Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 yamaha v star 1100. Exhaust baffles are removed by previous owner. I assumed it was jetted or adjusted because plugs were a perfect brown.

So now for the bad.
Changed stock air box to ebay spike. Bike lost power but not enough to bother me. Took in on interstate for like 20 minutes (speed limit is 70) I couldn't get up to 70, bike was backfiring and screaming. Got off interstate and it was vibrating and backfiring. Now the front cylinder has a slight knock every 3 or 4 seconds while at idle, does like a triple tick tick tick. My back cyclinder isnt firing consistently. Front pipe is real hot. Back one is significantly cooler than front. I had backfire on deceleration cruise before spike filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also bike has no power above 50 mph. I try to give throttle. Lots of noise but the bike doesn't take off. I'll be switch it back to stock, but I'm just worried I ruined something.

And the bike since I got it had pinged if it drops slightly below 40 in 5th gear is this normal?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
So what jetting changes did you do for the new intake?

If the answer in "none" that is your problem. You're most likely way too lean and hopefully you didn't damage the motor from the excess heat. NEVER EVER change the intake on a motorcycle without complete knowledge of EXACTLY what it will do to the AFR.

Follow the intake manufacturers recommendation for jetting....if there are none as I see with most cheap Chinese stuff.... follow the jetting for a Hypercharger. That'll possibly put you close...maybe, but no guarantees. Buying junk with no support sucks....

As for pinging at 40 in 5th gear...yeah, it'll ping....you're lugging the engine. I never even shift into 5th until I'm doing 60+.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what jetting changes did you do for the new intake?

If the answer in "none" that is your problem. You're most likely way too lean and hopefully you didn't damage the motor from the excess heat. NEVER EVER change the intake on a motorcycle without complete knowledge of EXACTLY what it will do to the AFR.

Follow the intake manufacturers recommendation for jetting....if there are none as I see with most cheap Chinese stuff.... follow the jetting for a Hypercharger. That'll possibly put you close...maybe, but no guarantees. Buying junk with no support sucks....

As for pinging at 40 in 5th gear...yeah, it'll ping....you're lugging the engine. I never even shift into 5th until I'm doing 60+.
Yeah I didn't do anything. I was just trying to see if it could handle it and obviously it couldnt. I changed it back to the stock one today. Everything is back to normal. But my back header doesn't feel as hot as the front one.

I want to switch to vance and hines short shots. Will those come with everything to tell me what has to be done? I'm really knew to all this and I feel so lost. I'm a car mechanic. These bikes confuse me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts