Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna like em because I love new technology and all but I have a hard time buying into all the hype the ads try and build around em. I mean they can't be anything like the real deal 2 wheel feel. Right?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have never rode one, but I've looked at them. (just today actually)
I'm thinking to myself, there's a great vehicle for a cross country trip. Then I look at the price and see it costs more than my car, which makes me think my car is a great vehicle for a cross country trip!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have never rode one, but I've looked at them. (just today actually)
I'm thinking to myself, there's a great vehicle for a cross country trip. Then I look at the price and see it costs more than my car, which makes me think my car is a great vehicle for a cross country trip!
Just buy a convertible and you can legally ride without a helmet in all 50 states! Secondly you will stay much drier when it rains.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I've ridden one and I also teach driving on them. Just between you and me though, I much prefer my 2 wheels than their 3 :D. Mind you the technology in those machines is impressive. Hard braking will actually lift you off the seat. The anti skid for the brakes and tip over protection is really nice to.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've ridden one and I also teach driving on them. Just between you and me though, I much prefer my 2 wheels than their 3 :D. Mind you the technology in those machines is impressive. Hard braking will actually lift you off the seat. The anti skid for the brakes and tip over protection is really nice to.
Yea I mean, they look like a bunch of fun especially out on the freeway compared to the feeling of my bike (I'm not a fan of the interstate) but on the twisties and hills etc I wonder. But like stated before...with a price tag like theirs I'll not be finding out anytime soon.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This has been discussed over and over. Who really cares, as long as it is something that a person can ride and have fun with? I'm sure there are lots of people that want the freedom of a motorcycle with the stability of the CanAm. My wife keeps saying that she would feel much better on the back of a CanAm because her perception is that they're safer. I'd buy one if I had the money...anything to make her more comfortable and want to ride more.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow birchyboy youre a real ray of sunshine huh? The point was to open a discussion on the diff type of rides out there. Who cares? I don't know and wouldn't if I didn't ask. But.....thanks for your input.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow birchyboy youre a real ray of sunshine huh? The point was to open a discussion on the diff type of rides out there. Who cares? I don't know and wouldn't if I didn't ask. But.....thanks for your input.

I'm always the most upbeat of posters :) For some reason, that topic hits a nerve for me. Don't really know why, though....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm always the most upbeat of posters :) For some reason, that topic hits a nerve for me. Don't really know why, though....
We all have those days. ;) and we've never really crossed paths so I haven't had the pleasure of reading your uplifting thoughts. I look forward to em.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm sure there are lots of people that want the freedom of a motorcycle with the stability of the CanAm.
And that is really my issue with them. Nothing against the vehicles themselves, it's the 99% or more of the people riding them who wanted a bike but were too scared to get the real thing. If they are afraid of riding a bike they are still going to be ruled by fear on a trike. I like seeing people get out on whatever makes them happy, but like it even more when they don't go slow in front of me when they are out there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Honestly, when they first came out I thought they were pretty cool but after a couple years, to me it's insignificant meaning I couldn't care less one way or another. If I needed 3 wheels I would prefer them over a Trike or I would just put a huge 30" front wheel on mine and slam it to the ground and use the saddle bags as stabilizers,lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
67 Posts
They remind me of snowmobiles. Something different for sure. To me it seems hard to categorize them as motorcycles. But hey if that's what ya wanna ride, ride it like ya stole it!!! I'll still wave at you!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've actually seen a couple of these Spyders where I live.
They look cool, as r1Madman said, snowobile-like. They sound like a deeper-voiced
sport bike. The seats look extremely comfortable.
However, I would never ride one myself. It just seems like a waste of the freedom a 2-wheeled bike offers.

·
Registered
689 Posts
They look cool, as r1Madman said, snowobile-like. They sound like a deeper-voiced
sport bike. The seats look extremely comfortable.
Speaking of comfort, that's one of the problems with the 2-wheels-in front design. All that steering and suspension hardware means that there's no room to stretch your legs. I'm just over 6 feet tall with bad knees and the "sports bike" leg position would not work for me at all.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I got a chance to test-ride the Spyder a few years back, and was fairly impressed. I have not ridden a standard trike, so can't make a comparison, but rumor has it the steering on conventional trikes is somewhat heavy. The Spyder has electrically assisted power steering, and actually felt pretty natural. I had trouble adapting to the single brake control - the pedal - and kept wanting the front brake lever.

As far as pricing, until the new 3-cylinder came out they were right in the same area as the new Indians, the Honda F6B, and no doubt a bunch of others. I do think anywhere from $17K to $23K is pricey, being as high or higher than a lot of small cars.

A year or so ago I visited a Honda dealership where they told me they had sold somewhere over 50 conventional (mostly Gold Wing based) trikes in the previous year. He told me a side effect was that the women who had been passengers on motorcycles now felt the urge to be the driver on the trike, since the major problem of holding up a heavy bike and its passenger was no longer an issue. You might want to be aware of that before you talk your spouse into a trike of any variety.

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
On my recent vacation out west I went to Berts cycle shop in Azusa, Ca. Its a converted K-mart displaying every bike, watercraft, and atv available. I looked closely at the Can Am's on display as I have an older friend thats 78 and can't ride a two wheel bike anymore as he's had both hips replaced. He's looked at Harley trikes costing more than a Can Am, and the gold wing trike. Both of those are considered "bikes". The salesman showed us the obvious differences and explained that most of his sales involved older bikers that can't ride two wheels anymore, but still have that biker spirit and they're not willing to hang up their helmets just yet. The salesman went on to say that the Can Am's are based on snowmobile design, and are proving to be more stable than a trike. I see many different kinds of bikes in my tri- state area. I've seen trikes tump over rather easily. I've yet to see a Can Am tump over unless its been hit by another vehicle. If a trike is recognized as a "bike", why not give the Can Am's a shot? Just a perspective and my 1.5 cents worth. If it comfortable and keeps the riding going, jump on it and hit the throttle!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
And that is really my issue with them. Nothing against the vehicles themselves, it's the 99% or more of the people riding them who wanted a bike but were too scared to get the real thing. If they are afraid of riding a bike they are still going to be ruled by fear on a trike. I like seeing people get out on whatever makes them happy, but like it even more when they don't go slow in front of me when they are out there.
Interesting that you think it's only peeps to scared to get on 2 wheels. Every trike and can am rider I've met so far went to it because of age/body issues with the bike. So, no newbie riders at all. They are so pricey I don't think they attract newbies - it's not like they have an entry level price point like you can get with a beat up old 250 to learn to ride on...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts