Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off I didn’t go to buy a bike today it as it so happens I needed some parts for the 650 Classic. Went to the Yamaha shop got what I needed then to the bike section as always. Was kinda disappointed they sold the road star I was thinking about but that happens but what really surprised me is they have a huge back room full of bikes. But no more road stars what I saw was a room full of Harley-Davidson can’t quite figure it out so I asked they have been buying all they can get kinda strange I thought but I guess it is keeping them in business. The salesman told me they were a easy sell don’t get me wrong I like all bikes but I thought maybe I’d find a few more Yamahas at the Yamaha dealership. What is everyone’s thoughts do,I have to go to a Harley-Davidson store to get a Yamaha lol.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,948 Posts
Interesting how that works out. In Houston we have Mancuso that's a big Harley dealer with four locations. He has two dealers that cross brand and have a lot of used Yamahas on the floor.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Probably a bigger market for a used Harley then a new, unless you have a whole bunch of free cash laying around , used is the way to go on Harleys.
When I test rode that Livewire they wanted $10,500 down and $691 a month ....

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I’m going shopping again today one stop at the other Honda Yamaha shop and one stop at the Harley-Davidson shop. As I’m kinda looking for a low mileage road star or maybe a 1300 VStar Classic touring model. Was kinda bummed that the one I looked at a few weeks ago was sold. As I’m thinking about all of this seems to be less cruiser style bikes for sale lately I’m seeing more adventure bikes but that’s not really my motorcycle riding style.

·
2,742 Posts
Dam
Probably a bigger market for a used Harley then a new, unless you have a whole bunch of free cash laying around , used is the way to go on Harleys.
When I test rode that Livewire they wanted $10,500 down and $691 a month ....
Damn, that's buying a house, not a "motorcycle".

·
Registered
123 Posts
Around my area there are few roadstars out and about, mostly Harley's. I have nothing against a Harley but I prefer my Roadstar. I was meeting a bunch of buddies to go to Thunder In the Valley from my camp in western PA and a couple of them walked past my bike to sit around the fire and one of them said beautiful Harley. I corrected him with a smile on my face and told him not a HD but a Roadstar. They all ride HD but we get along fine.

·
Registered
956 Posts
It’s not what you ride it’s that you do ride I own three different makes and love to ride all of them for different reasons but still.
Robert have you checked cycle trader in your area? Michigan right? I did a quick check and found a few Yammy's for sale. Lots of Bolts but more than a few 1300 and 1100's. I did not check Ohio yet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I agree with Piersma, I have owned alot of different makes, but I seem to always come back to Yamaha. This last bike still amazes me with the feel and the ride.
When you are bigger or smaller then the norm , when you find something that actually fits it is better then anything else. When I was young and tall and skinny , Yamaha YZ was it, they were the tallest MX bikes on the market at the time , having just come out with monoshocks they were the bomb. Now that I am older I am still tall just not skinny, the length and width of the Stratoliner is perfect . It is taller , wider and longer then almost anything on the road, it has the power to carry us big people at any speed I desire.Everyone out there is different , their riding styles are different , the amount of time riding is different , you just have to find the bike that fits you and your needs. I think it is another reason I like the Strat, not many out there, I see a ton of black harleys , but according to the local Yamaha shop , I have the only Strat in Pensacola they know about. That fits my attitude I am an individual there is no one like me , same with the bike .

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Robert

I dont know if you have picked up on this yet

when Consumer Reports started tracking motorcycles, Yamaha Vstar bikes were at the top of the lists for reliability (followed by Honda and Kawasaki)

HD was 2nd from the bottom of the list
bottom was BMW (because they put so much technology on their bikes something is always pulling it back into the shop)

So... if you want to ride, get a Vstar

if you want to bond with fellow bikers at the shop while your ride is being repaired again: get a Harley, or a Beemer

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah when I bought my previous V Star 1100 I was aware of the report. I wonder how it stands today? You couldn't include most Star bikes because the majority have been discontinued but maybe Harley has improved? All my bud's ride Harley and they are in the shop a lot it seems but they love their bikes as much as I love mine. I could never pull the trigger on a Harley because I can't justify paying what they want for what to me is a toy that I ride 7 months a year on average. Go figure I consider professional athletes salaries immoral if not criminal also. jmo

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m thinking to myself out loud as you can tell I’ve had three Harley-Davidson bikes none have let me down or cost much to keep on the road. I’m also one my fourth Yamaha third Honda one Kawasaki and one Victory. The worst was between the Kawasaki and victory I don’t think I’d buy either again. I believe that it is how good of care you put into the things you own. That being said I also believe that some people just like to find things wrong with there bikes to get out of the house. LOL. As of this year none of my bikes need any major repair work just the same maintenance I always do in the spring time. And each bike usually cost about the same each year as I’m fortunate enough to never have had to take my cars or bikes to a repair shop except bring my rims in for tire replacement.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I had a friend that bought a brand new victory. Motor went on a trip up north after having for 6mo. Trailer home fixed under warranty. Took it in, while if was being repaired he bought another one used.
To each their own.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Consumer Reports tracked new model year owners... for 2 to 4 years (not sure)

and flagged every trip back to the dealer to get something repaired as a reliability hit

it doenst have to be something that renders the bike un-useable - if it has to be fixed in the shop, its a failiure

that is part of the reason BMW was at the bottom of the list - GPS and power windows and remote start and broken seat warmers... all the gizmos beat them into the bottom of the list

and Vstar bikes were the most reliable on that basis

they are not being graded anymore - they dont track used bikes

so its possible if you get a used Harley, with all the factory production mistakes corrected, it might be good - there are no metrics for that

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m also thinking that because nobody is really making the cruiser bike or at least limited production of them they are going to be harder to come across for a fair price. Unless you want a very high mileage one maybe then you might pick one up.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
I got both of my bikes from older riders who decided to give it up for good

Cruiser bikes have a big segment in the older / retired riders

so I think there will be a steady stream of bikes being sold used

the problem with this: unless the person is riding and decides one day to call it quits, most likely these bikes will get parked... maybe for years... with no attention

and then end up on craigslist as "needs TLC"

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I’ve bought the last three bikes from older gentleman that just physically ride anymore the last one witch is the Dyna was stored in the guys basement for 17 years he just didn’t want to admit that he couldn’t ride any more. But he finally let it go only had 1400 miles on it and today it has 1700 miles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If it helps i see less vstars on craigslist. I had to hunt for mine. Couldn't find an 1100 when i bought my VTX
You can say that again Deeks. I thought it would be easy to find a decent Roadstar but they were pretty scarce when I was looking. I almost closed the deal on a Victory Kingpin but the check engine light came on when I was test riding and the owner said he would get it fixed in a week or so. That very day a nice 2006 Roadstar Silverado was posted and all is history now.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts