Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need to blow some steam! For the other lady riders on here maybe they will understand.

I decided to force myself to get a full face helmet. I hate the way they feel since I am Claustrophobic and I have been wearing a 1/2 helmet for the past five years. I made the decision for a few reasons. I am a new rider and for the warmth. We are getting ready for a 10 hour each way ride in a month and the weather could be chilly.

Anyway so I went and tried on helmets and found one I like and that fits me. They only had an XL so they were going to check stores for me. It has been two days so I called back after I checked their website and it was not listed. So apparently the helmet is discontinued I checked for in stock all over California. No Luck. So I decided to go to a different store tonight. Found another helmet I liked but all they had was XL on the floor. I asked and he said that one is no available anymore either. So I looked at the other ones and lots of L and XL, XS but no Med.

It is so hard to find female friendly riding gear that is not just for looks but for riding as well. Is this just a sign to keep with my 1/2 helmet???? I figure if I am going to go through the trouble of wearing a full face it should have bright colors so cages can see me since my jacket and chaps are black. I also dont want to look like a boy (even with my pigtails coming out the back).

So if anyone has the Seven Zero Seven Bad Betty Vendetta helmet the want to sell in new condition let me know.:D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That's a drag but for what it's worth the full face helmet will probably see more closet time then it will see riding time. I say this is because my wife rides and she bought a nice full face helmet and it sits in the garage collecting dust. She wears her half helmet all the time and when it cools off she puts on a neck sock that she pulls up over her face. Works for Washington state and it gets cold at times. Just a thought I hate to any body avoid safety.

·
Registered
545 Posts
When I got my first bike, I bought a modular helmet (Seven Zero Seven as well), and also ordered a cool half helmet I saw on Leatherup.com.

Guess which one I wear. Hint: see hdeater's post.

Leatherup.com might be the answer for you, though. I originally bought a Med even though I always wear a Large just based on the sizing chart on the website, but when I got the Medium, it was too small. I should've gone with my instincts.

Returns are no problem though, so now I have the same helmet in Large and all is well.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is exactly why I havent bought one. I do exactly what she does but I have also always had the protection of my boyfriend in front of me blocking the wind. I keep telling him I am afraid of waisting the $200+. He said worst case it collects dust like his in the garage and best case I use it in the winter.

The instructor at my MSF gave me so much grief for my 1/2 helmet that it got in my head a little. The part that I love about riding is what I love about hiking the smells the temprature changes and I am afraid I will lose that with a full face.

By the way I love your wife's bike. I thought I was going to get a white bike until I fell in love with mine.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Cycle Gear.com seems to have them in your size too.

Cool helmet....! (Well, for you.....not for me. :D )

·
Registered
545 Posts
When I do use my full face, I ride with the shield up most of the time, and the wind noise is next to nothing, so there are advantages. And it is the "smart" thing to do.

That said, everything you said is the reason I usually reach for the smaller one......

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cycle Gear is where I tried them on. They have the Vendetta the pink and white one but it is a different style the the bad betty. The one they have is a differnt series and it actually did not fit my head. Thanks for looking though. I bet I could find one at the rally worst case.

The guy at cycle gear told me to sit on my couch with it on to get used to it. We are heading to Santa Barbara for a practice ride before Reno so I was hoping to try it out on that ride. We plan on hitting Hearst Castle and I hear the fog can roll in along the shore.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yeah, you should probably have a full-face for a ride like that.

When I got my 707, it was a little tight on my jaw. The guy said to stick a football in it for a couple days. Worked great.....they do adjust a bit.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
if you're just looking for warmth and not necessarily the extra protection, i would recommend getting a neoprene mask. a LOT cheaper than a helmet. i use one in the winter and it does a great job of keeping my face warm, and it has a nose hole so you can find one like that where you can still smell just fine.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hmm if you are getting a helmet for rare occasions or if you care about cost most walmarts sell FUEL helmets, it is what i wear and it is ok enough and only cost like 75. And DOT of course.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
A neoprene mask is always with me, either on my face or in one of the saddlebags.
I use it when I have only the half helemt and I get caught in the rain. For the cold (I'm talking New England cold) sometimes, I'll add the neoprene mask under my full face SHOEI RF-1000. But long trips that most likely will involve highway/freeway travel, it's full face regardless of the temperature. Short or long sprints at or near triple digit speeds is much more enjoyable with a full face.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
Short or long sprints at or near triple digit speeds is much more enjoyable with a full face.
I can see where you'd say that, you poor guy

...although the odds of you ever nearing triple digit speed on your blue anchor are somewhere between

and

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Springer that is great! :D

So I ended up getting the new Scorpion helmet. They didnt have a girly one that I liked so I ended up getting one that matches my bike. I could not try the helmet on after going to three stores so hopefully when it comes in on the 8th or so it will be a good fit. If not we are right back where we started. We also ended up getting the communication system for our 450 mile ride this weekend. We want to try them out before our long 12 hour ride each way at the end of the month. I will let you guys know how those work out as well.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Now you went and done it newbie, springer's hat size will be so big now he'll have to go get a new helmet at his favorite Lane Bryant.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
he'll have to go get a new helmet at his favorite Lane Bryant.

I tried; couldn't find a thing:(

But....I bought this for you to match your ride...

I was worried about the brim, then I remembered it was all about your sedate blue bike so there won't be enough relative wind to disturb the hat. That's a plus: you won't have to fasten the chin ties either...:D:D:D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sheesh.....and I get ragged on for joshing Yankee fans.

Great helmet, newbie. Can't go wrong with the red, white and blue. Now it's time for a picture of your bike, if you please.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts