Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bottom line up front: I am not going to restore Rusty after all.

After working on the Yamato and now Brahma for the last few months, I have to admit that a total restoration is indeed beyond my capability given my location, tools and experience level.

I have a good Virginia title for this ride.
I have a gas cap/ignition and seat lack all keyed together for replacing what is currently there.
I have a new maintenance manual to go with it as well.

And I will help you load it up as it currently does not run (though it ran when parked in 2001 :) ). The engine is free though as are the gears.

When I post this in the wilds of the internet, I will be asking $250. But for you, make me an offer...

20210718a.jpg
20210718b.jpg
20210718c.jpg
20210718d.jpg
20210718e.jpg

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,478 Posts
Pity l live so far away, as the price is oh so right. I would struggle to find a wheel here for twohundredandfifty, let alone a bike.

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
900 Posts
It is a tough call. I almost dragged home a old rusty Yamaha TX750 a friend has. I don't ever remember seeing to many of them thought it would be cool to restore. Then I smartened up and passed on it. I would have put way more into it than I would ever get out of it. I also have better riding bikes already. P.S. it wasn't near as bad as yours there

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rusty is now in the capable hands of a young and eager fellow who now has his first ever motorcycle. He takes his motorcycle safety class on Saturday. The thing is, he sounds like he is good with his mechanic skills as he has restored 2 cars already and working on his third now. He has a buddy with an XS650 and this guy fell in love riding that one. Well, back to working on the other two of my own now...

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
695 Posts
Rusty is now in the capable hands of a young and eager fellow who now has his first ever motorcycle. He takes his motorcycle safety class on Saturday. The thing is, he sounds like he is good with his mechanic skills as he has restored 2 cars already and working on his third now. He has a buddy with an XS650 and this guy fell in love riding that one. Well, back to working on the other two of my own now...
Passing something like that over to a 'youngster' is a good thing. See if you can't get him to send you some pics after he finishes, would like to see it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts