, taking in of all the light houses, the waves breaking on the rocks...playing piano, or guitar with the locals....in the pubs...and a great trip to start the down tuning of the riding season. In October, my wife climbs aboard, and we are going down to Nashville for some 'rowdy' time...camping with our three-person tent, and associated motorcycle camping gear. That will be a great trip , and the main-event end of the riding season for us. We ride pretty much into late November, before I put my bikes to sleep...so, still many other adventures within this current season! But those two aforementioned, are the end-of-season big events, lol!~

Joe
Hello there Joe!
Good to see you if only once in a while.
My baby has been running GREAT! Got over 30k miles on her.
I’ve had no navigation system problems except for the 10 waypoint limit, but there are work around a for that.
I noticed you’re doing oil change every 8k. Is that going to affect any warranty claim if your records don’t show you keeping their 4K mile periodicity?
I don’t remember seeing any deviation allowed for full synthetic or high mileage lubricants.

As far as “El Jeffe de Pistola” , one of the guys in the forum gave me that. Actually it’s just Chief Gunner in Spanish. 😁
I kinda like it!
Glad to hear you guys are getting in MUCH riding enjoyment. I imagine you’re still getting the gawkers and interested asking you about the bike. Still carrying those pamphlets around? 😁

When you come down to Nashville, give me a shout. Would love to ride out and meet up with you!

Peace out brother!

El Jeffe de Pistola

·
Registered
445 Posts
Don't tell the wife, lol!

------

First, was at my dealer yesterday, and the shop tech, told me that he had spoken to a Yamaha Canada Rep, over another owner's SVTC request on last Thursday, and he was told by that rep, to expect a ***MAJOR*** software update release from Yamaha Canada, for the SVTC/Eluder software, most likely released within the next 14 days!

***THIS IS FOR the Canadian model...*** as our software is different from the USA software...as we don't have Pandora enabled on-screen, that service is not available in Canada.....it will be compatible for the 2020 model, as well as the 2018. If this will also be released for the American market, that I cannot say.

Secondly....about oil...yeah...about that....lol...

Bill/American/Whatever Farms, whatever (smile)------>was ***very much--->RIGHT*** regarding his theory, that the Star Venture/Eluder 113 C.I. engine ***DOES*** run much better, smoother, with quicker RPM uptake, silky-smooth and very light pressure to shift, transmission performance,----> with 10W40, rather than a heavier viscosity, 15W50, or 20W50. Bill...was absolutely, 'on the money'.

I am getting fabulous engine and operational smoothness/performance/transmission included, by the use of:

Royal Purple MAX CYCLE 10W40. I can say with the two thousand miles upon the oil....that it has given me the best transmission performance in shifting smoothness, no growl or howl while under two-up, kitchen-sink touring...and I shall be staying with this brand, and viscosity, further on, both for my 2018 SVTC and my 2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S 750 four. On the Kawa...instant throttle response and RPM climb....again, the same silky transmission toe-and-click for up and downshifts...as I have the same Royal Purple MAX CYCLE 10W40 in both rides now. I know that the brand, and viscosity index a user runs with is a most VERY personal choice...and you can lead a horse to water...but.....well, you can fill in the rest...BUT...with that all stated, I have never had such fabulous performance in ease of shifting of the transmission, quietness of the motor regarding internal workings, and in my opinion, this oil mentioned even eclipses a long time usage of Amzoil 10W40. Whatever proprietary additive packages (and levels parts per million) Royal Purple uses in their MAX CYCLE (premium full synthetic) 10W40 or 20W50....in my books...is a total winner, worthy of continued and long term vestige.

The above mentioned manufacturer, and oil viscosity will now replace what I had used before it...namely Yamaha's 15W50, My SVTC much prefers...(thank's Bill), a 10W40 viscosity, full premium synthetic.

If you take nothing else away from this...is that again (thanks Bill!) you only truly need to run no higher a viscosity in the SVTC 113 C.I., than 10W40. It flows faster and easier around the oil pathways...faster through the oil cooler and pathways,...and that alone translates to a cooler running engine and transmission. Oil gets to the parts needing immediate lubrication faster than running a thicker 20W50 product at start up, Summer, and/or Spring or Fall morning starts. Nuff said... :)
----------------------------------------------

Sorry to have read about Rob's dropping of his bike, on the parking lot incline....but very glad to read that both he and his wife didn't take a hard fall, other than some scrapes to the plastic underside of the bag touching the ground. Replace that...and good as new.

So...here's a glass to the coming (FINALLY!) software update, that as the rep told my dealer's shop tech...DOES and WILL address lacking elements in the Navigation system, and a refinement of operation to other parts of that which makes up the features of the software.

Cheers, and now...packing up for a ride on a glorious Saturday (SUNNY...no rain....no......RAIN!!!!!) morning all...get out there...put some miles on past the rear wheel...and as always...be safe...and most importantly----always ride...to RIDE AGAIN~!

Joe
Hey Joe I took your advice and went with the royal purple 10/40. This was my first oil change on this bike, normally I bring it in for the shop to do but this time I wanted to change the oil for myself cause I didn't want the dealer to do it for too many reason to list. With that stated I changed out the filter with this oil change but I need to ask how much oil do you actually end up putting in with a full drain and replaced oil filter. I have a full 6 quarts in it and had a few issues with the oil to register on the stick. It never registered until after I took it for a short ride and then it was or seemed a little full. The next day I did the recommended oil check. I started the bike idle 5 minutes and then turned off and waited about 5 minutes and checked the oil, level bike, took out the dip stick, wiped clean then inserted it Without screwing it in and the level was halfway up the stick but I have 6 quarts of oil and was expecting more but wasn't. So I took the bike for a longer ride and then let it sit for about an hour and check the oil and the level was past the top of the hast marks. So is 6 quarts too much, I have posted many inquiries about checking the oil but never did I change my own oil, I follow the recommended oil fill procedures and correct amount in crank and fill tank and the results show nothing on the stick until after a short ride. Odd so odd.
Let me know if my results are inaccurate.
Rich....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hey Joe I took your advice and went with the royal purple 10/40. This was my first oil change on this bike, normally I bring it in for the shop to do but this time I wanted to change the oil for myself cause I didn't want the dealer to do it for too many reason to list. With that stated I changed out the filter with this oil change but I need to ask how much oil do you actually end up putting in with a full drain and replaced oil filter. I have a full 6 quarts in it and had a few issues with the oil to register on the stick. It never registered until after I took it for a short ride and then it was or seemed a little full. The next day I did the recommended oil check. I started the bike idle 5 minutes and then turned off and waited about 5 minutes and checked the oil, level bike, took out the dip stick, wiped clean then inserted it Without screwing it in and the level was halfway up the stick but I have 6 quarts of oil and was expecting more but wasn't. So I took the bike for a longer ride and then let it sit for about an hour and check the oil and the level was past the top of the hast marks. So is 6 quarts too much, I have posted many inquiries about checking the oil but never did I change my own oil, I follow the recommended oil fill procedures and correct amount in crank and fill tank and the results show nothing on the stick until after a short ride. Odd so odd.
Let me know if my results are inaccurate.
Rich....
With a filter change it takes 2.4 qts in the crankcase and 3.2 in the tank. You are .6 qt to full.

·
Registered
445 Posts
With a filter change it takes 2.4 qts in the crankcase and 3.2 in the tank. You are .6 qt to full.
Thanks BuckFan11 for providing the extra input.
Another question what concern is it that I only put 2 quarts in the crankcase and not 2.4
Update: actually it is .4 over. So Should I remove the .4 plus another .4 and then add .4 to the crankcase or does it matter?
Rich.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Thanks BuckFan11 for providing the extra input.
Another question what concern is it that I only put 2 quarts in the crankcase and not 2.4
Should I remove the .6 plus another .4 and then add .4 to the crankcase or does it matter?
Rich.
Hey rich, I think we discussed this but overfilling the tank with a little extra is not as critical as getting the crankcase correct. It IS 2.4 qts in the crankcase. No more, no less.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey rich, I think we discussed this but overfilling the tank with a little extra is not as critical as getting the crankcase correct. It IS 2.4 qts in the crankcase. No more, no less.
Ya I was wondering what is critical about it since the owners manual states 2 in the crankcase and 3.2 in the fill and then says add extra if the oil filter was replace. So I am guessing that the 2.4 in the crank is from the service manual? I don t have the service manual yet. Anyway what is the concern that I only placed 2 in the crank.
Also should I remove the .4 that I am over and then another .4 and place it in the crank, this way I will be 2.4 in the crank as stated and then it will leave 3.2 in the fill.
Rich....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ya I was wondering what is critical about it since the owners manual states 2 in the crankcase and 3.2 in the fill and then says add extra if the oil filter was replace. So I am guessing that the 2.4 in the crank is from the service manual? I don t have the service manual yet. Anyway what is the concern that I only placed 2 in the crank.
Also should I remove the .4 that I am over and then another .4 and place it in the crank, this way I will be 2.4 in the crank as stated and then it will leave 3.2 in the fill.
Rich....
If you put 6 qts in, you should remove .4 qt. I don't think that is enough extra oil to cause any damage but it's east to remove. You can remove it from your tank. It auto levels after a few minutes. I would drain the tank until oil shows full on dip stick and ride!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Rich....
If you put 6 qts in, you should remove .4 qt. I don't think that is enough extra oil to cause any damage but it's east to remove. You can remove it from your tank. It auto levels after a few minutes. I would drain the tank until oil shows full on dip stick and ride!
Thanks again Buckfan11. I actually redid the oil change and have no reading on the stick. Checking while filling shows nothing and letting it idle to warm up and then checking still nothing. But after a short ride let it sit for a few minutes and level is about 3/4 up the stick. So I hope this is right.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Rich....
Thanks again Buckfan11. I actually redid the oil change and have no reading on the stick. Checking while filling shows nothing and letting it idle to warm up and then checking still nothing. But after a short ride let it sit for a few minutes and level is about 3/4 up the stick. So I hope this is right.
You’re fine Rich. Just enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have changed oil a couple of times. I only put 2 quarts in the crankcase and the rest in the tank. I also put a little in the filter. Run the bike and check. It is spot on. This system is somewhat self leveling so as long as your close to the amounts in the book I believe your good to go.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have changed oil a couple of times. I only put 2 quarts in the crankcase and the rest in the tank. I also put a little in the filter. Run the bike and check. It is spot on. This system is somewhat self leveling so as long as your close to the amounts in the book I believe your good to go.
Thanks sdunker. When you mention run the bike do you mean take it for a ride or run and rev the throttle then check?
The reason I ask is that I get my best reading after a short ride and let it sit for a few minutes then check.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts