Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

I got tired of chasing an electrical gremlin on the 2009 Road Star so I sold it. Any way took me until last week to find something I wanted to replace it with. I picked up a 1996 Royal Star Tour Classic, with 35K miles on it. Good looking bike and I like how it rolls down the road. I thought going from a 1700 cc engine down to a 1300 cc engine would be a bit of a let down but surprising to me this RSTC has more get up and go than the Road Star. Though the seat is not perfect it is better than the RS stock seat. I don't have to shell out bucks for an aftermarket seat for it.

·
Registered
2022 FKHR Road King, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, 1982 XS650 Heritage Special, 2022 Roadking
3,658 Posts
Great looking machine brother!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I have the RSTC but I have ridden both the Goldwing and the Venture and my impressions are similar to yours. The seat on the GW is not up to the ride. The Venture seat is nice, no complaints. The overall fit of the bike, I find the GW to feel cramped and too small for my size. The Venture is more comfortable because I don't feel like I'm crammed into a smart car. Everything is at my fingertips and I don't feel like I'm going to punch myself in the face every time I make a tight turn. I don't feel the need to have highway pegs with the Venture. I don't recall if the Venture has reverse but never needed it. With the GW I found the reverse gear an occasional necessity. On the Venture I would add the lower deflectors. I have them on my RSTC and like them. I have the highway pegs on my RSTC but never use them. I went from a 1700 cc RS to the RSTC and thought I would miss the bigger engine but surprisingly the RSTC Rocks on down the highway with more than enough power. You will find the same on the Venture. The only complaint I have on the RSTC is the heat off the rear cylinders, you need heat deflectors to protect your thighs on the Sturgis strip.I didn't notice it on the Venture but I didn't drive it in stop and go slow traffic. It may need the same. Over all Venture is a yes and the GW is a no. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was watching some old, 2 years, videos by Motorman and he took a Royal Star Transcontinental for a ride and he said it is probably the best Tour bike out there. He was actually impressed. He thought the seat was a little soft for long trips and should probably be a little firmer. I'm not sure I agree on that as my backside doesn't like the firm seats or the sling/hammock seats. I put a saddlemens renegade seat on the road star and it was a nice seat but it moved me forward on the bike which made me have to lean back a bit to compensate. If I do anything with the RSTC seat I may pull it apart like I did with my Vstar 1100 and resculpt the seat to give me the sitting position that works the best for me. I have been a little disappointed at the lack of aftermarket parts for the RSTC. Maybe I just haven't found the right vendors yet.

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
385 Posts
OK, I have the RSTC but I have ridden both the Goldwing and the Venture and my impressions are similar to yours. The seat on the GW is not up to the ride. The Venture seat is nice, no complaints. The overall fit of the bike, I find the GW to feel cramped and too small for my size. The Venture is more comfortable because I don't feel like I'm crammed into a smart car. Everything is at my fingertips and I don't feel like I'm going to punch myself in the face every time I make a tight turn. I don't feel the need to have highway pegs with the Venture. I don't recall if the Venture has reverse but never needed it. With the GW I found the reverse gear an occasional necessity. On the Venture I would add the lower deflectors. I have them on my RSTC and like them. I have the highway pegs on my RSTC but never use them. I went from a 1700 cc RS to the RSTC and thought I would miss the bigger engine but surprisingly the RSTC Rocks on down the highway with more than enough power. You will find the same on the Venture. The only complaint I have on the RSTC is the heat off the rear cylinders, you need heat deflectors to protect your thighs on the Sturgis strip.I didn't notice it on the Venture but I didn't drive it in stop and go slow traffic. It may need the same. Over all Venture is a yes and the GW is a no. Hope this helps.
As far as the heat goes Harley-Davidson has a fan that mounted to the frame it's small enough you don't even notice it. I saw one on a older tri glide the rider pointed it out with a flip of a switch. Coolest thing ever. The make after market brands he mentioned. The newer Harley-Davidson Milwaukee 8s when at a idle the back cylinder shuts down

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as the heat goes Harley-Davidson has a fan that mounted to the frame it's small enough you don't even notice it. I saw one on a older tri glide the rider pointed it out with a flip of a switch. Coolest thing ever. The make after market brands he mentioned. The newer Harley-Davidson Milwaukee 8s when at a idle the back cylinder shuts down
I've looked at some that are for Harley's but haven't seen one that I really liked. Most that I saw straddled the front and rear cylinders on one side or the other. Did not care for the cosmetics. Same thing on the airhorns that are being sold for motorcycles. I did find a couple of interesting noise makers for the bike. One is a vintage all chrome siren off a police motorcycle and the other is an aooga horn. The siren I'm going to fabricate a bracket for the chrome fender guard so I can mount it on the front fender. I haven't decided where to hide the aooga horn yet. I also got a loud snail horn off of a pickup truck to replace the pitiful chrome one down on the side of the frame below the seat.That way I will have three choices of horns.

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
385 Posts
I've looked at some that are for Harley's but haven't seen one that I really liked. Most that I saw straddled the front and rear cylinders on one side or the other. Did not care for the cosmetics. Same thing on the airhorns that are being sold for motorcycles. I did find a couple of interesting noise makers for the bike. One is a vintage all chrome siren off a police motorcycle and the other is an aooga horn. The siren I'm going to fabricate a bracket for the chrome fender guard so I can mount it on the front fender. I haven't decided where to hide the aooga horn yet. I also got a loud snail horn off of a pickup truck to replace the pitiful chrome one down on the side of the frame below the seat.That way I will have three choices of horns.
You can go to a pick a part and get a older Cadillac horn they super loud!!!! I put one on my goldwing trike for my wife

1 - 13 of 13 Posts