Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new risers for the bike which is only a week old for me. Good morning to get done since it only takes 30 to 45 minutes. Off with the headlight, off with the bars and now off with the...nope. Stripped the Super bolts and now dead in the water. WD-40, heated the bolts a bit with a hairdryer. Now have to call a mobile cycle fixer. Nice quick easy job and now the cost of the risers, cost of the mobile unit and cost to my ego (not to mention the looks I'll get from my wife who says do things I know nothing about). But don't fear I have engine guards on the way and want to do that license plate lay down. Many more potential laughs yet to come.

Mike
St. Pete, Florida
2006 Stratoliner

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Ahhh, the old frozen riser bolt problem. That only happens 1,000 times out of every 1,001 tries.

Heated them with a hair dryer???? That attempt was only several hundred degrees too cold

·
Registered
570 Posts
Glad you have a good sense of humor aboutyour mods. You will need one every time you change something. It is better to laugh a bit that to swear the air blue.
Better luck next time.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
What you needed to do was use a flame torch (without turning the chrome blue, this takes a ton of luck), heat the bolt and surrounding metal and then blast the bolt threads with a can of compressed air,,,,watch your eyes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Remember that all the bolts on these bikes have locktite on them, the riser bolts need to be heated with a propane torch.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Just one of many lessons you will learn as a bike owner.Sounds like you have a good humor so keep with it and don't give up. Hairdryer? That's one for the books.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just realized I can honestly say I've never used a hairdryer on the bike. (In truth, it might have occurred to me to try it on the labels, but being bald, I don't have one around)

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Hey Binomialbrusselsprouts, my "DO" is high and tight and I don't have any need for one either, but I bought my wife a new hair dryer so now I have her old one out in the shop - works great for applying heat shrink tube onto wires.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's amazing how easily the stubborn bolts come off with heat from a torch. it doesn't take much. Also, make sure you have a good quality Allen wrench set and tap the Allen wrench into the hole so you have a good fit. Sometimes a longer pipe over the Allen key will give you more torque. I've also replaced a few bolts after I took them off due to the fact they get a little chewed up at times when they are hard to get off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Binomialbrusselsprouts, my "DO" is high and tight and I don't have any need for one either, but I bought my wife a new hair dryer so now I have her old one out in the shop - works great for applying heat shrink tube onto wires.
I inherited a cheapie heat gun from an uncle that lives in the shop for wiring and decal removal...but come to think of it, it is getting a bit long in the tooth. Might have to buy the wife a new hair dryer. Good call.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am liking the BLOW DRYER idea. . . . . for decals and heat shrink tubing, but for a stubborn bolt, survey says PASS! lol Good try though.beats the cig lighter I tried back when I was learning to wrench.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts