Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Some Musings About The SVTC

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ChiefGunner 
#1 ·
I'm trying to get my 600 miles on the old girl but the weather just won't get out of the 30's. Luckily I snowmobile so I have the clothes. However, as I ride down sand strewn roads and freeze my nuts off, here are some observations.

1. As far as the reason I bought her for, she does excellent. Truly a long range bike. Comfortable seat (so far).
2. It is taking me a little getting use to the low rpm vs my other bikes. First time I took it off I shifted to late and hit the limiter. Not sure that's a big deal but I'm realizing that I need to think is "lugging" and then I make my shifts where they belong.
3. Everywhere here is snow, ice and mud. I tried to start off in a bad area yesterday and found the rear wheeel spinning. Not wanting to spin out on a 1000# bike I decided to use the electric drive and crawled out of the bad area. Pretty cool. Love the hand/seat warmers. Makes a huge difference. The wind deflectors help warm you, too.
4. Mileage doesn't appear to good but I'm just breaking it in.
5. I converted my helmet to wireless as well as the bike. A little pricey but it appears worth it.

Reactions: lesblank
#3 · (Edited)
If you were “spinning out”, you needed to turn your “Traction Control” ON.
It’s that triangular button near the top left of your tach gauge. Conditions like that are exactly what it’s made for!
If you’re still tryouts ng to get break in mileage, I’d highly recommend you read your owners manual AND the Infotainment manual at least 3 times. Then go out and play with the functions with your manual in hand. The better you familiarize yourself with buttons & system operation now, the easier it’ll be to do it second nature while riding. Just a suggestion.

#4 ·
The traction control was on. This ice was clear and a couple of hundred feet long and 2 inches thick with water on it. Not sure what else it could do. The roads are starting to dry, but it will be a while before they are gone.

#6 ·
I can imagine the 8 engineers in a conference room discussing the parameters for the traction control:

We need to set the threshold low enough so the MC can run on wet ice.

3 minutes of laughter

OMG Bob... good one!

Reactions: Yamaha Pat
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.