Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Well, a year or so go, I went out to the parking lot to jump on the bike and head home and noticed a minor rupture in the seam on one of my bags. A month or so later I took this picture and, since then, it has gotten quite ugly (see last pic). I could fester on what caused this (and I have had those dark moments) but it is time to seek a solution. What is my best and most cost-effective way to get back to having 2 fine looking bags instead of one?

HELP

Please.

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
You could have it recovered by a seat reuphosterer (is that even a word?). Maybe the Pillowtop guy will chime in. I don't know if he has any experience with that or not.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Agreed with previous posters. Probably a simple fix for an experienced upholsterer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
my buddies 1300 has the same issue... luckily mine is still looking good. Supposedly the key to avoid this is prevention with a proper conditioner that not only protects the leather but the stitching as well. I was told that Harley Davidson has a product that is relatively inexpensive and treats the leather and the stitching to avoid dry rot. Part # is 93600034 and its less than $8

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I use neatsfoot oil on my leather bags, it conditions, preserves and waterproofs leather. It is the same product used on baseball gloves and boots.

LoupGarou

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi folks

I do appreciate the comments and ideas. And I definitely need to get some of that product for dressing the leather.
Well I have talked to a couple of the upholsterer folks and there is some concern that their equipment isn't up to the task of sewing through both the leather and the backer. I will continue to follow that path and see if there is a local outfit that has equipment up to the challenge.
So, who makes these bags? Is there a possibility of just finding a replacement lid?

Thanks, Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts