Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, i own a 01 vstar 1100 classic and have had a short problem all summer. I can ride for 5 min or sometimes a couple of hours and then all of a sudden the speedo starts to jump all over the place and then the bike dies. I have disconnected all extras from my bike like stereo, charger etc. Bike is back to factory, just the + and - hooked to a new battery. checked wires and see no breaks checked all fuses and they all seem good. I also checked the stator,rectifier and condenser and the bike is charging properly. Is there something I am missing? It is very discouraging; any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all the people that directed me to the right place in the forum.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
Follow negative battery cable to where is attaches to frame. It's a common issue for rust and corrosion to compromise the connection. Take the cable off and clean the frame and cable end, even if it looks good. Post back results.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I had a similar problem on 01 1100 classic this spring. But mine wasn't charging consistently. my battery would die. Just before it would die the speedo would bounce and the odo would flash and the lights were dim. It turned out to be the rectifier although it passed all the diode tests. When i pulled it out to test it i didn't notice the heat signs on the back. If the battery is charging it sounds more like the ground that Les mentioned

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts