Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOld my Harley VROD, then I wondered into a Yamaha VSTAR dealer and sat on the VSTAR 950 and a couple of other bikes but I kept going back to the 950. I don't fall in love at first blush, but I think it just happened. I am a little apprehensive about the front brakes, and I have never used floor boards on any bike I've owned but these are minor issues. I guess I can put on twin brakes up front(?) I do ride hard into turns...Any and all advice is deeply appreciated!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't have a problem with my brakes, even two up, but you won't be able to get the 950 down as low in corners like the VROD, the 950 scrapes quite quick, maybe take one for a test ride before making up your mind. I love my 950!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum Connor Macleod and the Star familly. One of our members and president of the historical society of the 950 is really fond of his ride and should be along soon to advise you with the cornering abilities of the 950. Of course you know that once you get your new Star, you will have to post pics of it here. Furthermore, you will have to tell us a bit more about yourself, where you plan on riding this new bike, what mods your looking at and if you feel intimidated by mods; give us your CC info and we'll gladly do it for you.

Ride safe and keep it shiny side up.

·
Super Moderator
13,217 Posts
howdy. i fell in love with my 950 the first time i saw it in person and sat on it and turned it on. as for the brakes, someone else has mentioned that you shouldn't compare it to your VROD. one guy told me he took a VROD up to 90mph in 2nd gear. completely different bike than the 950. while it is one of the most nimble bikes in the V Star line, it's still a cruiser and not a drag bike or sport bike. i don't see any need for duel front brakes and if you plan on riding this thing like a crotch rocket and slamming on your brakes, then maybe you're looking for something other than a 950. i just don't want you to get the bike and then be disappointed because of how dissimilar it is from your old VROD.

·
Registered
369 Posts
First just let me say that the 950 is an awesome machine and is the best all purpose cruisers that Star makes, as in, not to big, very nimble for city streets and quick maneuvering in tight situations. But also power to weight ratio and gearing give you plenty get up and go for 2 up freeway riding and can be made very comfortable for long hauls. The mpg can't be beat as long as you stay under 70 mph. Also the price.
The downside is, it's low floorboards and mounts seriously limit it's cornering ability. It's even worse than the 1100.
Of course that can be modded.
If you want a bike that is a lot of fun and liquid cooled like the V-Rod, try a Stryker. Not quit as fast as a V-Rod but much more comfortable and looks awesome.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts