Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just rebuilt the flywheel in my 2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic. Had to replace starter clutch at many V-Star owners have done from my reading. So we get all of that done. Then when we start the bike it had a clanking noise. So I knew timing was off. Took the top end of the rear cylinder cover off to see the cam sprocket. It was off by two teeth. Got that lined up in time. Put it all back together. Go to fire it up. Runs. Runs good. Just doesn’t sound the same. Sounds weak. Like it used to have a deeper tone to it. I’ve got a cobra exhaust kit. Full kit. Not slip ons. Now it sounds similar to a dirt bike in my opinion. I’m not sure what it could be. Sounds like an exhaust leak maybe not. But I’ve double and triple checked all the evap Connects to ensure a sealed fit. If anyone knows anything. Please help.

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid that's a little above my pay grade but there are lots of more experienced people here. I'm sure someone will chime in with some ideas.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Might it only be running on 1 cylinder? If so make sure extra gas isn't going in oil. If you start it tap the pipes to see if hot.

When you start your 1100 don't ever use the throttle to start that will ruin the starter clutch. Always use the choke/enricher.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Yes they both should be real hot if one wasn't firing you could tell in the temp. I am thinking if it was off time you would get some popping.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,173 Posts
I confused how you determined the timing was off by only removing the rear timing gear cover, did you just leave some steps out. From past experience, deeper exhaust tone is from a lot of exhaust timing overlap and lack of power signs of a timing issue. I would recommend to recheck timing on both front and rear.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I confused how you determined the timing was off by only removing the rear timing gear cover, did you just leave some steps out. From past experience, deeper exhaust tone is from a lot of exhaust timing overlap and lack of power signs of a timing issue. I would recommend to recheck timing on both front and rear.
We already had the flywheel timing marks with the woodruff key. That was set correctly. When we cranked it the first time it clanked. Cut it off. The top was off by two teeth marks. Corrected that by taking off chain. Rotating sprocket. Then reinstalling chain.

·
11,173 Posts
Did you confirm the front timing after you adjusted the rear. If the timing is correct, check compression, appears you bent a valve or two one that first crank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you confirm the front timing after you adjusted the rear. If the timing is correct, check compression, appears you bent a valve or two one that first crank.
I believe it is a valve. If all we touched was the rear timing. Then the front should be un touched correct? I don’t see how it would get off time if nothing was adjusted or removed/replaced. I am going to be running a compression test very soon. I am sure that the findings of that will lead to a bent valve. It ran for probably 30 secs with it clanking.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I only needs to run for two revolutions to bend a valve (the piston hits a valve) if the valve timing is off

·
11,173 Posts
The first thing I thought was bent valve, just wanted to confirm the other stuff first. If it is a bent valve, research the cost of rebuild, it normally turns up cheaper to get used, low mileage engine from eBay or other such places. Some here have bought entire engines under $400. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So. Would I be able to put a 1300 motor on my 1100 frame? Or is there a type of kit that converts a 1100 to a 1300 similar to how some harleys convert small sportsters to a 1200.

·
11,173 Posts
The Vstar frames are totally different, there would be lots, and I mean a lot of fabrication. 1100 is shaft drive, 1300 belt drive. Harley frames are all simular in design, so modifying is much easier

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
something you mentioned about air coming out both mufflers

if a cylinder is not firing air will still be pumped out the exhaust - the piston acts like a compressor, pulling vacuum on the carb and pumping air out the exhaust, whether the piston burns the fuel or not

But I dont think the cylinder would burn the fuel if you had a bent valve - with no compression i dont think the fuel mixture would ignite from the spark

so if both pipes are getting hot when its running the compression should be good - I would check it anyway

1 - 16 of 16 Posts