Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Good question. My current bike has a nice radio, CD player and CB. I normally don't use it. The volume needs to be turned up pretty high at speed due to my exhaust, loud enough the whole street can hear it. I've used Bluetooth for years and really like it better. Everyone has their own thoughts on this but for me Bluetooth all the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks it's just the bike I thinking of getting has speakers and just don't know if I should swap it out for better or just get the headsets thanks for your advice

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tried a soundbar when I first got my bike couldn't hear it very well so I went to in helmet speakers. Problem was I wanted to hear some noise around me but couldn't very well with music being piped directly into my ears. So I bought a cheap 20 watt per channel am/fm receiver with usb and audio inputs and 2-3.5" full range marine speakers. Mounted it all in piece of plywood with cutouts and padded, covered, and studded then attached to bars using hidden straps. Worked out very well and can hear at highway speeds. My bike has stock debaffled pipes so not too loud.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use Bluetooth. The sound is phenomenal. Watch the volume though. You can damage your eardrums. The little rubber things that fit around the top of the ear can be annoying sometimes. My helmet has speaker pockets which would be ideal if I could find a set of Bluetooth speaker that produced enough volume but so far I haven't. Plus I think blaring music everyone else can hear is obnoxious, especially at lights.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you have a good Bluetooth system, the helmet speakers will give you very good quality sound... I have both on my bagger, Full stereo and switch to put the music through my J&M elite headsets in my Shoei 3/4 helmets and the sound is great... Better than the fairing speakers at interstate speeds.

·
Registered
344 Posts
IMO I go with speakers on the bike, not headset for safety reasons. Putting earbuds in your ears or over them can make it harder to hear what's going on around you. The closer the music is to your ear, the less ambient sound get in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you have your music blasting over speakers it will impede just as much as over the ear speakers. I have used both for over 10 years with no Ill effects. Of course I listen to music at a relatively low volume. I switch to the helmet when I increase my speed like at interstate.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've actually never had a problem hearing around me when "blasting" my speakers but then again I don't really have it up that loud unless I'm moving fast

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have never noticed a difference between earbuds, helmet speakers, and nothing at all.
You can get earbuds that seal, but I haven't used those often.

I have never been passed on the highway while playing my music. But stopped on traffic, without my earplugs, or earbuds in, I cannot hear a siren till it's almost on top of me, due to just the helmet alone, while sitting at a traffic light. My exhaust is stock.

It also doesn't help they don't use their sirens at all, till they arrive at a stop light, and depend on their lights to do the work, that I cannot see at all due to the helmet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts