Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new rear tire from Motorcycle Superstore and brought it over to the old man's place to mount it on my 1100. To get it there, I put on the passenger pillion and cargo rack with the passenger backrest through the middle of the tire, and strapped it down. As you can imagine, part of the tire intruded in the my space as the rider.

You know what? It felt great!

The tire served as a firm backrest, pushing me forward from my normal riding position a few inches. It caused me to sit forward on the seat cushion, and after the 25 mile ride to Dad's, my butt was not sore at all (it would be getting uncomfortable by this point in normal position). But sitting further forward made the largest difference. I felt in more control, in a more aggressive riding position. I was sweeping curves faster, taking turns at quicker speeds. With all that chrome, those big bars and windshield, I have to admit, I am sometimes intimidated by this bike. In this riding position, I felt like I could toss it around like a rag doll. I have not felt that way since riding my GS650 years ago. I actually felt…safer.

I guess I will need to look into Mean City adjusting the seat to get me up higher and further forward…and possibly adding a backrest.

…or just strap my old tire to the back permanently! :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Wouldn't you like to have a dollar for every great idea in history that was learned by mistake or chance? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts