Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 07 1100 and at times the starter makes a bad sound like not trying to start but then fires up and doesn't do it again for several starts. Starter seems to be tight and doesn't do it all the time which makesit hard to find. Just wanting to know if anyone else has hade this problem. new to post.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had what sounds like the same problem to this. Mine happened around 18k miles and started only on the first start of the day during cold weather. Try removing your starter and removing both end caps and cleaning out all of the carbon dust, then lube the bushing with a thin grease. Also clean the armeture with scotch brite. It can be a little tricky reinstalling the brushes so be careful.
I actually bought a spare starter off of ebay so I could swap it out and spend time cleaning the removed one. I have not had to use it in almost 35k miles.
Hope this helps
Doug

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I had what sounds like the same problem to this. Mine happened around 18k miles and started only on the first start of the day during cold weather. Try removing your starter and removing both end caps and cleaning out all of the carbon dust, then lube the bushing with a thin grease. Also clean the armeture with scotch brite. It can be a little tricky reinstalling the brushes so be careful.
I actually bought a spare starter off of ebay so I could swap it out and spend time cleaning the removed one. I have not had to use it in almost 35k miles.
Hope this helps
Doug
At least for me, starters on Yammerdogs seem to be the weak point, on mine now as well as in the past, Doug gives good advise on getting them cleaned back up, with your low milage, doubt that's the case, but it is something to remember for later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts