Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone lives nearby and can stop to see and hear XVS650A (17K miles) I bought March 5, 2020, I would really appreciate. I really need your opinion and suggestions/advice. I'm new to Yamaha but not new to bikes, having owned 30 over many riding years, mostly Hondas from 50 cc's to 1500 cc's.

I line in Winter Haven Florida which is midway between Tampa and Orlando

Please let me know if you can come by and hear my 2005 Yam 650 and tell me what you think. Thanks

Jerry
03/16/2020

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What year is your 650?

Can you explain what it is doing?
There are lots of talented people here willing to help but may not be close by.

·
Registered
416 Posts
All I can offer is the two 650 Classic bikes in my collection is that they are kinda noisy from what I was used to engines like to make there own noises. But that being said they always have run great and no mechanical issues have happened to them. They also are a little whiny gear wise going down the road. Also the clutch seems a bit loud until you pull it in and then not as loud.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I can offer is the two 650 Classic bikes in my collection is that they are kinda noisy from what I was used to engines like to make there own noises. But that being said they always have run great and no mechanical issues have happened to them. They also are a little whiny gear wise going down the road. Also the clutch seems a bit loud until you pull it in and then not as loud.
Thanks, good to know

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum.
What year is your 650?

Can you explain what it is doing?
There are lots of talented people here willing to help but may not be close by.
2005 with 17K miles. Hot front cyl, less hot rear cyl. Can't move idle screw so I'm unable to idle. Stuck.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If your idle screw is stuck it helps to have someone hold the throttle open and you lube it with some WD40 or some on that line and try to work it back and forth don’t force it if you have to let it soak for awhile. Probably all of the carb linkage has dried out and has become stuck or corroded.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your idle screw is stuck it helps to have someone hold the throttle open and you lube it with some WD40 or some on that line and try to work it back and forth don’t force it if you have to let it soak for awhile. Probably all of the carb linkage has dried out and has become stuck or corroded.
Thanks. I'll try. Ben trying to move screw but without throttle open. Have sprayed lots of Blaster. Yeah, sat too long.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It may take a bit of time to get it to move but should be able to get it freed up with some time and effort. Are the throttle cables working like they are supposed to or are they a little stuck too. If that’s the case might have to take carbs off and free up the linkage and the throttle cables and if you do that might as well clean the carbs and do things like the valve adjustment. That all would put you in the know that the hard stuff was taken care of.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
white lithium spray grease

WD4D will loosen things up, and then evaporate quickly and leave metal to metal again

did that with my kickstand the first year - kept spraying it with WD4D every week

White lithium lasts about a year

·
Registered
416 Posts
When you use grease it should be used on the threads and not sprayed all over the place as it collects dirt and can cause a issue later on. But that being said most carburetor linkage should be cleaned and then put back in dry as that helps keep the setting as not to come loose from where you’ve set it at. The v twins have a vibration factor that likes to loosen things up with out warning and can cause major frustration.

·
Registered
99 Roadie
24 Posts
I'm not far from you, I'm a seasoned tech with 37 years experience. I can come and look at it if you like.
I have a letter of exemption so I can move around orange county no problem I'm not sure if Polk Co. has a stay at home order yet. I live in Seminole Co.
Shoot me a private message and I'll give you my contact information.

Cheers, Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts